Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 18 Aug. 1944.The day Serbanescu died...
C-2
Posted: August 17, 2003 07:26 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Tomorow,at the military cemetry of Bucharest ,veterans pilots will meet at Serbanescu's tumb stone,like every year,to give him the honors he deservs.
I'll be there and let you know how it went.
PMUsers Website
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: August 18, 2003 06:12 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

Very interesting but I didn`t met you. Or maybe we talked .
Nevertheless it was a great day, but I was sad sawing that only Mr Dobran was there. There were two other bomber pilots and I was very honored to met Mr Popescu Alexandru Viorel who came from Sinaia to `see` a friend. He was a pilot on JRS 79B bomber and he also flew the He111 H bomber.

I was very surprised to see that, apart Mr Leo R., no one from this forum could come. I only hope that those who had the possibility to come today at the thomb of a Great Hero will come the following years. Do not forget Al Serbanescu or the other Heros!!!!!!!!

Bernard (Andi) Miclescu
PMMSN
C-2
Posted: August 18, 2003 07:20 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Sure I've been!
I came with Gen Dobran ,who was Serbanescu's last wingman and C-dor Eusebiu Hladiuc(savoia).I was glad also to meet A.Viorel.
I was disaponted that Serbanescu's brother could't came cause of age...
I was also very disaponted that in those sacred moments a certain person(about 40 years)was talking (it's much to say cause he didn't speek even Romanian correct...)about a very decorated pilot like about a thief(who stoll the decorations and awards he got (risking his life and been severly wonded).
It happens that I know that pilot and belive me ,if we weren't in the cemetery I would kick this guys as!.
I was told by Dobran that the thumb stone of Serbanescu was changed a few years ago because it was written on it something not so pro Americans(I can understand that).
Dobran also found that a few other pilots graves are missing(liKe C.Lungulescu).Seems like those people don't deserve even a grave after their sacrifice!
Anyway it was an interesting experince!
PMUsers Website
Florin
Posted: September 29, 2003 03:34 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

Hi,

Once I had the chance to read the original "Curentul" printed on August 19. Or it was the one printed on August 20. The owner of the newspaper was Pamfil Seicaru.
It was mentioned there the death of the pilot Serbanescu. The article was little, but I think it was on the first page.
The head of the newspaper (biggest title, biggest article on the first page) was a speech of the Bulgarian prime minister about the fact that as an Axis satellite Bulgaria had difficult days, and that they will try to find a solution for this problem.
As Romania at August 20 had even worse days as an Axis satellite, I think the article was an allusion. As the Romanians say: "Bate saua ca sa priceapa iapa."
For the English speaker: "Lash the saddle, hoping the mare will understand."
It is said Pamfil Seicaru was a friend of Antonescu, so I wouldn't be surprised that he was aware about Antonescu's negociations.
I am sorry... The topic was the death and the commemoration of pilot Serbanescu, but maybe also the other thing may interest somebody.

Florin
PM
C-2
Posted: July 15, 2004 09:19 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

In one month there will be 60 years since the fall of serbanescu.
I'd like to ask as many members of this forum to came to the military cemetry in Ghencea,to the anual comemoration.
If it's posible also we can coordonate and those who live near an ARR veteran,they can take him with them,and bring him back later.
I alredy have 3 vets in my car(that's all my car can take) and Cantacuzino is bringing another one.
If someone lives in Titan,Colentina,Tineretului and other places ,he can talk with me and I'll"give "him a veteran pilot.
(last year only 3 pilots came).
PMUsers Website
Florin
Posted: July 16, 2004 02:46 am
Quote Post

...So he was shot down in July, not in August?

Who was the Romanian ace shot down by the Americans just few days before August 23rd, 1944?

PS: Hopefully you'll find people as kind as you regarding the transport of those former pilots, who once were a shield between the Romanian innocent civilians and the American bombers.
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 16, 2004 02:57 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Yes, it was Cpt. Alex. Serbanescu, who was shot down and killed by Mustangs on August 18, 1944.
Dr. C-2 was correct: "In one month there will be 60 years since the fall of serbanescu."
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Florin
Posted: July 17, 2004 03:32 am
Quote Post

Dr. C-2 was correct: \"In one month there will be 60 years since the fall of serbanescu.\"

In that moment, my mind was floating in June. I forgot that we are in July.
Maybe because I turned the calendar from May directly to July. :?

And yes, I missed the meaning of the title which started the topic... Sorry.
PM
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: July 19, 2004 05:04 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

I'll be there. Another aviation history lover, who wrote an article in Aeromagazin about the famous Rudel will come with Mr Tudor Vasile (sure at 95%). And next time C-2, don't stay apart from the group. Come closer!!! laugh.gif

Yours,
Bm
PMMSN
C-2
Posted: July 19, 2004 07:29 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

I don't like cemetries sad.gif sad.gif
I'm making an emitional efort doing there :cry:
PMUsers Website
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: July 20, 2004 12:53 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

See you there!!!

bm
PMMSN
Der Maresal
Posted: July 24, 2004 09:08 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

user posted image

I've found great images of Serbanescu and his unit, and would like to share them.
The full article is long, and would be difficult to translate - but sounds interesting. http://www.virtualarad.net/orizont_aviatic...1/articol_1.htm
- Romanian version -

user posted image
At Nikolaiev, from left to Right...Greceanu, Simionescu, Dusescu, Senchea & Serbanescu

user posted image
August 1941, Ghimbav training school. Serbanescu, back then, a Lieutenant at the controlls of a Pzl.11B

user posted image
The picture reads: "Romanian Messerschmitts on the endless Russian plain, always surrounded on all sides by Yaks and Aircobras.

user posted image
At Tecuci, July 1944. fromt left to right; Danaita, Bendas, Milu, a mountain troop, Serbanescu, Radulescu, Senchea, Florescu, Dobran, Dusescu, and in the background a "G" which the mechanics work on.

user posted image
1943, Mizil Aerodrome. from left to right; Adj-Aviator Economu Alexandru, Adj-Aviator Popescu Constantin, 2nd-Lt Aviator Carciuvoianu V., and Adj-Aviator Encioiu Dumitru Mitrica in front of Mitrica's Gustav.

user posted image
At Nikolaev, 1944 right after the 10'o clock breakfast. from left to right; Vinca, Greceanu, Mucenica, Stengel, Serbanescu, Lungulescu, Leutnant Ludwig Neubock, unknown, Dusescu, Simionescu, Senchea, Encioiu, Turcanu. It reads the "last two are struggling with a stomach that is not quite ready yet."
laugh.gif

[i might be wrong, but the crosses on top of the picture indicate that men died in combat, during WW2. This makes sense, both Vinca and Serbanescu have crosses, and they both fell during the war.]

?????? what is this ?
user posted image
:shock: !

they must have had good 'entertainment' in those days.. smile.gif
PMMSN
Victor
Posted: July 24, 2004 09:24 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Photos no. 3 and 4, teh ones with the supposed "Russian endless plains" are of planes and pilots of the 53rd Fighter Squadron, which was never based on an airfield outside Romania.

You are correct on your assumption. Also Lungulescu and Turcanu were KIA. The symbols for the rest might represent wound bars.
Der Maresal
Posted: July 24, 2004 09:44 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Photos no. 3 and 4, teh ones with the supposed \"Russian endless plains\" are of planes and pilots of the 53rd Fighter Squadron, which was never based on an airfield outside Romania.

That's what the picture says, but you'r right. The plane is a Me-109G-2 and belongs to the 7th Fighter group, 53rd Squadron Summer 1943 at Mizil.
.........user posted image

but, i also found a similar looking plane (without the tricolor) and belonging to the same 53rd Squadron at Mizil in the Summer of 1943 was that of Stefan "Bebe" Greceanu, an ace with 11 kills who was attached to the joint German-Romanian unit I/JG 4. Is this true?
Both units were combined?
user posted image
PMMSN
Dénes
Posted: July 25, 2004 03:18 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

At Nikolaiev, from left to Right...Greceanu, Simionescu, Dusescu, Senchea & Serbanescu

On the original photo, Luftwaffe Lt. Neuböck is linking arms with Serbanescu (here it's cut off).

At Nikolaev, 1944 right after the 10'o clock breakfast. from left to right; Vinca, Greceanu, Mucenica, Stengel, Serbanescu, Lungulescu, Leutnant Ludwig Neubock, unknown, Dusescu, Simionescu, Senchea, Encioiu, Turcanu.

The airman identified as "Stengel" is not Luftwaffe liaison pilot Ernst Stengl, who was much thinner. The "unidentified airman" is another Luftwaffe soldier.
I have another version of the same propaganda photo, with another pilot on the left, while the one at right is cut out...

Dénes
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1966 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]