Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Independence War 1877-1878, Military campaign
Carol I
Posted: July 22, 2006 05:56 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

PM
Sturmpionier
Posted: July 22, 2006 06:49 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 630

Well, one of my basic interests is the uniformology, but I am not a "expert" about the turkish uniforms in the 1877-878 war. I made the addition acording this, what I have red and seen as colour plates. Kepi, your information, that the most of the turkish infantry uniforms are zuave style is very interesting and realy new for me.
Yes, the drawing of the Bulgarian volunteer in Osprey M277, and some elements of the russian uniforms there, are very incorrect. It is the same situation with the dorobanz soldier, shown there. Could you post here your notes about the Romanian vanator and line infantryman from this book ? My information about this uniforms is only from this source. Thanks in advance.

Indeed, some troops such as the line infantry, artillery, engineers, train, etc. units had only kepis

As I understand there was a failing of uniforms for the line infantry too ?? ohmy.gif
Actualy, how big was this failing for the all Romanian army in the eve of the war ?

Major George Şonţu

Thank you for the photo smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sturmpionier on July 23, 2006 10:02 am
PMEmail Poster
saudadesdefrancesinhas
Posted: August 04, 2006 10:21 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 883

I bought the Osprey title on the Russo-Turkish War many years ago, because it was one of the few titles I could find that contained information on Romanian and Turkish uniforms. However, I started to think that it was not very accurate, and I think a possible reason for this is that the author probably did not use any Romanian, Turkish, Bulgarian or Russian sources when he was writing the book.
Nearly all of the pictures come from different books published in England at the time of the war, or thereabouts, for example; Cassel's History of the Russo-Turkish War etc.
Much of the uniform and other information comes, I suspect, from 'Intelligence' manuals and other publications of the War Office in London, and possibly contemporary articles in military journals, but mostly UK ones. This means that there is scope for inaccuracies to creep in.

Nowadays, with more access to other sources, I think a much better Osprey could be written.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: August 04, 2006 02:01 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (saudadesdefrancesinhas @ August 04, 2006 04:21 pm)
Nowadays, with more access to other sources, I think a much better Osprey could be written.

The problem with Osprey (and probably other publishers, which have some interest in publishing such 'exotic' topics) is that once they covered a particular subject, they would not touch it again for at least ten years.

I also published with them a book on Rumanian aviation, and when I approached them again with another (not similar) topic, they told me to get in touch with them in about ten years. dry.gif

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on August 04, 2006 02:02 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
saudadesdefrancesinhas
Posted: August 06, 2006 10:02 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 883

Hi Denes,
What is the title of your book?
PMEmail Poster
Sturmpionier
Posted: August 12, 2006 04:47 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

QUOTE (Carol I @ July 17, 2006 08:29 pm)
Do you have photos as well? 

Finally I found some. One guy from the Bulgarian military history forum ( http://forum.boinaslava.net/showthread.php...8137#post158137 ) has the idea to take photos of all monuments round Pleven. With his permission I post here the photos of Romanian monuments and items.

user posted image
Romanian monument in Grivita

user posted image
Part of this monument. Translation please rolleyes.gif

user posted image
Romanian uniforms from the Grivita museum. Is the right uniform, uniform of a dorobanz officer ?

user posted image
Romanian battle flags from the same museum. Are they battalion or regimental flags ?

This post has been edited by Sturmpionier on August 12, 2006 05:40 pm
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: August 12, 2006 08:02 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Sturmpionier @ August 12, 2006 10:47 pm)
Translation please rolleyes.gif

"He/she who fights heroically, his/her name will remain eternal" (written in old-style Rumanian language).

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on August 12, 2006 08:03 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Sturmpionier
Posted: August 12, 2006 08:42 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Thanks smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: August 13, 2006 09:40 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Thanks for the photos.

QUOTE (Sturmpionier @ August 12, 2006 05:47 pm)
user posted image
Romanian monument in Grivita

The other side of the monument in Griviţa:
user posted image
From the site of the Military Historical Museums in Plevna
PM
Sturmpionier
Posted: August 13, 2006 04:48 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

I hope I will have more photos in future.
I have one one question more: How was the OoB of the two calarasi Brigades of Armata de operatii in August 1877 ? There were seven calarasi reguments, but how were they alignmented in the two Brigades ?

This post has been edited by Sturmpionier on August 13, 2006 04:48 pm
PMEmail Poster
Sturmpionier
Posted: August 16, 2006 06:46 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Nobody knows ? sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
dragos03
Posted: August 29, 2006 09:30 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

There were actually a total of 10 cavalry regiments. During the war, some of these were temporarely grouped in several formations:
- The Cavalry Division, consisting of the Rosiori Brigade (1 and 2 Rosiori regiments), the "C. Formac Cavalry Brigade" (5 and 6 Calarasi regiments) and the 1st Horse Artillery Battery, this unit was later part of the Russian-Romanian Cavalry Corps
- the Rosiori Brigade was a part of the "General Meyendorf cavalry detachment", which also had some Russian cavalry units

After the war, during the tensions with Russia, the cavalry units were grouped in:
- 1st Cavalry Division (3,4,7,8 Calarasi Regiments)
- 2nd Cavalry Division (1,2,5,6 Calarasi Regiments)
- Rosiori Brigade (1 and 2 Rosiori Regiments)

PM
Carol I
Posted: October 19, 2006 10:06 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Carol I @ June 04, 2005 04:34 pm)
And in the same complex there is also a Memorial House of Prince Carol I which houses a collection of Romanian uniforms from the war.
user posted image

Old Bulgarian postcard with the Carol I Museum near Plevna (from eBay)
user posted image
PM
Sturmpionier
Posted: January 26, 2007 11:39 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

QUOTE (Carol I @ July 17, 2006 01:17 am)
According to Magazin istoric, a note of September 1936 of the Romanian Minister in Bulgaria, Vasile Stoica, mentioned that the Romanian monument and cemetery in Rahova (Oryahovo) had been destroyed 20 years earlier (the minister observed that the cemetery had even been ploughed in order to remove any trace of it). Have they ever been reconstructed afterwards?

Some news: The Romanian monument, was restorated and now it's locate in the centre of the town of Oryahovo. Unfortunately I fon't have any information about the cemetry.
PMEmail Poster
Mike Blake
Posted: August 28, 2008 09:29 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1577

Fascinating stuff, many thanks for the information. I'm planning a 54mm wargame on the war, and am about to embark on converting and painting the figures, so uniform info is great. I have the Osprey, and a couple of UK hobby magazine articles, but that's all, so more accurate information is really helpful. The results will end up appearing in an article in Toy Soldier & Model Figure, a UK toy soldier magazine. I will cite this DG and acknowledge the contributors, of course.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the Armata Romana book, please? I have the earlier one for 1859-1866, but did not know of the 2nd volume as it is not listed on the 1st.

Also how to subscribe to a topic, please? All DGs seem to have different ways of doing it! Thanks.

Mike
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0313 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]