Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Roumanian Nieuport 17, Please help with pilot info
angiolillo
Posted: March 07, 2005 04:46 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 535

Hello!

Sorry to bother you with a not so important need. I am publishing a card game about WWI pilots. Planes of all major nations are included: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States...

You can see some cards there:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/imagegallery.php3?gameid=9910

I would be glad to include a Roumenian Nieuport 17 in the next box. On the basis of several documents I got a standard alluminium one with Roumenian roundels. I would like to put the name of a pilot and a unit on it. I'd be happy to be as historically accurate as possible (I know it is just a game...).

The standard in our game is rank, name, family name, unit and air service (for example, Royal Flying Corps or Royal Navy). All things are in the language of the nation: Italian for Italian pilots, German for Germans and so on. Some examples:

Sous Lieutenant Charles Nungesser 65éme Escadrille Aviation Militaire
Captain Albert Ball 60 Squadron Royal Flying Corps
Sottotenente Giannino Ancillotto 80^ Squadriglia Regio Esercito
Leutnant Fritz Höhn Jasta 21 Luftstreitskräfte

I would be so grateful to you if you could provide me a Roumenian pilot of Ni.17 (alluminium color, please) with his rank and unit in Roumenian, and also the Roumenian name of the Air Force in Roumenian at that time.

Thanks a lot!

Andrea

PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: March 08, 2005 08:24 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Are you sure about the Nieuports 17 in Romanian service during WW1. From what I know the Romanian Nieupirt squadrons flew 11s.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: March 08, 2005 08:35 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

Were used N.17. Source - Modelism International, just Modelism at that time early then 1989. Was an article about a romanian pilot and a presentation of romanian Nieuport 11. I had this issue ("issue" - inseamna ... numarul, exemplarul... etc.?) at home. I forget the name of the pilot. What i rememeber... ? It was a dog fitght, romanian pilot was wounded to death.. But, in this forum we have at least one person passioned by ww1 romanian aviation. Maybe he could help much more.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Agarici
Posted: March 08, 2005 09:20 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

Well, I'm far away for being any kind of expert in any period of the aviation history, but I also remember an article (I’m not sure if it was from the “Top Gun” magazine or from “Modelism”) about the Nieuport 17. It said that an exemplary was sent by the French government to Romania especially to be awarded to the most able Romanian pilot, but if I remember correctly this was towards the end of WWI if not after the war ended. However the pilot’s name and coordinates were given in the article. I’m not sure if apart from this plane there were other Nieuport 17 in service in Romania, if we consider Romania’s participation to the war until the armistice from at end of 1917. I’d say that maybe a more representative fighter plane for Romanian air force in WW1 would be the Nieuport 11, but this is only my opinion.

So Andrea I’ll search for that article and I’ll try to send you some info these days
And Iama… yes, issue is “număr”, “exemplar” for a publication.

PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: March 08, 2005 09:34 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

I think it was a Spad VII, the only one, send for the most brave and co. romanian pilot. Thanks for english help, with "issue".

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: March 08, 2005 09:36 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Mr. Angiolillo,

Please tell us some words about this game. If i understand well, is with cards. How it plays?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
angiolillo
Posted: March 08, 2005 09:36 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Hello!

I have no good documents about Ni.17 but there has been a little chat at The Aerodrome Forum. You can have a look at

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17260

They wrote, beside the rest:

- - -

JohnMacG

--

About ten years ago, when the french magazine 'Avions' first came out, they did a couple of articles about the Rumanian AF in WW1. The following pics come from there: -
The first shows a N11 of the commander of Escadrille F.4, Capt. Giossanu, showing his personal marking of two rabbits boxing.
The second is a Rumanian N24, possibly post-war.
There aren't any good pics of N17s in the articles, but all the pics of Rumanian Nieuports seem to show them in standard French finish, IE aluminium overall, with the ONLY change seeming to be the white part of the French markings being overpainted with yellow. Even the French serial # on the white part of the rudder stripes seems to have been overpainted.

- - -

Tailspin

--

This isn't much help, because I don't remember the source, but I once saw an illustration of a Romanian Nieuport 17 with the roundels like the one shown above and the original French aluminum colored paint job. I seam to recal a vertically striped tail in Romanian colors, but I'm trying to recall a picture I paid little attention to a long time (at least 15 years) ago.

-For what it's worth,

Tom

- - -

After all it is for a little card game. But if I can add some more info...

And what about the Ropumenian name for the Air Force? Something like "Aviatie Român"? Sorry for my utterly lacking knowledge of the subject.

Thanks a lot!

Andrea

PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: March 08, 2005 09:39 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Certainly, il need to look at home on my documentation. If i rememer well, Haralabie Giossanu had another personal emblema - on his cowling ring, in front of the engine was write "GIOSSANU". But, i need to look for confirmation.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: March 08, 2005 09:45 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Look "Important: The beginnings of the Romanian air force ", this is a sticky topic in this part of the forum, and i think Florin can give some more help, appersa to be well informed about that period.

Anyway, how it plays your game? Rules, etc.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Agarici
Posted: March 08, 2005 11:29 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Iamandi @ Mar 8 2005, 09:34 AM)
I think it was a Spad VII, the only one, send for the most brave and co. romanian pilot. Thanks for english help, with "issue".

Iama

Well Iama... I think you're right smile.gif.
Sorry, my mistake sad.gif.
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 08, 2005 11:46 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Below it's a picture with romanian Ni-17. Unfortunetly i don't know the year of the picture and the name of the pilot. The color is silver. The yellow from national marks of rudder is more darkness compare with blue.

Dan.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on March 08, 2005 11:49 am

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Iamandi
Posted: March 08, 2005 12:13 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

In that Modelism "issue" biggrin.gif was one painted in dark green, or something like. And one in white - steel i don't know how to say that colour. And both planes remembered had personal signs. More, tomorrow, after i look at some "issue"'s . biggrin.gif

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 08, 2005 12:25 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

And one in white - steel i don't know how to say that colour.

It's silver. ( aluminium powder paint )
PM
angiolillo
Posted: March 08, 2005 12:41 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks a lot for all the great info. I'll wait for more! wink.gif

Iamandi:
Look "Important: The beginnings of the Romanian air force ", this is a sticky topic in this part of the forum, and i think Florin can give some more help, appersa to be well informed about that period.

Thanks a lot, I noticed before posting. But no details about Ni.17, alas.

Iamandi:
Anyway, how it plays your game? Rules, etc.

You put an airplane card on the table. You have a deck of maneuver cards depending on the model of your plane: each one has a large arrow on it. Everybody secretly chooses three maneuvers. Then everybody puts his firts maneuver in front of the plane ad move the latter along the arrow. With a ruler, you see if you can reach an enemy in front of you and you give him 1 or 2 damage cards (long or short range). Then you move the second maneuver and shhot, then the third. Then you take back the three cards and plan a new turn. That's almost it.

You can see pictures, download the PDF of the rulebook and find links there:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9203

Bye and thanks!

Andrea

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
angiolillo
Posted: March 08, 2005 05:37 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (Agarici @ Mar 8 2005, 09:20 AM)
I’d say that maybe a more representative fighter plane for Romanian air force in WW1 would be the Nieuport 11, but this is only my opinion.

So Andrea I’ll search for that article and I’ll try to send you some info these days

You are right... But in this very moment I only have a chance to insert either a Nieuport 17 or a Nieuport 23. I'll try to add a Romenian Ni.11 at the firest occasion, anyway.

Thanks a lot for all the help that you gave and that you'll give me!

Andrea
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0609 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]