Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (9) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Clasps of the Crusade Medal, Formerly known as "Rod"
boonicootza
Posted: October 25, 2005 07:13 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Group: Members
Member No.: 135

QUOTE (dragos03 @ Oct 25 2005, 07:16 PM)
I think the medals with "P. Grant" are the only original ones, while the unsigned ones are repros.

I have seen this information on wehrmacht awards forum:
there were basically 2 types of official Crusade medals-those made in Rumania and those made in Germany. The latter are a little better in detail and lack the 'P. Grant" underneath the head of Ms. Rumania.
Souval also cranked them out after 1948 and well into the 1970s.

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Carol I
Posted: October 26, 2005 07:25 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

Thanks for your replies.

Do you know what is meant with the quote below? Were these medals produced officially?
Souval also cranked them out after 1948 and well into the 1970s.
PM
boonicootza
Posted: October 26, 2005 12:48 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 135

From what I know Souval produced after the war medals and badges of the Third Reich and probably the romanian medal. From 1957 they produced denazified versions for veterans, and I believe that produced the Crusade against Bolshevism medal too. The medals were manufactured officially for veterans.

--------------------
~
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Carol I
Posted: October 26, 2005 03:09 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (boonicootza @ Oct 26 2005, 01:48 PM)
From what I know Souval produced after the war medals and badges of the Third Reich and probably the romanian medal. From 1957 they produced denazified versions for veterans, and  I believe that produced the Crusade against Bolshevism medal too. The medals were manufactured officially for veterans.

Thanks. Were the Souval issues sanctioned by the National Mint? I guess that only then one can speak about official issues. Otherwise the medals should be regarded only as privately made copies, shouldn't they?

What are the characteristic features of the Souval medals?
PM
dragos03
Posted: October 26, 2005 04:09 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

Interesting information. Are the Souval-made medals signed by "P. Grant"?

In any case, they should be considered copies.
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 02, 2005 10:26 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

According to Safta et al book on Romanian war decorations, the Crusade medal was instituted on 1 April 1942 by Royal Decree no. 1014 and was awarded irrespective of rank to all military and auxiliary personnel with distinguished activity on the Eastern front.

An interesting note regards the metal bars. It appears that only one bar was supposed to be worn at one time, namely the bar corresponding to the latest battle to which the bearer of the medal has participated. And the authors also mention that the fact that the first bar was bronze and all the subsequent ones were silvered. If this is true, then the medals with multiple bars are in violation of the regulations. Does anyone have access to the decree that instituted the medal to confirm the regulations?
PM
Dénes
Posted: November 09, 2005 07:27 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

A 'Cruciada...' medal with a CRIMEA bar/rod (currently on eBay).
Notice the different spelling, compared to the similar bar shown on the previous page (spelled CRIMEIA).

user posted image

There is an interesting note inserted by the seller:
Rumänien, Medaille Kreuzzug gegen den Kommunismus, sog. Kukuruz-orden (für das Beobachten von Maisfeldern)

I haven't heard this medal being dubbed the 'Kukuruz-orden' (i.e. 'maise medal', reference to forward observers, who watched the battlefield from corn field). blink.gif

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on November 09, 2005 07:28 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: November 09, 2005 08:08 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Dénes @ Nov 9 2005, 08:27 PM)
Notice the different spelling, compared to the similar bar shown on the previous page (spelled CRIMEIA).

user posted image

Dénes, thanks for providing this confirmation of the CRIMEA bar. I was beginning to think that the bar in the image posted earlier was the only one (although its presence together with another bronze bar might raise some questions if Klietmann or Safta et al are right).
PM
dragos03
Posted: November 09, 2005 08:17 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

A German medal bar with a "Crusade" medal with "CRIMEIA" bar.

Notice that the Romanian medal was mounted on the bar in a different way compared to the German ones, in order to mount the bar.

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 09, 2005 08:22 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Speaking about the Safta et al book on Romanian war decorations, I must quote something from it:
QUOTE (Safta et al)
The ten bars, with the names of the respective battles were: BUCOVINA, BASARABIA, DOBROGEA, NISTRU, ODESSA, BUG, NIPRU, AZOV, CRIMEEA, DONEŢ, MAREA NEAGRĂ

I know that we have identified more than ten bars, but I wonder which one of the eleven listed by the authors does not fit in the list. laugh.gif
PM
dragos03
Posted: November 11, 2005 07:47 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

One with "Caucaz" bar, from E-bay.

user posted image
PM
dragos03
Posted: November 11, 2005 08:22 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

And a German 4-place medal bar, including a Crusade medal with "Donet" bar. Originally posted on the wermacht awards forum.

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 11, 2005 09:07 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Dénes @ Nov 9 2005, 08:27 PM)

user posted image

user posted image

The interesting aspect with this medal is that it has a narrow (German style?) ribbon with a broad bar. How common was that?
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 11, 2005 09:09 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (dragos03 @ Nov 11 2005, 08:47 PM)
One with "Caucaz" bar, from E-bay.

user posted image

user posted image

Here we have the opposite case: a medal with wide ribbon and narrow bar. Common?
PM
Carol I
Posted: November 11, 2005 09:50 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

It appears that the term for the metal additions to the ribbon of the medal is 'clasp'. I will use this term from now on.

Based on the images posted this far, I can update the list of clasps of the 'Crusade' medal (bold-faced names refer to images of broad clasps posted this far; italic-faced names refer to narrow clasps posted this far; simple-faced names refer to bars that have yet to be posted).

AZOV
BASARABIA
BUCOVINA
BUG
CAUCAZ
CALMUCIA
CRIMEA
CRIMEEA
CRIMEIA
DOBROGEA
DONEŢ
KALMUCEA
MAREA NEAGRĂ
MARE NEGRU (misspelling ?)
NIPRU
NISTRU
DNJESTR (for Germans?)
ODESA
ODESSA
PRUT
STALINGRAD

Please let us know if you have knowledge of any further clasps or other errors in the list (fakes - more or less notorious, details on the various versions for names etc.).
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0395 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]