Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian Budesti in mid 1941
Thomas
Posted: July 28, 2005 07:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

I'm trying to put some bits and pieces together and wonder if anyone might help me with this matter. I'm trying to locate a unit stationed in Budesti awaiting operation Barbarossa but it seems there are no less than 4 places called Budesti in Romania. Does anyone know which Budesti held Wehrmacht soldiers at this time?
There's a Budesti in Calarasl, Bistrita-Nasaud, Maramures and Vâlcea. I can't say much about the place itself exept than that it was a rural place relying on cattle-economy but that probably isn't very helpful considering that was the most common situation in Romania at the time.

Thanks in advance for any help!
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 28, 2005 09:34 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Maramures County is out of question, because it was part of Northern Transylvania, being under Hungarian administration at that time. Bistrita-Nasaud County is also in Transylvania, which, I think, excludes it.
Calarasi County is far away from the Soviet border, so it leaves the fourth one, in Vâlcea County, as the most probable location for Budesti.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on July 28, 2005 09:34 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Victor
Posted: July 29, 2005 05:06 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The Budesti in Calarasi was closer to the border with the Soviet Union than the one in Valcea was. It was also close to the Danube, which was an important transport line for the Wehrmacht. It's just a guess though.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: July 29, 2005 07:30 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

Yesterday i meet the chief of ww2 veterans of Calarasi county - ex. Lt. Col. Cristea from Divizia 1 Garda. Tell me the name of the unit, maybe i will find something.
And i work with veterinary medic from Budesti, but i don't know how helpful can be...

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos03
Posted: July 29, 2005 11:44 am
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

I also think that the one in Calarasi makes more sense than the Valcea one. But Budesti is a common name. I think there might be one in Moldova too.

This post has been edited by dragos03 on July 29, 2005 11:44 am
PM
Thomas
Posted: July 29, 2005 06:08 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 5

Thanks for all your kind help! Unfortunatly, I don't know the exact WH-unit stationed there. If it's any help at all I know that the officers were invited to the home of the mayor several times. There also was Gendarmerie there and an interpreter named "Dida", is this a female name?

Also, is there a place close to Budesti called "Wolgap" or something alike? That name keeps returning but I can't find it anywhere.
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: July 29, 2005 08:29 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Also, is there a place close to Budesti called "Wolgap" or something alike? That name keeps returning but I can't find it anywhere.

Mayby "Wolga" german radar station code name in Romania.
PM
Florin
Posted: August 03, 2005 03:03 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

Boboc airbase was even closer to the Prut river, the "recent" border with U.S.S.R. It was in Ramnicu-Sarat administrative division, today in Buzau administrative division. The Germans had aviation there (Me-109's, who took off and shot down some Russian twin engines in the summer of 1941.) In one of those days, 2 of Me-109's sent to the ground a group of 8 Russian bombers in several minutes.

The Boboc airbase was continuously used by the Romanians for at least the previous 20...25 years before the Germans took it over in 1940...1941.
The family photo shown by me in "The beginnings of the Romanian Air Force" was taken at Boboc airbase.

PS: I know it is not about Budesti, but I hope it is not off topic.
PM
Florin
Posted: August 04, 2005 02:50 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

Budesti in Calarasi administrative division had all what it needed to qualify as suitable for an airbase:

1. At just 30...35 km from Bucharest, and moreover, on the side toward Soviet Union.
2. In a plane area, without trees by nature (Baragan, also known as The Romanian Plain).
3. Very close to a strategic railroad (Bucuresti - Constanta, via Cernavoda Bridge).

This being mentioned, I don't know if there was a German base there.

This post has been edited by Florin on August 04, 2005 02:50 am
PM
Carol I
Posted: August 14, 2005 09:47 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Victor @ Jul 29 2005, 06:06 AM)
The Budesti in Calarasi was closer to the border with the Soviet Union than the one in Valcea was. It was also close to the Danube, which was an important transport line for the Wehrmacht. It's just a guess though.

An even closer one would be Budesti in Vrancea county.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.6570 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]