Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Me -109 questions, info needed
Radub
Posted: December 19, 2005 11:06 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

QUOTE (mykyb @ Dec 18 2005, 10:22 PM)
Hi Radu,

Thanks for your answer.
It's seems logical what you've been saying about the camouflage and about white patches.I have the photos too and it seems to me your idea is correct.Even so,I'll drop this" Winter Gustav" paint job.I like it very much but for me there are too many unanswered question regarding this particular a/c and anyway I don't have the technology to print white for the 53 Sqd.Mickey Mouse emblem.I wish you good luck whit your project and I'm looking forward for your posts.
I don't criticizes your work,I just read a post where you sad you like the "clean" a/c, e.g. Hurricane which is by me the most beautiful Hurry I've ever seen but it's too clean for me.Bay the way,this Gustav used in Winter conditions on dirty and wet airfield can't be a clean one.I'm not saying to put dirt around the wheels I just want you to think like this.How your car will lucks like when you drive in a rainy day behind a truck?In Romania not UK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Now check your car next day after the car is dry out.The same thing whit the a/c.The airflow behind the propeller will spray the hole body whit dirty water, etc.I don't think that in war condition they have time to clean out the a/c.I'm private pilot too and what I saw on the a/c flown by me that actually the dust combined whit oil licks( when you change the oil,not necessarily when the oil is liking from the tank or a broken oil lines,which for the front line a/c is not uncommon) and water from rain they will set between the panel lines,around the rivets and in many other places where the ground crew can't rich but it can be seen.So,don't be afraid to use washes.I believe I don't have to talk about the condition of the paint on a refurbished a/c wasn't repainted only where the German markings was.I know that the mechanics had "asa zisi bocanci cu cuie,bocanci cu talpa de piele prinse in cuie"I'm following your last build and rely like it I just have one thing you to change.The chain on the left side of the cockpit must bi repainted in black and drybrush whit gun metal,in this way they'll looks more a chain.

Hi Andi,
Thanks for the kind words.I'll respond to your request soon,I want to put some photos for e.g.It's easier to follow.

HTH,
Miki

Mykyb,
I hope that you noticed the fact that I am not a follower of fashion.
Yes, it is fashionable nowadays to paint aircraft models as if they were dragged though muck, dropped in swamps, scratched by hooligans with keys, bleached by tropical sun (even in Russia), using poor fuel with badly tuned carburretors that cause gianormous exhaust stains, and to top it up - such planes seem unable to hold any liquid of any kind for too long. Oh yes, and they wear neatly blackened rivets all over! biggrin.gif
I do not do that. As a matter of fact, I do things MY WAY. However, I respect anyone else's choice of model building and finishing. They do it THEIR WAY. Fine by me.

My models are weathered, they show wear and tear, leaks, chipped paint, dirt, etc. However, I keep all that to a minimum and subtle. It may not show up in photos, but it is there in real life, believe me.
For me, less is more.

By the way, your models are beautiful. Have you ever thought about entering competitions?

Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 19, 2005 01:05 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

The camouflage of "White 7" has to be the most baffling issue I ever came across

This was the reason that both ( Denes and me) suggested Miki to avoid modeling this Bf 109 "white seven". To many contradictions and unclear issue.

Winter cammo on a romanian Bf 109 is a nice wisdom for every modeler.

Yes Radu, you can say the light spot on" white seven" are white washable paint if you want that dream came through. cool.gif

Last night i had a dream to built a Bf-109 model with bright colors. And now looking with a magnifier to "white seven" the light spots looks more close to pink color. Maybe my dream could also came through tongue.gif

Sorry Radu, for my bad joke.

I study romanian messerschmitts for many years. I have a lot of pictures with them. I made corrections to color profiles published im some well known magazines and books ( including your french reference TMA- Messerschmnitts roumaines).
I know i can make also mistakes and I accept corrections with clear and logical proof.

Sorry, but for this "white seven" I can not agree with your opinion ( winter cammo). Btw. I have better original high res. pictures with "white seven" not like the poor quality pictures published.

And I don't know why you sent Miki to us ( forum thread) if you had the right and final answer for him.

Dec 17 2005, 06:35 PM 

Thank you C-2.I had changed some e-mail whit Radu and hi was who sent me here for help.
Thanks
Miki 

I don't know who start this crazy issue with winter cammo "white seven" Bf 109G.
I believe a polish magazine some years ago .

I remember that the same crazy issue was with Serbanescu Bf 109 G2 "white 1"
for many years believed to be "yellow 1" just because was first published in Modelism and in some polish sources colored like that.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on December 19, 2005 01:28 pm
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 19, 2005 01:18 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

1. Why use grey spots on top of the existing camouflage on a plane?
2. If not concealment, what was their purpose?
3. What colour were those light colour spots? Grey? Green? Earth? White? 

Your questions should be asked to ex workers in ASAM who probably made the revisions to this romanian Messerschmits ( see the romanian stencil "Nu calca" on white 3). Do you think that workers were so inteligent to think like you or germans in terms of right cammo ?

In my opinion that light color spot were light grey or blue grey color.
But it's only my opinion and I could be wrong ( it could be also dirty white or pink tongue.gif ).

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on December 19, 2005 01:35 pm
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 19, 2005 01:44 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

The photos in Otopeni and the photos in Mizil may have been taken only three months apart. Is it possible that the Otopeni photos were taken in the snow in February and the Mizil photos were taken in May? That would explain the presence of white mottles during summer. Please note that in these photos, "White 4" appears to wear the same light colour spots. In the photo of the crashed "white 4", the light colour spots are gone (except for the wingtip). Is it poossible that the light colour mottles were removed at some stage after these Mizil photos were taken?

The pictures in Otopeni and pictures in Mizil were taken at least 6 month apart ( from july- august '43 Mizil to february '44 Otopeni).

The planes from Mizil were used in Tidal Wave scramble on 1 august '43. So i can not find the reason (in hot summer) the white washable paint was present on any Bf 109 from 53sq.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on December 19, 2005 01:45 pm
PM
Radub
Posted: December 19, 2005 02:19 pm
Quote Post

Hi Cantacuzino,
I do not have the answer. For that reason, everywhere in my post I used the words "I believe that...". By a long shot, that does not mean "I know for a fact that..." or "you must all bow down in front of me for I am the bearer of the one true wisdom"!
In other words, it means "Eu cred ca..."

That was why I opened the subject - so that we can discuss it in more detail. I love a good fair argument.

That is also exactly the reason why I sent mykyb to this forum. I am not an expert and I never claimed to be one - I prefer this kind of discussion rather than make sweeping statements like "It must be so because I say so."

Anyway, to return to the subject of "white 7". Considering that you have the photos, knowledge and experience, can you please come up with a good and plausible description of the colours used on this plane based on the historical data available? I would definitely like to build a model of it.

Radu

Cantacuzino
Posted: December 19, 2005 03:35 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Anyway, to return to the subject of "white 7". Considering that you have the photos, knowledge and experience, can you please come up with a good and plausible description of the colours used on this plane based on the historical data available? I would definitely like to build a model of it.

Radu

Radu,

Have mercy. You asking to much from me. I don't have so much free time to check all the spots ( what color should be every spot) on this specific "white seven.
I can tell you ( in my opinion) that i believe this was originally standard RLM grey colors oversprayed with green patches and posible light grey or blue gray color patches .

PM
Radub
Posted: December 19, 2005 04:20 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Dec 19 2005, 03:35 PM)

Radu,

Have mercy. You asking to much from me. I don't have so much free time to check all the spots ( what color should be every spot) on this specific "white seven.
I can tell you ( in my opinion) that i believe this was originally standard RLM grey colors oversprayed with green patches and posible light grey or blue gray color patches .

Thanks, that is a start.
I think that the different colour of the light colour spots may have something to do with the density of the spray. Thicker spray is more oapque, so it appears brighter. A lighter spray is darker as it allows the colour underneath to show through.
HTH
Radu
mykyb
Posted: December 19, 2005 07:39 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 743

Hi to all,
Thank you Cantacuzino for the profile,you convinced me.Indeed "yellow 9" is a nice one even if it will be difficult to do the "Hai fetito"but I hope I'll succeed whit it.Presently I'm working on a Spitfire Mk Vb served on Malta and right after I'm done whit it I'll start this one.Could you give me some advise regarding how do I have to make the paint job on the underside of the wings, because you gave me a link where I found a photo showing the underside of the wing of this a/c and I see both the Michael Cross and the roundels in the same time?Could you clear me up in this matter?Correct me if I'm wrong but do I have to paint the roundels first and than apply the Michael Cross ?I have to clear up some other things too.Was the spinner painted 3/4 black and 1/3 white ?How deep do I've to paint yellow from the wing tips,do you have any close up photo of the victory bars?I know that inside of the bars was written the date and place of the victory? The last thing about the data stencils,were they in German or Romanian after the a/c were repainted in dark green?
Cantacuzino,would you be so kind and help me to chose another G2 or G4 for my next G series,please?
Radu,
I hope I didn't upset you whit my post because I didn't want it rolleyes.gif ,if so,forgive me.You're a hell of the scratchbilder biggrin.gif but I like the models to luck like they were used not brand new which is everybody choice blink.gif ,keep up the good work and the posts.
Miki................
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: December 19, 2005 09:15 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (mykyb @ Dec 19 2005, 07:39 PM)

Radu,
I hope I didn't upset you whit my post because I didn't want it rolleyes.gif ,if so,forgive me.You're a hell of the scratchbilder biggrin.gif but I like the models to luck like they were used not brand new which is everybody choice blink.gif ,keep up the good work and the posts.
Miki................

Hi Mykyb,
No upset caused. Thanks for the kind words.
Radu
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 19, 2005 11:06 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Thank you Cantacuzino for the profile,you convinced me.Indeed "yellow 9" is a nice one even if it will be difficult to do the "Hai fetito"but I hope I'll succeed whit it

Hi Miki,

I am glad that I convince you to do "yellow 9".
For 1/32 scale it will be more easy to paint ( by hand) the name "Hai Fetito" written on cowling. I have friends ( painters) who succeded such kind of task at 1/72 scale.

Could you give me some advise regarding how do I have to make the paint job on the underside of the wings, because you gave me a link where I found a photo showing the underside of the wing of this a/c and I see both the Michael Cross and the roundels in the same time?Could you clear me up in this matter?Correct me if I'm wrong but do I have to paint the roundels first and than apply the Michael Cross ?

Originally this "yellow 9" was from the first batch of rom. E-mils received in 1940-41 and painted with roundells. Later ( before Barbarosa campaign) all rom. planes were repaint with Michel cross . During Stalingrad campaign probably because of hard winter condition (and bad quality paint) the underwing old roundells start to appears .

Was the spinner painted 3/4 black and 1/3 white ?How deep do I've to paint yellow from the wing tips,do you have any close up photo of the victory bars?I know that inside of the bars was written the date and place of the victory? The last thing about the data stencils,were they in German or Romanian after the a/c were repainted in dark green?

Yes the spinner was painted 3/4 black and 1/3 white.
The distance for yellow wing tips it's very clear in the picture (see attached).
The white victories bars on " Hai fetito" doesn't have written any data. Mostly E-mils have simple white ( ground) victories bars with no data.
All romanian E-mils were originally painted with the dark green ( german RLM) and probably with german stencils. After revisions done in IAR Brasov in '43 the survivors were repainted with olivgreen ( like "Yellow 64'") and used in '44 by 52sq .

user posted image

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on December 20, 2005 06:38 am
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 19, 2005 11:11 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Cantacuzino,would you be so kind and help me to chose another G2 or G4 for my next G series,please?
Radu,

I will try to do my best wink.gif
PM
mykyb
Posted: December 20, 2005 12:21 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Hi Mykyb,
No upset caused. Thanks for the kind words.
Radu

Hi Radu,
I'm glad we understand each other!

Cantacuzino,
Your ma men,
I have no words to thank you.I really appreciate your help.About the 109 G6 you also helped me out posting the fabulous "Blue 10",I really like this art work of Mr.Melinte.Now I'm looking a G2 or G4.Could you give me some ideas about this109G.For ex:
Was the upper side of the wing tip painted in yellow too?
The paint it seems to me RLM 74/75/76.
The emblem of the 7th FG was it painted on both side or only the left one?
And the most important issue for me is what was the camouflage pattern style on the wings and stabilizer of this "Gustav".I'll post some for e.g.Maybe I'll be lucky.One more thing and I'm done.Could you magnify the Sqd. emblem cause it's the most beautiful G I've ever seen.
Thanks for this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miki.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mykyb
Posted: December 20, 2005 12:22 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Nr 2

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mykyb
Posted: December 20, 2005 12:24 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Nr.3
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 20, 2005 10:47 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

do you have any close up photo of the victory bars?I know that inside of the bars was written the date and place of the victory?

Close up victories bars. Picture courtesy G-ral Dicezare Ioan

user posted image
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0418 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]