Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ?_Rom. 110.InfBrig & Russian landing at JIBRIENI @ 24/08
Michi
Posted: September 06, 2003 07:04 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

Hello,

are there any additional informations about the Russian landing at JIBRIENI on 24th August 1944??

I'm writting an article about the German battle-group "ZIEB".
In a German source I have read that the newly formed Russian Danube Flottila made some landings in the back of the German troops at the rivers of DNJESTR-LIMAN.

24. August 1944:  
Zunächst hat die aus rund 600 Kleinfahrzeugen zusammengesetzte, neu aufgestellte »sowjetische Donauflottille« eine Landung im Rücken der deutschen Truppen am DNJESTR-LIMAN unternommen und landet am 24. August 1944 bei SCHEBRIANI in der Donaumündung.

BUT the Russian Danube Flottila did also a landing at the Danube Mouth/Delta at SCHEBRIANI on 24th August 1944.
SCHEBRIANI is the German name for JIBRIENI.

Meanwhile, I got some more infos: ( from Sid G. )
The Jibrieni landing was in the rear of the Romanian 3rd Army. I do not think that there were any major German formations cut off by it. The Russians reported stiff Romanian attacks to break out along the coast on 24 August, the day after Romania surrendered, presumably because not all Romanian units yet knew of the ceasefire.  

There is a map in \"Third Axis, Fourth Ally\" that will probably clarify the situation for you.

Can anyone scan this map to me: 06503110710@telering.at

The major Romanian force was the Romanian 110. Infantry Brigade.

Any additional infos about this Brigade in August 1944??

MfG Michi
PM
Paulus
Posted: September 06, 2003 08:12 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 89

I don't have any informations on this battle, but I have enough of them to make a description I would be interested in having them to eventually make a "CMBB" scenario on it.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Petre
Posted: October 04, 2009 05:19 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

Only from russian texts :
Lossing Belgorod-Dnestrovskiy(Akkerman)(Cetatea Alba), the enemy has started to depart hasty to south-west.
To surround the seaside grouping of enemy forces (5 divissions–the main forces the Зrd Rom.Army), it was necessary to straddle its routes of retreat.
The Sov.Danube Flotilla has received the mission to land a force in Jebrian (Zhebriyan) area, to block the ways of a withdrawal of the enemy. A group of 285 fighters from The 384th Marine battalion of Nikolaev was formed. Commandoes were embarked aboard 10 armored gunboats, 3 small sub.hunters and 5 fast boats of The "Kerch" Armored gunboats Brigade. In the evening of Aug.23, the ships sailed from Odessa, on Aug.24, 04.50 they arrived on Jebrian area, a strong position of the enemy, north of the mouth of Danube. This was a surprise for the enemy, which were trying to avoid encirclement. After a brief engagement the village was seized. At daybreak, the German troops, part of The 3rd Rom.Army, have tried to break to the west also to the Kunduk Lake. There was a heavy fight. The combined German-Romanian force laid down arms on the following day. Close to 5,000 POW.
Clearing of Jebrian opened a way to Danube Delta for capture of the crossings over Danube river.
At the same time, The Sov.Danube Flotilla was also assigned with the mission to force its way into the Danube Delta and to land troops behind the enemy lines. This mission was for a group of The 4th River Ships Brigade (11 armored gunboats, 6 mine boats, 6 river sweepers, 6 boats ZIS and 10 hydrofoils) under the cover of torpedo boats and planes. The detachment entered Chilia (the northern mouth of the Danube) at daybreak on Aug.24. The enemy offering no resistance, it started moving upstream. In the morning it reached Vilkovo and opened fire at enemy troops crowded at a crossing on one of the banks. The marines were landed in the port. After a short engagement, the enemy, fearing encirclement, retreated. The marines that had been landed at Jebrian also entered Vilkovo. 300 KIA, 2,000 POW.
On Aug.25 the ports Chilia Noua and Chilia Veche were also seized. One monitor, one steam tugboat and two barges were sunk, two marine battalions splited.
Finaly, 15,000 Germans and Romanians have surrendered in a captivity.

Note : today Jibrieni = Primorskie, and there also exists a small village Desantne (Galilesti).

This post has been edited by Petre on October 18, 2009 10:37 am
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0308 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]