Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bombing of Tokyo, Bombing of Tokyo
Imperialist
Posted: March 30, 2005 11:28 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Curioso @ Mar 30 2005, 10:40 AM)

Does this mean you are claiming the Holocaust, the strategic bombing campaigns and the nuclear bombs did not mark a development in human ethics? Interesting point of view - which I don't subscribe to. Yes, ethics and morals changed with WWII.

Excuse me, but saying that the holocaust, the city-busting and the nuclear bombs mark a development in human ethics, is shocking.
What on earth are you saying?

You probably want to say that the lack of ethics became more prominent during WWII for various justifications, not that the ethics changed. (?!?)

If ethics did not change, why do you think the nations felt like passing new international laws in 1949 and 1977? Wasn't it in order to reflect the new ethics?

Curioso, theres no such thing as "new ethics". Killing/mass killing unarmed people has always been unethical/immoral, (at least since WWI, when mass slaughter was actually experienced and comprehended) and finding justifications for such actions is rather immoral too.
Whether they were ideological excuses (holocaust) or military ones (we really gotta bomb that city, yes its '45 but we might still lose the war...) they were unethical, and no... its not hindsight (a term some people use excessively), people knew they were doing immoral things but chose to believe the excuses and save themselves the conscience issues.

take care

you still havent clarified your position.
are you saying the Dresden bombing is not part of the immorality of WWII? but the german actions are? how moral is to differentiate between immoral actions?

p.s. maybe you should ask yourself why more civilians died in WWII than soldiers.

This post has been edited by Imperialist on March 30, 2005 11:32 am

--------------------
I
PM
Curioso
Posted: March 30, 2005 01:08 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 262

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Mar 30 2005, 11:28 AM)

Excuse me, but saying that the holocaust, the city-busting and the nuclear bombs mark a development in human ethics, is shocking.
What on earth are you saying?

You probably want to say that the lack of ethics became more prominent during WWII for various justifications, not that the ethics changed. (?!?)

If ethics did not change, why do you think the nations felt like passing new international laws in 1949 and 1977? Wasn't it in order to reflect the new ethics?

Whether they were ideological excuses (holocaust) or military ones (we really gotta bomb that city, yes its '45 but we might still lose the war...)

Obviously, the development in ethics is not the Holocaust, but the reaction to it - as I said, it _marked_ a development - it wasn't the development itself.

The fact that we had to invent a new word, "genocide", to define it should show you it was perceived as something different.

The fact that we changed our laws should also, but I have already mentioned that and you failed to notice it.

If you think that you have summed up the Allied decision-makers attitude with the last sentence I quoted above, then there is not much point in discussing with you.

Placing the reasons for the Holocaust on the same level as the reasons for perfectly legitimate war-making is beyond comment.
PM
Imperialist
Posted: March 30, 2005 01:28 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Curioso @ Mar 30 2005, 01:08 PM)

Placing the reasons for the Holocaust on the same level as the reasons for perfectly legitimate war-making is beyond comment.

Jesus, indeed, you differentiate between immoralities!!!

Our immorality was better, because we understand our decision-makers' thought process, their immorality is bad, bad immorality!

Curioso, I certainly dont want to debate with you anymore, if you fail to see, that if the Germans were to win the war, they would have presented (if at all) perfect justification for all their crimes, yet that doesnt change the fact that there were immoral crimes! How can you fail to see that?

And you still havent answered several of my questions from my previous posts... I dont expect you to.
You already seem to trump the Holocaust card, probably you expect me to say something out of place and bring on PC stuff...

p.s. by the way, the word "genocide" is old. Very old.
Yet if you want more recent examples, maybe you should remember the Armenian genocide during WWI.
But ofcourse, following your logic, a genocide is worse than other genocide... great world view!!! dry.gif

This post has been edited by Imperialist on March 30, 2005 02:14 pm

--------------------
I
PM
valachus
Posted: April 03, 2005 05:58 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 125

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Mar 30 2005, 03:28 PM)
p.s. by the way, the word "genocide" is old. Very old.

How old is "very old"?
Well, nevermind that, and get a hold of this: the internet's abuzz with the notion that indeed the term "genocide" was coined in 1943 or 1944 by a Polish Jew, a lawyer by the name of Raphal Lemkin, in response to the unprecedented scale and scope of the jew-cleansing enterprise of the Germans in Europe.

Hope you find this bit of info useful in your quest for enlightenment.

Regards,

valachus
PMUsers Website
Imperialist
Posted: April 03, 2005 08:26 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (valachus @ Apr 3 2005, 05:58 PM)
How old is "very old"?
Well, nevermind that, and get a hold of this: the internet's abuzz with the notion that indeed the term "genocide" was coined in 1943 or 1944 by a Polish Jew, a lawyer by the name of Raphal Lemkin, in response to the unprecedented scale and scope of the jew-cleansing enterprise of the Germans in Europe.

Hope you find this bit of info useful in your quest for enlightenment.

Regards,

valachus

genocide = genos (greek) + caedere (latin)

Its meaning,

-- systematic killing of a racial or cultural group

is not new:

Deportation of and excesses against peaceful Armenians is increasing and from harrowing reports of eye witnesses it appears that a campaign of race extermination is in progress under a pretext of reprisal against rebellion.

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/us-7-16-15-text.html

There is a special term for words that do not bring new meanings into use, but new forms for old meanings.

Having said that, I admit my use of "very old" might have been exaggerated.

p.s. wonder why he used "genos" and not "gentis". maybe to make a new term?

take care

This post has been edited by Imperialist on April 03, 2005 08:30 pm

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: April 13, 2005 09:26 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Lets see some examples of how people actually find "reasonable" explanations for nuking whole cities today. I know to many it would sound preposterous, or absurd, but note how logical and "ethical" the justification of that action seems.

Time for more preemptive strikes...

I suggest we issue the following warning to all Muslim governments: "We will investigate each case of terrorism thoroughly to discern the native homeland that the terrorist originated. In the event we cannot determine this, we will randomly choose a city in one of your lands. After we choose the target, a tactical nuke will be detonated on top of one of your cities"

Prove this once, twice, or how ever many times is required.

Enjoy the resulting peace.

[When rebuked by the moderator, the person explains and logically defends his choice:]

Sir,

I understand your position. I honestly wish it was true. But you are wrong.

Consider the nuclear bombing of Japan in WW2

This killed between 1/8 and 1/4 of a million people, mainly women and children, but destroyed the main and third most important war production sites, which allowed the red army to drive the 1.3 million Japanese solders in Central Asia out.

If we didn't do this, Japanese-Asian-Russian deaths in central Asia could have easily reached into the multiple millions. The cost of finishing the war if we invaded conventionally was estimated at 1-3 million (Military on both sides and Japanese civilians). Some have even estimated that without the Emperors public statement for surrender, millions of civilians would continue to fight and die.

So, by killing 250,000 million women and children, we saved millions of lives.

What we are doing now is equivalent to the non-nuclear option in WW2 and is ultimately more deadly then taking out a city or two. If we take this war to its logical end and continue conventionally, god knows how many will die. I offer this suggestion as a way to SAVE lives.

If I am mistaken in my logic, please demonstrate it. This is serious business and I have no problem reconsidering my opinions and suggestions. However, I have reached this conclusion of what has to be done by considering ethics and ultimate body counts. Again, I seek to save life not take it. I think long term, not short term.

Response?

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/000023.php#comments

Later, the same guy, clarifies than the aforementioned stance is an "ethical" argument (!) :

As you admit, the non radical ones are outnumbered by radicals, so I ask...

Exactly how should we protect ourselves from 1.3 billion Muslims in 57 countries, many of which are actively seeking weapons of mass destruction and which espouse insane threats to us on a daily basis.

Again, please read the link I provided. It gives an ETHICAL argument for how innocents should be handled in times of war.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/000020.php#comments

The link he mentions is to the first quote. Obviously he calls that theory of action an argument for how innocents SHOULD be treated in times of war.

I posted this only as an example of how justifications for the type of late 1945 city busting (nuclear and non-nuclear) actions are actually fueling a disastrous mentality.

--------------------
I
PM
Chandernagore
Posted: May 09, 2005 09:52 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 106

QUOTE (valachus @ Mar 25 2005, 11:51 PM)
Chandernagore, sorry to bring it to you, but either your understanding of the English language leaves somewhat to be desired, or your impression of the rest of the forum members is that they're severely hampered in their understanding of English as a foreign language or completely lazy when suggested to read something by you.

That's why I'll take up the task of writing down the entire phrase you quoted, AS IS, in your scanned page at http://img118.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img118&ima...pendix285ky.jpg - this is something called "the no spin approach".

"He [the Chief of Air Staff, Sir Charles Portal and not Sir Arthur Harris, the Chief of Bomber Command, as I think you were trying to imply] agrees however that subject to the overriding claims of oil and the other approved target systems within the current directive, we should use available effort in one big attack on Berlin and related attacks on Dresden, Leipzig, Chemnitz or any other cities where a severe blitz will not only cause confusion in the evacuation from the East but will also hamper the movement of troops from the West."

What does one make of this?

That an attack on Dresden, Leipzig (already severely bombed in 1943 and february 1944) or Chemnitz (severely bombed in february and march 1945), among other potential targets, was of tertiary importance in the views of strategic air commanders of the Allies, after a ) the "oil and other approved target systems" and b ) Berlin.

That the attack on Dresden would have had as primary goal the hampering of movement of troops from the West (obviously, towards the East) and as a secondary one to create confusion in the evacuation from the East towards the West. 

Because, you see, that's what my English teacher told me, way back in the previous millenium: in the English language, the construction "not only A, but also B" is used in order to put the emphasis on B, and not on A. But then again, perhaps both her and I were, and still are, dead wrong. Till proven wrong, however, I'll presumptiously assume that she and I are right, and that you're not only wrong, but spinning like a man possessed.

Uh, man how come nobody slashed into this with a khukri ...

==>

the construction "not only A, but also B" is used in order to put the emphasis on B, and not on A

It's kind of weird to highlight one's own crap in such a way. But of course the common English language meaning is that A remains the primary factor and B a secondary one (emphasis notwhithstanding).

And so the English simply acknowledged that Dresden was to be a full blown terror operation. It was payback time for London. Spiegel nailed it in my link above when they detailed the nature of the loaded ordnance and the timing of it's delivery, all designed to summon a firestorm.

Allow me to put it back here :

The lessons learned led to the strategy followed by British Air Marshal Arthur Harris:

* First, large and highly explosive bombs were dropped to blow out windows, break open roofs and topple walls.

* Next, tens of thousands of small incendiaries and phosphorous bombs were scattered over the city, thus starting hundreds of small fires that caught quickly due to the drafts blowing through the openings created by the explosives.

* In following waves of attacks, British heavy bombers would drop more explosives and fragmentation bombs in an effort to prevent fire fighters from being able to extinguish the fires. The hope was also to destroy those water pipelines not annihilated by the first wave.

* The hundreds of fires would eventually join to form one raging inferno. A gigantic column of heat rising from the firestorm would create hurricane force winds and suck in oxygen surrounding the fire to feed the blaze. The heat was intense enough to melt asphalt. Thousands of people in air-raid shelters died from the heat, from carbon monoxide poisoning or from asphyxiation.

In Dresden on that fateful Tuesday in February, the strategy worked to perfection.

That, gentlemen, leaves doubts only in the mind of lunatics and apologists like Taylor.

This post has been edited by Chandernagore on May 09, 2005 09:56 am
PM
Alexandru H.
Posted: May 09, 2005 10:00 am
Quote Post

Sergent major
Group Icon

Member No.: 57

Excellent Chandernagore-type post! biggrin.gif Unfortunately, valachus retreated for some time so it will be very hard to find a true opponent...
PMUsers Website
Indrid
Posted: May 09, 2005 10:07 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Member No.: 142

wow. very PLASTIC description, Cahndernagore.

damn, you forgot the screaming children and the yelling women laugh.gif
PMICQ
Chandernagore
Posted: May 09, 2005 10:41 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Now attaching a sound file, that would be scary... Fire and explosion sound walls propagating in every direction, horrible agony screaming all over and one women madly crying "they're only after the rail track , they said it should be the rail tracks ..."

Maybe Curioso will jump back into the arena. And we'll start punching each other's nose again biggrin.gif

PM
Indrid
Posted: May 09, 2005 10:48 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif indeed

i forgot about that guy
PMICQ
Imperialist
Posted: May 09, 2005 11:23 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Chandernagore @ May 9 2005, 10:41 AM)
Now attaching a sound file, that would be scary... Fire and explosion sound walls propagating in every direction, horrible agony screaming all over and one women madly crying "they're only after the rail track , they said it should be the rail tracks ..."

Maybe Curioso will jump back into the arena. And we'll start punching each other's nose again biggrin.gif

Welcome back man! What did you do, go on a field trip to Dresden? laugh.gif
Just to see for yourself?

biggrin.gif

--------------------
I
PM
Chandernagore
Posted: May 09, 2005 11:31 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Ah, well ... I thought it would be a good idea to get myself banned on some other forum, for a change. Here I could not longer align 3 consecutive sentences without flying out of the window laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Chandernagore on May 09, 2005 11:32 am
PM
Indrid
Posted: May 09, 2005 11:57 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chandernagore @ May 9 2005, 01:31 PM)
Ah, well ... I thought it would be a good idea to get myself banned on some other forum, for a change. Here I could not longer align 3 consecutive sentences without flying out of the window laugh.gif

are you sure the heat is off? tongue.gif
PMICQ
C-2
Posted: May 09, 2005 06:12 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Chander,you forgot the bombs that were programed to explode after a few hours,killing the rescue teams and people getting out of the shelters...
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0320 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]