Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Dacians, anything about them
Imperialist
Posted: August 04, 2006 09:34 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

Assurnasirpal II (883-859) period

wall relief from facade of throne room, foreigners:

user posted image

head of a Dacian prisoner, The Imperial Fora 107-113:

user posted image

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: August 18, 2006 04:33 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

MUST READ:

This site is currently dedicated to the publishing on the Web

of the first (ongoing) English translation of

PREHISTORIC DACIA by Nicolae Densusianu

http://www.pelasgians.bigpondhosting.com/contents.htm

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: November 01, 2006 11:13 am
Quote Post

General de armata

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: August 23, 2007 09:39 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Major archaeological discovery at Sarmizegetusa

A team of archaeologists from Transylvania’s National History Museum (MNIT) made one of the most important discoveries within the Sarmizegetusa Ulpia Traiana – the Capitolium.

http://www.nineoclock.ro/index.php?page=de...20070824-504771

--------------------
I
PM
Victor
Posted: May 31, 2008 05:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

http://www.dacia.org/mag-2007-42.pdf

An article in this magazine tells about the possible existence of another Dacian fortress in the Orastie Mountains complex, yet to be discovered. The author, Dan Oltean is the same person who discovered the Roman fort at Chitrid, dating from the first war.

Dan Oltean is a an amateur archaeologist who also authored a book called Religia Dacilor, which I have been struggling to read for quite a while now. Rather heavy writing, in the style of Iorga IMO.

Off topic posts were split and merged with a similar topic: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=2957
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
21 inf
Posted: May 31, 2008 06:10 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

The efforts made by dacia.org are great, but unfortunatelly, very poor sustained with solid proofs. They are a group of enthusiasts, all the respect for them, but even the article presented above is based purely on hypothesis, the only solid and real proof being the two "plinte", but the rest is only speculation for the moment.

This organisation have in her ranks some profesionist historians, more or less contested by their fellow historians.

I have all the respect for this organisation, for their efforts and for their enthusiasm, but the informations they present without solid scientific arguments can be rather dangerous at some point for uneducated minds.

I posted this only for those who didnt know very much about this organisation, yet.
Victor
Posted: June 02, 2008 05:45 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I agree. The theories about Romans actually being Dacians and others in these category are obviously aberrations, but the theory about the existence of a Dacian fortress on that valley are more realistic.

In my opinion the Dacian civilization is much underrated and much more should be invested in its research. Obviously not as spectacular as the ancient Greeks or Egyptians, but it has its own unique features, which are also very interesting. It could also be a profitable touristic attraction.

They are after all the most important contributor in the formation of what is today the Romanian nation.
21 inf
Posted: October 04, 2008 03:51 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0410 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]