Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Battle of Britain Hurricane, Found under an untersection in London
C-2
Posted: November 29, 2005 01:08 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Yesterday night I saw on NG an amaizing story;
During the battle of Britain,more accurate on the 14.Sept 1940,a young and very rookie Britisch pilot atacked a Do 17.While chasing him ,he was hit by a very secret weapon .
It was a flame thrower on the Dornier tail.Only that it didn't worked and only sprayed the Hurrie with oil.
The pilot (Ray ?????) lost all visual contact around.After a few min,the windscreen got cleaned,and he found himself alone over London.Suddenly he saw another Dornier,with a smoking eangine,coming very close to the Buckingham palace...
He chased him nut when he opened fire,nothing happened...he was out of amo...
Then he did something amazing;with his wing he rammed the Do 17's tail and cut it!
Then he bailed out togethet with the German pilot.
It's not a bed time story,since it was filmed and milions saw it from the ground...
He almost hit some hight tension wires,but landed into a house garden and was hugged and kissed by two small girls and later by a whole neighbourhood.
In a few hours he was back in Biggin Hill.
The German pilot asmost got linched by the angry croud,and died the next day.
The Hurricane,went verticaly into the ground and that was it.
In 2004 ,the pilot son and a resercher,with the help of very modern equip. found the plane and dug out his remains.Since the wood was rotten,nost parts were from his V-12 RR eangine.
On the last day of the diggins,the pilot (who was 89) came too.He wasn't in that place for 67 years...
You schould see the people around cheering him and waving flags....
PMUsers Website
Agarici
Posted: November 29, 2005 03:43 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

True story, I saw it myself a while ago. Even most interesting is the fact that the very moment when the Hurricane rammed the Dornier was caught on film back in 1940, and some of the eye witnesses from that time (the Londoners who were watching the fight from the ground, or those who found he downed pilots) got interviewed for this documentary.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: November 29, 2005 04:05 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Agarici @ Nov 29 2005, 03:43 PM)
True story, I saw it myself a while ago. Even most interesting is the fact that the very moment when the Hurricane rammed the Dornier was caught on film back in 1940, and some of the eye witnesses from that time (the Londoners who were watching the fight from the ground, or those who found he downed pilots) got interviewed for this documentary.

Could it be the first case of western kamikaze attack in the war?

--------------------
I
PM
Agarici
Posted: November 29, 2005 04:43 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

I'm not sure, Imperialist, but I have some recollections about a similar case, with a Polish PZL ramming a German bomber in 1939. Again, I'm not 100% positive about that. I think I have found this info on a site about the PZL in Polish service, as a result of a Yahoo or Google search for the PZL 11 fighter.

This post has been edited by Agarici on November 29, 2005 05:15 pm
PMEmail Poster
i16stealth
Posted: December 02, 2005 06:01 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 170

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Nov 29 2005, 04:05 PM)

Could it be the first case of western kamikaze attack in the war?

I don't think that "kamikaze attack" and "ramming attack" are synonims. In the first case the pilot is trying to survive and often reaches this goal.

This post has been edited by i16stealth on December 02, 2005 06:03 am
PM
C-2
Posted: December 02, 2005 09:06 am
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

I agree.
PMUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: December 02, 2005 10:24 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (i16stealth @ Dec 2 2005, 06:01 AM)
I don't think that "kamikaze attack" and "ramming attack" are synonims. In the first case the pilot is trying to survive and often reaches this goal.

You mean in the second case.

--------------------
I
PM
C-2
Posted: December 04, 2005 05:25 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Dicesare saw today the documentary.
He told me that exept of the case of Carol Anastasescu,there is another case of ramming;in the first days of the was an IAR 80 pilot,Claru Vasile,from Dicesare's promotion 1939 ,rammed a Soviet plane.He died ...
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: December 04, 2005 07:26 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The case of Vasile Claru isn't that clear (see http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/?article=687). And neither is Anastasescu's.

The VVS pilot that Claru hit, a certain lieutenant Shamanov from 67 IAP, is mentioned by Soviet sources as the one that initiated the taran. We may never know who actually did it, Claru or Shamanov.

Anastasescu has been discussed several times already.

The one Romanian pilot who actually made a successful taran (he survived) is Laurentiu Catana.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0311 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]