Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> General of Aviation Ciofu, Info needed
mabadesc
Posted: November 27, 2005 06:42 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

When I was in grade school, one of my classmate's grandfather used to come to our class every once in a while to talk to us about aviation and the military. He always came in parade costume, with gilted dagger and blue overcoat. BTW, he was very kind and nice to us kids and answered all the stupid 1st grade questions we had with immense patience and a smile on his face.

At the time, in 1980 or so, he was a reserve (retired?) General of Aviation, and his name was Ciofu. He died shortly afterwards, and rumor had it that he was one of a group of generals who was plotting the overthrow of Ceausescu. The plot was discovered, and he was called to see Ceausescu. After his conversation with Ceausescu, when he was leaving, he fell on the steps of the building and died, either from a heart attack or from some other "unknown" reason.

I lost touch with my friend, but I was always curious once I grew up to find out more about this guy.

I remember that whenever my grandfather (an artillery colonel during WWII) picked me up from school and saw him, they used to chat for a while. You could tell the mutual respect they had for each other and the true comraderie and military bond: they used to address each other as "Domnule Colonel" and "Domnule General" even though they were just two grandfathers picking up their grandkids from school and waiting for them to finish playing socccer in the schoolyard - quite moving, really.

Could someone give me more information about him and his activity during WWII? Once again, his name was Ciofu, and in 1980, just before he died in suspicious circumstances, he was a General of Aviation.

C-2, maybe you can ask Di Cesare when you talk to him if he has heard of this person. Anyone else - any info you have would be great.
PM
C-2
Posted: November 28, 2005 06:16 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Nobody heard about him.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0332 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]