Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> MALAXA TIP UE CARRIER
Agarici
Posted: September 03, 2011 07:10 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Agarici @ April 03, 2010 09:08 am)
QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ January 22, 2006 06:58 pm)
I am interested in any information regarding The Romanian Malaxa tip UE. Also any photos of them in service

UE Malaxa chenillette at military parade. Source D.M. coll.
user posted image

Cantacuzino, do you know when was the photo taken (before September 1940)?

In the left of the picture, attending the parade, there are a couple of individuals apparently wearing "cavalerii Ordinului Mihai Viteazul" (the knights of "Mihai Viteazul" order) white outfit - which was very fashionable during Carol II reign.

Thank you!

Any similarities between the image above and that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9WjORKKCI (see the „Mihai Viteazul" Order white cape)?
PMEmail Poster
Mircea87
Posted: September 03, 2011 11:57 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2812

Some frames with Malaxa Tip UE carriers can be seen here: http://anr.infoideea.ro/basarabia1940/page8.html
PMEmail Poster
MMM
Posted: September 04, 2011 04:39 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

I would very much like to read about the behaviour on the frontline of the above-mentioned "carriers"; I haven't found any infos yet...

This post has been edited by MMM on September 04, 2011 05:37 pm

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Florin
Posted: September 05, 2011 08:02 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (MMM @ September 04, 2011 11:39 am)
I would very much like to read about the behaviour on the frontline of the above-mentioned "carriers"; I haven't found any infos yet...

Hi MMM,

Just looking to the photos in this topic, it is obvious that the tracks and their damping system were not able to absorb the shock happening at high speeds - assuming that the engine would be able to reach such speeds.

Also, the tracks are narrow, prone to sink in the mud with the first chance available.
The small wheels supporting the tracks could get easier stuck than in later track designs.
So it looks like an average vehicle with tracks, in no way better or worse than many others deployed by the Axis in the first two years of Eastern Front.
I am assuming you know that any time the self propelled vehicles got stuck in the mud, the good old horse was called to the rescue.

This post has been edited by Florin on September 05, 2011 08:08 pm
PM
MMM
Posted: September 06, 2011 06:51 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Hi, Florin!
I've noticed all the above, as I already studied the data about all the armour of Romania at the beginning of Barbarossa! I presumed quite easily that it was an average vehicle - or less - but I wanted to know if there are any statistics about them, like there are about the tanks! Like that:
R-2

This post has been edited by MMM on September 17, 2011 08:17 am

--------------------
M
Radub
Posted: September 06, 2011 09:17 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 476

The Malaxa UE carrier was simply a mechanised method of replacing the horse or ox. Its purpose was simply to tow loads, be they cannons or trailers of supplies. Basically, they were "tractors".
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Agarici
Posted: September 06, 2011 09:20 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Agarici @ September 03, 2011 07:10 pm)
QUOTE (Agarici @ April 03, 2010 09:08 am)
QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ January 22, 2006 06:58 pm)
I am interested in any information regarding The Romanian Malaxa tip UE. Also any photos of them in service

UE Malaxa chenillette at military parade. Source D.M. coll.
user posted image

Cantacuzino, do you know when was the photo taken (before September 1940)?

In the left of the picture, attending the parade, there are a couple of individuals apparently wearing "cavalerii Ordinului Mihai Viteazul" (the knights of "Mihai Viteazul" order) white outfit - which was very fashionable during Carol II reign.

Thank you!

Any similarities between the image above and that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9WjORKKCI (see the „Mihai Viteazul" Order white cape)?

Thanks to Mircea87 (see the post and link above), things are clear now: the chenillete was photographed and filmed at the 10 Mai parade, 1940, in Bucharest.

Same origin for the AA trucks photos posted by Cantacuzino in this older topic: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1404
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: September 06, 2011 10:38 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The Soviets made use of a similar tractor: Komsomolets. The captured pieces were used by Romanian Army under the designation of Ford rusesc de captura

http://worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=247

http://battlefield.ru/ru/tank-development/...omsomolets.html
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
MMM
  Posted: September 17, 2011 08:21 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

QUOTE (Florin @ September 05, 2011 11:02 pm)
I am assuming you know that any time the self propelled vehicles got stuck in the mud, the good old horse was called to the rescue.

OoT, but I really would like to find out the truth: in the documents (and books) I have consulted, both German and Romanian authors are stating that Romanian horses were much less stronger than those of the Wehrmacht. How comes that? Did they have such a good "type" of army-horses, opposed to our conscripted animals?

--------------------
M
Radub
Posted: September 17, 2011 08:44 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (MMM @ September 17, 2011 08:21 am)
QUOTE (Florin @ September 05, 2011 11:02 pm)

OoT, but I really would like to find out the truth: in the documents (and books) I have consulted, both German and Romanian authors are stating that Romanian horses were much less stronger than those of the Wehrmacht. How comes that? Did they have such a good "type" of army-horses, opposed to our conscripted animals?

I do not know how big horses were in WW2, but I can tell you for sure that the horses you see pulling carts nowadays around Romania are tiny compared to draft horses I had the chance to see at various shows in Great Britain and Ireland.
It is likely that some German Warmbloods were stronger breeds of draft horse, purposely selected and bred for extra strength.
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1314 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]