Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> a question about a sentence in the worldwar2ro site
pak
Posted: August 08, 2003 05:27 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 74

Hi,Victor
I've send a E-mail to you,but I'm afraid you have'nt got it,so I'll ask here.
In your article "General Iosif Teodorescu - Operative memoir on the last fights preceding the fall of Odessa",ther is a sentence which I don't quite understand.This sentence is "It was likely that the withdrawal to have been yet postponed - as it happened twice as stated by POWs - in case the evacuation could not be completed by 22 October."
Could you explain it in simple English?
Thank you.
PM
pak
Posted: August 08, 2003 08:46 am
Quote Post

Soldat

And in your article "The Bessarabian campaign –1941" ,I also have a question :oops: .
In paragraph 20, there is a sentence"The operation was supported by the 1/2nd Guard Vanatori (infantry) Regiment."
What does 1/2nd guard infantry regiment mean?
Does it mean 1st regiment of the 2nd guard infantry Divison,or 1st Battalion of 2nd Regiment, or harf of the guard infantry?
And is Guard Infantry a Elite Force in the Romania army, or a second-class Force?
What kind of arms of services does the "Guard" mean?A kind of infantry?
I also asked this question in the Third Reich Historical Forum . smile.gif
I'll really appreciate your help.
PM
Victor
Posted: August 08, 2003 12:09 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I got your e-mail, but unfortunately I did not have too much spare time lately (because of many household activities).

First, that is not an article, it is an original document. I believe that what Dragos meant was:
It was very probable that the retreat would have been postponed once again – as it was done twice before (according to POWs testimonies) – if the evacuation would not have been completed by 22 October.

The 1/2nd Guard Vanatori Regiment = Regimentul 1 Vanatori de Garda nr. 2 "Regina Elisabeta a Greciei"
There was also Regimentul 1 Vanatori de Garda "Principele Mostenitor Ferdinand"

I do not know why there were two Regiments with the same designation (1st Guard Vanatori). It is also a mystery to me too?

If you are interested in the Romanian Guard units look here http://www.worldwar2.ro/organizare/?articl...=17&language=en
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
pak
Posted: August 08, 2003 01:30 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

The 1/2nd Guard Vanatori Regiment = Regimentul 1 Vanatori de Garda nr. 2 \"Regina Elisabeta a Greciei\"  
There was also Regimentul 1 Vanatori de Garda \"Principele Mostenitor Ferdinand\"

Thank you for help. But I don't understand other foreign languadges except English. Could you give me an English version?
Since the Guard Divison is an elite force in Romanian troops, why is their CO's rank brigadier, Which is lower than other division's CO's rank? For example, the 21st Infantry Division's CO:Nicolae Dascalescu was a Major General. And what do 'protocol duties' mean?

I'm very interested in the Romanian troops in WWII, so your site gives me a great help. Shall I send you a E-mail or ask you in the forum if I have some questions?
PM
Victor
Posted: August 08, 2003 04:10 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Regimentul 1 Vanatori de Garda nr. 2 = 1st Guard Vanatori Regiment no.2
Sometimes it is also designated as the Regimentul 1/2 Vanatori Garda, thus the 1/2nd Guard Regiment.

The protocol duties of the Guard Division included guarding the Royal palaces and other important buildings etc.

Not all COs were of the "required" rank. It was not a problem though.
pak
Posted: August 09, 2003 10:58 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Sorry to disturb you again.
The Guard Division was strongly attacked in the sector of the 1/2nd and 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiments.

Does 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiment mean 2nd Guard Vanatori Regiment No.9? If this is so, the 2nd Guard Regiment has 9 Regiments with the same designation !
And What does "Regina Elisabeta a Greciei"mean in English?
Does 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiments have a title such as "Regina Elisabeta a Greciei"?
I'm eager to get your help.

And I discused with my friends about your article 'The Bessarabian campaign –1941'.
Opposing these forces were (from north to south) the 12th, 9th, 18th, 19th Soviet Army and the Soviet Seaside Independent Army. They composed of 19 infantry divisions, 6 tank brigades (1,050 tanks), 3 motorized brigades and 3 cavalry brigades. Their navy was more numerous than the Romanian one. Air support consisted of 1,750 airplanes.

He has his doubts that the Soviet tank brigades, motorized brigades, cavalry brgades should be tank divisons, motorized divisions, cavalry divisons.
And he thinks that at the beginning of the war, there should be 16 infantry divisions.
Before the war broke out, opposing the Romanian forces were the 9th,12th(part) Soviet Army, after the war broke out, the enemy of Romanian troops were 9th,18th Soviet Army. And the 19th Army didn't involve in the battle.
I also have a question. After the war broke out, the German 11th Army's rival was 12th Soviet Army. Is that right?
And from North to South, should be 12th,18th,19th,Seaside
PM
mars
Posted: August 10, 2003 05:13 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 70

Pak, I am pretty sure that " 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiments " means the second Battalion of the 9th Guard Vanatori Regiments
PM
Victor
Posted: August 10, 2003 06:37 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Does 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiment mean 2nd Guard Vanatori Regiment No.9? If this is so, the 2nd Guard Regiment has 9 Regiments with the same designation !  
And What does \"Regina Elisabeta a Greciei\"mean in English?

As I already told you, I do not know why there were two numbers for some Regiments. I think I will modify the article so that only one number appears. To make things simpler.
Regina Elisabeta a Greciei= Queen Elisabeth of Greece

Does 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiments have a title such as \"Regina Elisabeta a Greciei\"?

Regele Alexandru al Iugoslaviei=King Alexander of Yugoslavia
Victor
Posted: September 12, 2003 07:22 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

I finally managed to find out why those regiments had the strange names.
Through the Royal Decree No. 1949/6 June 1931 (one year after Carol II returned to Romania), the 2nd Vanatori Regiment Regina Elisabeta became the 1st Guard Vanatori Regiment no. 2 Regina Elisabeta. The same for the 9th Vanatori Regiment Regele Alexandru al Iugoslaviei, which became the 2nd Guard Vanatori Regiment no. 9 Regele Alexandru al Iugoslaviei. Thus the numbers at the end are easily explainable: they were the previous number of the regiment.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0429 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]