Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (9) « First ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Clasps of the Crusade Medal, Formerly known as "Rod"
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 23, 2006 01:17 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 198

Does anyone have any photos of German soldiers wearing this medal with bars ? I have only seen them wearing the medal without.
PMYahooMSN
b737
Posted: July 23, 2006 03:20 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ July 23, 2006 01:17 pm)
Does anyone have any photos of German soldiers wearing this medal with bars ? I have only seen them wearing the medal without.

I saw some awarding certificates from this medal with bars awarded to german soldiers.
PMEmail Poster
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 23, 2006 03:33 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

I have seen examples of these as well. However, I have not actually seen photographs of German soldiers actually wearing this medal with bars.
PMYahooMSN
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 23, 2006 04:00 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

Hallo Gentlemen biggrin.gif

I contacted the seller of the bars via ebay and asked the size of the bars,
his reply

"Thes are 25mm width, not including the folding tabs. Therefore I suppose they are the German issue." End of Reply.

I have a sample of Romanian ribbon at 38mm in width and a sample of German ribbon at 26mm.
The standard German ribbon width was about 25 / 26mm I believe for WW2 Medal bars.

The other thing I find strange is there is no hole in the bars for fixing the bars to the ribbon, it was hardly meant for them to slide up or down freely and the chances of losing them would be high, so I rate them as REPRO / FAKE.

Kevin in Deva biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 23, 2006 07:04 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (b737 @ July 23, 2006 04:20 pm)

I saw some awarding certificates from this medal with bars awarded to german soldiers.

An example from the first page of this thread.

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 23, 2006 07:06 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ July 23, 2006 05:00 pm)
The other thing I find strange is there is no hole in the bars for fixing the bars to the ribbon, it was hardly meant for them to slide up or down freely and the chances of losing them would be high, so I rate them as REPRO / FAKE.

Are these fakes as well?
user posted image
Originally posted by Dénes
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 23, 2006 07:09 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (mihai @ July 22, 2006 06:20 am)
THis is the envelpoe of the medal,
Is this envelope variation?

user posted image

See another envelope in an earlier post by Dénes.
PM
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 23, 2006 07:21 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

From what I see in the last 5 or 6 posts, it all appears to be original. I am wondereing about the German made bars. They made them also in gold and silver ?
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 24, 2006 12:00 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

QUOTE (Carol I @ July 23, 2006 07:04 pm)
QUOTE (b737 @ July 23, 2006 04:20 pm)

An example from the first page of this thread.

user posted image

Interesting to note that the Brevet specificaqlly denotes a silver bar. Why silver insted of gold ?
PMYahooMSN
Carol I
Posted: July 24, 2006 06:40 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ July 24, 2006 01:00 am)
Interesting to note that the Brevet specificaqlly denotes a silver bar. Why silver insted of gold ?

Actually the "metals" were 'bronze' and 'silvered'.
PM
b737
Posted: July 24, 2006 07:57 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (Carol I @ July 24, 2006 06:40 am)
QUOTE (REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR @ July 24, 2006 01:00 am)

Actually the "metals" were 'bronze' and 'silvered'.

According to Mr Calianu's book the recipients of silvered bars must have participated to all the battles in the area of the location mentioned on the bar!

Mr Klietmann notes in his book that the recipients of such silvered bars sould have participated also to other battles that the one mentioned on the bar!

This post has been edited by b737 on July 24, 2006 07:59 am
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 24, 2006 09:32 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (b737 @ July 24, 2006 08:57 am)
According to Mr Calianu's book the recipients of silvered bars must have participated to all the battles in the area of the location mentioned on the bar!

Mr Klietmann notes in his book that the recipients of such silvered bars sould have participated also to other battles that the one mentioned on the bar!

Calianu's explanation makes more sense: those who participated only to a few battles received the bronze clasp, while those who participated to all the major battles received the silvered one.

On the other hand, Klietmann's explanation that the first clasp received was bronze and all the subsequent ones were silvered implies that all awards of the medal with a clasp should be with a bronze one (while the subsequent awards should be silvered clasps only, without the medal). This is however contradicted by the certificate above (unless irregularities did exist).
PM
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 24, 2006 11:54 am
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

Hallo Gentlemen biggrin.gif

Again with regards this thread and the medal and bars in question I will repeat, unless Photographic or documentry evidence is produced then it remains in the fantasy world, hearsay is not conclusive evidence.

user posted image

Sample of the German made Ribbon for the Romanian "Crusade against Communisum Medal 1941" on the left, and original Romanian Ribbon for the same award, the difference in width is about 10mm.

And if we take it that this bar is supposed to be folded at the edges it clearly is too small for the original Romanian ribbon:

user posted image

Kevin in Deva biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by New Connaught Ranger on July 24, 2006 06:41 pm
PMEmail Poster
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 24, 2006 01:12 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ July 24, 2006 11:54 am)
Again with regards this thread and the medal and bars in question I will repeat, unless Photographic or documentry evidence is produced then it remains in the fantasy world, hearsay is not conclusive evidence.

That is why I have originally asked if anyone has any photographic examples of Germans wearing bars. I have not seen any. I have only seen a handful of Romanian Brevets issued to German soldiers that indicate silver bars being awarded. I am assuming that they were issued. However, under the conditions the Germans were in, I don't think that they took the time to sew these bars on their uniforms and if they were capturd by the Russians, these bars would not look so hot for the soldier. My geuss.
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 24, 2006 01:16 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Kingdom of Romania - Medal award document dated 1943 - The Medal for the Crusade Against Communism - With Campaign Bar KRIM (Crimea) silvered. To a Wachtmeister SCHIERMEIER of the German army unit D.V.K. fighting on the Russian front. Brevet from Ebay.

user posted image
PMYahooMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) « First ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0317 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]