Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> FULGERUL
Andreas von Mach
Posted: September 15, 2003 02:50 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

I have found a list of Russian Danube flotilla on 27.12.1877:
2 monitors: NIKOPOL ,SISTOVO
1 gunboat: VELIKIY KNYAZ NIKOLAY ex FULGERUL
3 steamers: ANETA, KORABIYA , ADA
2 steam boats: OLAFCHIK, DZHIGIT
10 steam cutters: SHUTKA, MINA, OPYT, PEREVENETS, GENERAL-ADMIRAL, PETR VELIKIY, VARYAG, NE TRON MENYA, KREML, GREYG
4 landing boats (kotukhvyhk)
8 oared cutters
8 oared cutters (6 oars)
1 diver boat
74 officers+1296men

I have put this information as in none known me Romanian sources the change of name of FULGERUL was mentioned. Moreover FURGERUL survived WWII.

I am very interesting i somebody knows the mentioned steamers.
(ANETA, KORABIYA , ADA).

If somebody likes I could provide details of steam cutters mentioned.
The monitors are good describen in C.Craciunoiu "Danube Monitors".
PM
dead-cat
Posted: September 23, 2003 06:18 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 99

same C. Craciunoiu has a drawing of the "Fulgerul" in "Corabii Strbune" claiming that there are only 2 close-ups and 3 other photos from the distance.

a google search yielded among other results:

Well, yes, technically Romania already possessed a Navy, for certain warships were acquired following the Great Union of 1859. Nor is it the intention of this writer to cast any aspersions on such noted vessels as the Stefan Cel Mare, the Fulgerul, or the Romania (to say nothing of the Rindunica!), but in all fairness these were Danubian rivercraft of modest stature and often humble armament.

[by Greg Kelly]
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/weliz000.htm

http://www.fortele-navale.ro/despre/istori.../comandanti.htm lists Capt. Murgescu as commander of the boat from 1873-1874.

http://www.actrus.ro/biblioteca/cursuri/is.../capitol_4.html
describes "Fulgerul" as being build for the romanian navy in Toulon 1873; a gunboat of 90 tons with a max. speed of 7 knots. The torpedo boat "Rindunica" was build in the UK 1874.

however i didn't find anything that would confirm the survival of the boat until after WW2. it would be unlikely since, to quote Greg Kelly, it was of modest value. other more performant ships were scrapped upon eaching the point of obsolescence, which the aforementioned boat reached well before the outbreak of WW1.
but, as i said, i didn't find anything.

This post has been edited by dead-cat on February 23, 2010 09:29 pm
PMYahoo
Cristian Craciunoiu
Posted: September 25, 2003 02:01 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 102

I have a photo made in 1968 !!! with an oil tanker at Galatzi on the Danube. The hull cannot be mistaken : it is FULGERUL. It carries an identification number T ??. I must look in my archieve.
Mr. cdr. Popescu Filaret, one of the founders of the Constantza Naval Museum told me that he got the aproval to move it the museum but the Youth Communist Organization of the Galatzi Shipyard was faster and took her to the scrapyard and gor some money.
PM
Cristian Craciunoiu
Posted: October 06, 2003 08:23 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 102

About the mentioned Russian monitors: they were in fact captures wooden gunboats of about 45 m lenght with Krupp guns. One I found this year in the Danube as there was the lowest level of waters ever known ! having no flitlla the Russians rented 3 steamers from private owners.
ADA was the only one with an outstanding achievement. With a millitary Russian crew she descended the Danube from Calafat to Giurgiu, passing all Otoman fire. It is a long story and we found a picture of her, before beeing destroyed by artillery fire.
PM
Andreas von Mach
Posted: October 07, 2003 11:58 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 84

The 5 Turkish armoured gunboats were built by the same shipyard as FULGERUL. Two mentioned above were seized by Russians.
PM
sandy
Posted: December 17, 2003 06:14 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 167

I am trying to obtain information on Fulgerul. I have a 2 metre steam powered model and would appreciate being informed of any aspect of the history of Fulgerul. I would also like to know why this little Romanian ship is so well known - what is it about it that makes it so famous? Any help at all would be of value. It is the most interesting warship of any, to me.
PM
sandy
Posted: December 27, 2003 08:18 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Come on you guys, I know you are out there, just on the edge of letting me know all about Fulgerul, all you need is that little extra push, its getting boring reading my last post over and over again, let us move on, please just take that step and pass on your information. Do not worry about your English, I'm Australian and we murder the English language all day long.

It seems crazy but a copy of a painting of Fulgerul just appeared on my hard drive a week or so ago, where it came from or who sent it I don't know. If someone sent this thanks whoever you are. I know that this sounds strange but that is what happened.

So let it all out and if I can help with information on the relationship between the Romanian and Australian armed forces during WW2, just let me know - I don't think there was any contact at all but you never know. The Romanians just froze and the Australians just roasted.
PM
Indrid
Posted: December 28, 2003 10:21 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

sandy, you`re australian? did that crocodile hunter die already?

sorry to be off-topic :cheers:
PMICQ
sandy
Posted: January 02, 2004 07:12 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Every Australian infantryman is a crocodile hunter. They train in the bush and in the bush can be found spiders (as big as dinner plates, towards the end of the day in jungle they become invisible in the darkening light - you walk into their web), snakes (the world's most venomous, our platoon sergeant used to throw death adders at young soldiers who upset him, our quartermaster had a python in his store that would coil around an intruder and bite their face off, 2 metre long lethal tiger snakes sense your body warmth and quietly slide into your sleeping bag), crocodiles, deadly plants (4 strong men needed to hold you down if you touch a Gympie bush), jellyfish (one stung soldier was totally sedated and was still screaming even though unconscious), fevers (if a mosquito gives you Ross River fever you spend much time in a dark room and if someone accidently lets light in your screams will be heard 100's of metres away), wild asian buffalo that gore you, razor back boars that disembowel you, scorpions, sharks off the beaches, goannas (aggressive giant lizards that tear your stomach open), bulldog ants etc., etc. Serving in nearby Borneo one Australian soldier was killed by a tiger and another crushed by a wild elephant.

You can die of thirst in the desert, be eaten by crocodiles, poisoned by spiders and be forever lost in the jungle.

And then they still get your pay wrong.
PM
Indrid
Posted: January 03, 2004 08:11 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

thanks for the info but i meant steve irwin......that crocodile hunter.... smile.gif
PMICQ
sandy
Posted: January 03, 2004 09:21 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Oh him. Yes, he is special. I will not waste your time any further - Steve Irwin is the man when it comes to scaring the living daylights out of yourself. Back to Fulgerul.
PM
Petre
Posted: July 22, 2009 02:30 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

According to The Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye 1919, after WWI, The Austrian Fleet was divided and Romania received 7 torpedo boats (260-320 t). The ships were named Viforul, Vartejul, Vijelia, Naluca, Sborul, Smeul and Fulgerul. Unfortunately, Fulgerul never arrived in Romania : the ship overturn and get lost on Feb.8, 1922 in the Black Sea ( near(?)Bosphor), fighting with a big storm.

This post has been edited by Petre on June 08, 2012 09:03 am
PMEmail Poster
alferes
Posted: February 23, 2010 08:59 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2743

Hello Andreas I would like to know if you did research on the two frigates that Mr Henry Eckford built for Colombia in 1825. I saw a refence with your name at http://oceania.pbworks.com/CNS%20Colombia-1825.
I have a few pictures I took, of the frigate Colombia model at the Museo Naval de la Armada del Ecuador. I have several research documents but need to find out more. I tried to contact you privately but forum system did not work for me. Thanks
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0337 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]