Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Georgia vs. Russia
Imperialist
Posted: August 08, 2008 11:00 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

Russia is pulling a 'kosovo war' on Georgia. Bombing campaign, support for secessionist region. The US does nothing for now despite promising support for Georgian territorial integrity.

No opinions about this here?

--------------------
I
PM
cainele_franctiror
Posted: August 08, 2008 11:52 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 334

It is ironically that an Imperialist got a problem with this war.
PM
Imperialist
Posted: August 08, 2008 11:59 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (cainele_franctiror @ August 08, 2008 11:52 pm)
It is ironically that an Imperialist got a problem with this war.

Isn't it? Any relevant opinion on topic or did you feel the need to hear your echo?

--------------------
I
PM
cainele_franctiror
Posted: August 09, 2008 12:01 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

I don't have opinoins, I'm just corporal
PM
guina
Posted: August 09, 2008 10:36 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 1393

For those who still had any doubts,there is the true face of Putin' regime.It seems,in Russia,the Brejnev's theory of "limited soveragnty"is ,again, going strong.In 1938 Hitler claims on Czehoslovakia were based on the need to protect Sudet germans.Souns familiar!
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: August 09, 2008 03:35 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (guina @ August 09, 2008 10:36 am)
For those who still had any doubts,there is the true face of Putin' regime.It seems,in Russia,the Brejnev's theory of "limited soveragnty"is ,again, going strong.In 1938 Hitler claims on Czehoslovakia were based on the need to protect Sudet germans.Souns familiar!

I agree. But it all started with Kosovo and especially after the US recognized Kosovo's independence. Now the Russians are playing by the same book. Like some people used to say back in February, 'a brave new world' has come out of the Pandora box. Imagine if China would start doing the same. Yes, it's like a trip back to the 1930s. sad.gif

--------------------
I
PM
guina
Posted: August 09, 2008 05:43 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Right so,Imp.
BTV,most of romanian media presented the majoritary population as russian.Althou,they have russian citizenship,given with largess by russian authorities with the exact purpose to undermine Georgian state,they are not russians but an iranian people that speak pharsi.The russian nationals returning from ex-aoviet republics have to wait for years to get russian citizenship.
PMEmail Poster
cainele_franctiror
Posted: August 10, 2008 02:59 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

China is doing the same with Tibet. Also, will do the same with Taywan, if will have the chance.
PM
guina
Posted: August 10, 2008 04:09 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

As Swedens foreign minister Carl Bladt remarked yesterday,Russia is on the way of establishing of a new and very dangerous priciple in international relations.The right of a state to atack another state in which formers citizens live.Admition by world comunity of such a thing will leave wide open to atack all former soviet republics,with Baltic states figuring top on the list
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: August 10, 2008 10:13 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

We helped in Iraq - now help us, beg Georgians

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle4500362.ece

Doubt it. The US is not ready for such a thing. Georgia will be raped despite NATO's pledge for its sovereignty, a pledge issued here in Bucharest this year. I wonder if this will seriously damage NATO's credibility.

This post has been edited by Imperialist on August 10, 2008 10:15 pm

--------------------
I
PM
bansaraba
Posted: August 11, 2008 09:34 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 2196

Anyone could figure: if NATO or USA get involved, it's WW3.
PMEmail Poster
Messerschmitt
Posted: August 11, 2008 10:33 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

QUOTE (bansaraba @ August 11, 2008 12:34 pm)
Anyone could figure: if NATO or USA get involved, it's WW3.

Isn`t Russia a member of NATO? How could NATO help Georgia?
My mistake if i don`t know well.
And, afaik, the middle east conflict is considered to be WW3.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Hadrian
Posted: August 11, 2008 12:39 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 875

If Georgia will be backed strongly by NATO or USA the Russia will back up. Russia can`t stand against NATO neither from military or economic point of view.

They are just trying to deny or delay Georgia`s NATO membership, and secure the existence of their "puppet states".
PMEmail Poster
guina
Posted: August 11, 2008 01:12 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Maybe yes,maybe not.According to the pool conducted last week by RTVI&Echo,85% of the russians suport the hard line of the present regime.And I'm sure nobady wants to start WW3.There are plenty of ways to put pressure on Russia,which imports 50% of it foods and 60% of the medical drugs and keeps most of its petro-$ in US banks.And they want to be a member of WTO and they want to keep their place in "the big 8",and,and,and.It remains to be seen how big the "cojones" of the west are.
But militry action,no.
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: August 11, 2008 02:02 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Unfortunately not much can be done short of economic sanctions, and this is not going to happen any time soon given the EU dependency on the Russian gas at the present. Sooner or later Georgia will be forced to accept the Moscow terms, after a reaffirmation of Russian policy of force in the area, and nobody can do a thing about it except big talk.

The long term solution is alternative resources for EU and NATO countries, so that Russia can be threatened with economic sanctions.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.9090 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]