Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian Army moblie brigade, experiment
Iamandi
Posted: July 08, 2005 06:47 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

Before the start of the war, romanian military leaders have made some efforts to change units and large units in more mobile ones. Target was cavalry, a speciality mobile in concept. At one momment... 1937 i think, was an application (war game? i don't know the proper word) where an "ad hoc" mobile brigade was used togheter with other standard units.
Results were bad, and ideea was abandoned for a while.
Latter, Cavalrty Divisions were reorganised in Cavalry Brigades, and the firts stages of ww2 were with this organisation standard. Much like french style of ideeas. At a momment, they were again divisions... Large units, german and russian style.

Anyone know much more about that "ad hoc" brigade, about what units and leaders have... Something about conclusions, place of action, maybe some official documents or memmories?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Jeff_S
Posted: July 08, 2005 01:54 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Members
Member No.: 309

QUOTE (Iamandi @ Jul 8 2005, 06:47 AM)
At one momment... 1937 i think, was an application (war game? i don't know the proper word) where an "ad hoc" mobile brigade was used togheter with other standard units.

For the idea I think you are trying to express, "exercise" is the appropriate word.

Military units go to a training area large enough to allow them to move, and practice their military mission under realistic conditions. Sometimes this includes firing live ammunition (under close control), and sometimes not. It has three purposes: 1) soldiers and leaders practice doing their jobs, 2) commanders get to see the actual readiness of their units, and 3) new operational concepts, tactics and equipment are tested and hopefully improved.

I remember some newspapers my father saved from early 1942, just after US entry in WW2. One was a survey of the Army. One of the pages had the headline "Cavalry Has A Place In Modern War!". A series of pictures showed a cavalry detachment using trucks to carry its horses and soldiers to the edge of a wooded area, unloading the horses, the soldiers mounted and rode off through the woods. They did not discuss how the trucks got to the other side of the woods, or if this was a "1 time only" operation.
PMYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0273 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]