Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Alexandru Dudu Frim, All about him
C-2
Posted: November 22, 2005 08:13 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

SS 100 built in 314 exemp.
116-the 2.7 liter
198-3.5 liter
Mihai's car was the SECOND 3.5 liter that was built.
I'm always typing inahurry... smile.gif
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: November 23, 2005 09:52 am
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Some new data courtesy of Mrs Hladiuk who her sister and brother in law were good friends with Frim.
During the war Frim with a special train,was at the front for testing and meintaines.
After the comunists came to power ,Frim was arested and spent some time in jail.
And some more details about the Jaguar;
Mihai used to fly without the royal court autorization.
So Frim would let him to fly clandestine at IAR Brasov.
When Frim asked to buy the car,he got a visit from an oficer with an "buying/selling" document.The price was ridocole.
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: December 30, 2005 05:03 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Dénes @ Nov 10 2005, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (C-2 @ Nov 11 2005, 02:32 AM)
She told me how the mechanics from IAR have repaired a B 24 who was force landed on a field.Frim took off from the field and took the plane to the IAR factory "as he was doing this all his life.."

Actually, it was a German test pilot, Hptm. Hans-Werner Lerche, who lifted the repaired B-24D off the cornfield and flew it to the closest airfield with a suitable runway, which was Zilistea. It was only then when Frim took over the controls and flew the bomber to Brasov.

Gen. Dénes

Well,it seemed thatafter all there were TWO B 24 ,who were repaired.
One of them was flown by a GErman pilot and taken later to Germany.
The second was indeed flown by Frim and mechanic Oprea.
PMUsers Website
Doc
Posted: May 09, 2007 06:01 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 1384

Does anyone know anymore about these 2 B-24's that were downed and flown by Romania? I am researching the crew of one of them and would like to know more about these two aircraft.Thanks
Doc
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: May 10, 2007 09:01 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

I heard that the one that was in romanian hands was given back .
PMUsers Website
Doc
Posted: May 10, 2007 09:26 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hi C-2 and thank you. The Romanian AF told me that one was destroyed at Brasov in Sept 1944 by a German fighters patrol Messerschmitt 109, on the flying field at IAR Brasov.
Any other info is appreciated. I am trying to link US serial numbers to these two aircraft.
Best,
Doc
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: May 11, 2007 05:22 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

The former identity of both ARR-marked B-24s is known. There is a third one too, but no photo of it in ARR markings has been found yet.

One of them was ex-Boiler Maker II, 41-23782, Red E, flown by the 415th B.S., 98th B.G., which crashed during 'Operation Tidal Wave'.

You can find a photo of this bomber in its original USAAF then ARR marking on page 56 of my book, 'Rumanian Air Force. The Prime Decade', published by Squadron/Signal in 1999.

This particular aircraft was indeed destroyed on the landing ground of the IAR Brasov factory by marauding Luftwaffe Bf 109Gs on 26 Aug. 1944.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on May 11, 2007 05:24 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Doc
Posted: May 11, 2007 08:38 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Hello Denes,

I appreciate your input. I am researching Honkey Tonk Gal and its crew, in particuliar Lt. William K. Little whose grave/memorial I found in Sinaia last year. From what I can tell Honkey Tonk Gal was one of the others that was repaired. I will have a look at your book. If you can think of anything else please let me know. Was the 3rd aircraft you refer to part of Tidal Wave?

Best,
Doc
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: May 13, 2007 05:18 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Member No.: 144

I am researching Honkey Tonk Gal and its crew, in particuliar Lt. William K. Little whose grave/memorial I found in Sinaia last year. From what I can tell Honkey Tonk Gal was one of the others that was repaired.

Soon will be release a book with TW subject " Ploesti - Low Level Strike.
" Honky Tonk Gal " will be on (at least 6 pages) with pictures and color profile ( including romanian markings)
Below is the front cover.

user posted image
PM
Dénes
Posted: May 13, 2007 07:44 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

This is a very good and encouraging news, C-no. Three friends came together and made a book. It deserves high praise.

Keep us informed about the book's availability.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Doc
Posted: May 13, 2007 01:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thank you for the info. Who will be the publisher. I am going to Sinaia and will check the bookshop there. I will also visit the gravesite again.
Best,
Doc
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: May 18, 2007 06:05 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Thank you for the info. Who will be the publisher. I am going to Sinaia and will check the bookshop there. I will also visit the gravesite again.
Best,
Doc

Check your PM.
PM
C-2
Posted: May 20, 2007 01:53 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

I HAVE IT
I HAVE IT.
I already red it.
Great book.
Very easy to read even for a "non hobist".
It was a suprise for me,since I didn't know Dan Melinte can write.
I guess he only made the profiles.
I hope I'll get a few more copies for the friends.
PMUsers Website
teastridge
Posted: August 14, 2007 12:09 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1533

The Boilermaker II was my grandfathers aircraft. He was the bombadier. His name was Maynard G. Hubbard. I have a picture of the crew along with his letters from the POW camp Sub-Lagarule Timis, Timisul de Jos, Roumania 45-21; Or Largarule Prizoiniero #2, 13,14, 18 Timisul de Jos, Roumania 45-21. I have Gen Denes book the Rumanian airforce and have seen the picture of my grandfathers aircraft after the crash. I was hoping for more information about the crash site and if anymore pictures are available.

I never knew my grandfather because he was killed in korea in 1953 trying to save a fellow soldier. He went to pilot school after the war and went to fly for 3rd search and rescue that went after downed fliers in korea.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: August 15, 2007 12:36 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

The Boilermaker II was my grandfathers aircraft. He was the bombadier. His name was Maynard G. Hubbard. I have a picture of the crew along with his letters from the POW camp Sub-Lagarule Timis, Timisul de Jos, Roumania 45-21; Or Largarule Prizoiniero #2, 13,14, 18 Timisul de Jos, Roumania 45-21. I have Gen Denes book the Rumanian airforce and have seen the picture of my grandfathers aircraft after the crash. I was hoping for more information about the crash site and if anymore pictures are available.

I never knew my grandfather because he was killed in korea in 1953 trying to save a fellow soldier. He went to pilot school after the war and went to fly for 3rd search and rescue that went after downed fliers in korea.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your father's plane Boiler Maker - pictures (around 50 pcs.) and the color profile of the plane you can find in the book Ploesti Low Level Strike ( see the link) http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=4016

I can sent you a copy. If you are interested sent me a PM.
Below some samples pages from the book.
user posted image

user posted image
Shot at 2007-08-14

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on August 15, 2007 12:41 am
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0361 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]