Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Spitfire with Red Stars, Spitfire in Soviet Union service
Jeff_S
Posted: December 14, 2005 02:35 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Members
Member No.: 309

QUOTE (D13-th_Mytzu @ Dec 13 2005, 09:58 PM)
About the Zero - they did not fly the same type from start of war untill the end smile.gif they did use different models with various improvments (from speed, manouvrability and amrament).

Thanks for the insights.

I know the Zero evolved, but were the changes universally regarded as improvements? The addition of cockpit armor and self-sealing tanks may have been welcome, but it came at the expense of speed. Did production Zeros use something other than the 940hp Sakae engine? That's not so much when you're flying against later American fighters with 2000hp or more.

What I was actually referring to was that early success made the Japanese complacent. They designed more effective aircraft, but didn't really build so many of them. The inferiority of the Wildcat and P-40 inspired the Americans (OK, "made them desperate" might be a better description tongue.gif )
PMYahoo
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: December 14, 2005 03:15 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

I agree smile.gif what I initially understood was that japanese did not improve the Zekes and kept flying same plane all time during the war.
Thanks Zayets - that's what I also said, Yak1b got in big enough numbers to the frontline squads starting 1943. For '42 and '42 they ahd to do with Yak7b and Yak1 which were inferior to Yak1b (please keep in mind the difference between paper and real production characteristics).
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: December 14, 2005 04:07 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

There was an article on Spitfires in Soviet service, printed in the French magazine 'Avions'.

The best photo coverage of the type can be found in the Finnish historian Carl-Fredrik Guest's series of books, titled: 'Red Stars', published by Apali.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0324 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]