Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (16) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dresden Bombing. Holocaust?
Alexandru H.
Posted: April 16, 2005 11:23 am
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 57

German ruling says Dresden was a holocaust
By Hannah Cleaver in Berlin
(Filed: 12/04/2005)

German prosecutors have provoked outrage by ruling that the 1945 RAF bombing of Dresden can legally be termed a "holocaust".

The decision follows the refusal by the Hamburg public prosecutor's office to press charges against a Right-wing politician who compared the bombing raids to "the extermination of the Jews".

German law forbids the denial or playing down of the Holocaust as an incitement to hatred.

So delicate is the subject of the slaughter of Jews under Hitler that any use of the word "holocaust", or comparison with it, faces intense scrutiny and sometimes legal action.

But prosecutors have declined to pursue further the case of Udo Voigt, the chairman of the far-Right NPD, who likened the RAF's raids to the Nazis' "final solution".

Rudigger Bagger, a spokesman for the Hamburg public prosecutor, said the decision took into account only the criminal, not the moral, aspects of the case.

But he cited as a legal precedent a ruling by the federal constitutional court that favoured free speech in political exchanges, if defamation was not the prime aim of the argument.

Holger Apfel, the NPD's leader in the Saxon regional parliament, caused a scandal in January when he shouted down a commemoration of the Dresden bombing, prompting many others to walk out in disgust.

His outburst was covered by parliamentary privilege but Mr Voigt applauded and repeated the statements elsewhere.

Paul Spiegel, the president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, criticised the decision by prosecutors not to take action. He said the statements were incitement and allowing them to stand opened the door to further such comments.

"Morally, I have no understanding of this," he said. "One can ban such remarks if you use the law consistently. It is questionable whether statements that are clearly incitement come under freedom of expression."

Although the NPD is despised by other parties, German politicians reluctantly accepted the ruling.

Dieter Wiefelspüetz, the interior spokesman for the Social Democrat Party described the phrase "holocaust" in the context of Dresden as an "exploitation of the victims". But he supported the decision not to prosecute.

Attitudes towards the Allied bombing campaign, which killed hundreds of thousands of civilians, are changing. Estimates of the death toll in Dresden in February 1945 hover at about 35,000. All the same, some historians claim that as many as 500,000 people were killed in the raids.

Strictly speaking, the word "holocaust," which comes from the ancient Greek for "burnt", might seem apt for Dresden, much of it immolated by the fires started by the RAF's incendiary bombs.

But its primary meaning is now so closely linked to the Nazis' treatment of the Jews that such etymology appears to be in bad taste.
PMUsers Website
Alexandru H.
Posted: April 16, 2005 11:26 am
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Of course, this has no real meaning. But such decisions would help transform horrendous acts of war (like bombing the hell out of your enemy or playing with nukes) into unlawfully decisions.
PMUsers Website
dragos
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

C-2, your offensive remark has no reasoning. What's the matter with you?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:11 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

What about the Blitz on London? those weren't humans over there?Coventry? Rotredam? and even Bucarest!
What about Warsovia?Who started the bombing of cities if not the Germans?
To be more precise ,they started already from WW1 via Spain.
PMUsers Website
Indrid
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:14 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Member No.: 142

personally i admit the entire dresden bombing, from the civilian point of view, was a massacre. however, from the military point of view it was a economical decision: the more i scare the ennemy, the more i kill its morale. and a soldier with a low morale is much easier to destroy. i belive this was the reasoning over the bombing.

turning back to ethimology, the jewish community has embraced this specific term to characterize the killing of a very large number of them in concentration camps. the word HOLOCAUST is used as defining the genocide over JEWISH population, not other populations. becasue if this was a generic term for genocide, we would have the armenian holocaust, the cambodian holocaust, the ukrainean and chinese even....

i shall express no opinions over this on this forum, because even if i say a positive thing somebody will undoutebly start yelling, so my point stops at this.

oh, and C2, don't change the subject. you were out of line.

This post has been edited by Indrid on April 16, 2005 01:15 pm
PMICQ
Alexandru H.
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:18 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Of course, this has no real meaning. But such decisions would help transform horrendous acts of war (like bombing the hell out of your enemy or playing with nukes) into unlawfully decisions.

I did not refer to Germany, but of a specific way to wage war. From that point of view, german actions in Rotterdam and London are of the same type. I do not defend specific german actions, I just say that we could include in "crimes against humanity" section some "bombing runs" that proved to be devastating for human lives (Tokyo is the best example)

What is with all this "starting"? Ok, germans started bombing, they should have been held responsible for that. But explaining allied actions just from the point of view of anti-nazi struggle gives pardon to all allied commanders or politicians...

This post has been edited by Alexandru H. on April 16, 2005 01:21 pm
PMUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:29 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Indrid @ Apr 16 2005, 01:14 PM)

turning back to ethimology, the jewish community has embraced this specific term to characterize the killing of a very large number of them in concentration camps. the word HOLOCAUST is used as defining the genocide over JEWISH population, not other populations. becasue if this was a generic term for genocide, we would have the armenian holocaust, the cambodian holocaust, the ukrainean and chinese even....

The germans speak about calling Dresden bombing a Holocaust.

A holocaust as in "a very large amount of destruction, especially by fire or heat, or the killing of very large numbers of people".

Incidentally there were lots of fires in Dresden.

The Holocaust means "the killing of millions of Jews and others by the Nazis before and during the Second World War".

The common noun "holocaust" can be employed in various situations without that meaning revisionism etc. It has become widely used, without that nullifying the meaning or historical relevancy of The Holocaust...

This post has been edited by Imperialist on April 16, 2005 01:30 pm

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:36 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

Alex, I suggest you open up another topic that deals with all the German bombings.

C-2 is right, around 30,000 people died in bombed London.
C-2, the Germans did their own horrendous cirmes, but one cannot mention them over and over again and each time when talking about Allied bombings... unless otherwise denied, the german crimes are known and acknowledge, but due to time and topic, rementioning them each time is quite impossible.

This post has been edited by Imperialist on April 16, 2005 01:37 pm

--------------------
I
PM
Alexandru H.
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:36 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Once again, I did not say that the germans are innocent. In fact, I haven't pronounced any nationality name. Based on the article, I said that it would be nice if we could transform such tragedies (Warsaw, Rotterdam, London, Tokyo, Dresden and yes, even Bucharest) into Holocaust-type actions, like Imperialist rightly suggested. Making them sound like a common feature of the war tells us nothing about the moral stance involved...

[edited by admin]

This post has been edited by Victor on April 16, 2005 03:57 pm
PMUsers Website
Indrid
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:38 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Member No.: 142

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Apr 16 2005, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Indrid @ Apr 16 2005, 01:14 PM)

The germans speak about calling Dresden bombing a Holocaust.

A holocaust as in "a very large amount of destruction, especially by fire or heat, or the killing of very large numbers of people".

Incidentally there were lots of fires in Dresden.

The Holocaust means "the killing of millions of Jews and others by the Nazis before and during the Second World War".

The common noun "holocaust" can be employed in various situations without that meaning revisionism etc. It has become widely used, without that nullifying the meaning or historical relevancy of The Holocaust...

i totally agree with you...
i only meant to say that this is the Jewish version. they were accustomed to describing what happened to them during ww2, and the fact that other ethnic groups want to use the same description is viewed negatively. this is all
PMICQ
C-2
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:38 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I just had enought hearind about the "poor Germans that were bombed without mersi".
PMUsers Website
Alexandru H.
Posted: April 16, 2005 01:43 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

I care about the "poor innocent people that were bombed to death by the professional armies of Germany, US, Great Britain, Soviet Union, Japan".

[edited by admin]

This post has been edited by Victor on April 16, 2005 03:58 pm
PMUsers Website
dragos03
Posted: April 16, 2005 02:52 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

The Dresden bombing was obviously a terrible warcrime. Don't compare it with Rotterdam, London or Bucharest. Rotterdam was a mistake while London and Bucharest were not open cities.
Dresden was an open city bombed without any military reason at a time when Germany's surrender was only a matter of days. There are only 2 possible explanations for it: Churchill wanted a "final revenge" against the Germans or he wanted to impress the advancing Soviets with the power of the Allied airforce.
Unlike other war criminals, Churchill and Harris became national heroes and lived happily after this crime.
More people died in Dresden than in Hiroshima, all of them civilians.
I read a great book about Dresden: Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5" ("Abatorul 5" in romana, Ed. Polirom). Vonnegut was an US POW who witnessed the bombing and helped the survivors. It is a very good book who captures the madness behind this bombing without specifficaly describing the moment.
PM
Iamandi
Posted: April 16, 2005 02:55 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

I think was a "Bomber" Harris last song.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: April 16, 2005 03:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

C-2, that kind of reaction was uncalled for. I suggest you, Alexandru H. and Indrid settle your problems by less violent means.

I have cleaned up the topic.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (16) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0341 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]