Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Vlad Ţepeş, ~ ruler of Valachia, Medieval Romania
Der Maresal
Posted: February 10, 2005 06:06 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Stories of Medieval Romania, Published by 'Florian Cristescu' between 1920-1946, entitled "Povestea Neamului Nostru" (the story of our People).

"Vlad the Impaler" is a better title given to this man who was probably the best known of all rulers of Romania. The man that put peoples on stakes, nailed bolts through their heads, but always judged them, and punished accordingly..
It is up to the reader to decide weather this man deserves the title 'Dracula' or vampire labeled to him, or more appropriately named 'Cruel but Fair'.

These stories from times long gone, are very interesting and worth reading.
They are here for everyone to read and learn from, in both languages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

user posted image

user posted image
"Vlad Ţepeş pedepseşte pe ce linguşitori si crută pe cei care spun adevărul"

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
"Vlad Ţepeş punishes the liars and spares those that tell the truth"

Once upon a time, two foreign monks who came from beyond the Danube, and had been looking for charity were brought forward to Vlad Ţepeş.

Knowing that they were strangers, (and traveled allot) Vlad Ţepeş wanted to know from them what his peoples really taught about him.

For this he had them brought forward into the throne room, in front of noble men (boyars) and told them:
Faithful, servants of God! You are men that love truth and righteousness! Tell me, honestly, ‘Christian like’: what do the peoples from my country think of me? But you have to tell me straight, honesty! You have wandered the country from east to west, to every corner, and many things you must know. Tell them to me!

Well, what should the folk think of you, your highness. Enlightened and powerful lord… said one of the monks. The people praise you, and bless you like a good and merciful parent that you are my lord.
You have only done good deeds, Christian deeds. The widows and the orphans you have helped. Your kindness and mercifulness has no limits.

Vlad was sickened by all these filthy lies he was hearing from the monk, but said nothing, and turning to the other monk said:

Tell me your holiness as well, what you’ve been hearing about me?
This man, more truth loving and a more faithful servant of Christ taught in his head that Vlad might kill them as he did with the other beggars from abroad and said to himself: “I will tell the truth exactly as I know it”. Why should my soul bear the guilt that I have not told the truth?”

And making the sign of the cross, he faces the lord and says:
Your highness, forgive me, but ever since I have wandered through the land, rarely have I seen a faithful man who would speak good of you.

The ordinary, dumb peoples do not really love you, but the boyars the noble men they curse you and they hate you like the greatest outlaw.

“Good, that’s what they may think, but you...what do you think of me?” asks Vlad.
“Me, your highness, what should I think, my poor soul? I believe just as they do, that not even in the great depths of hell will you have a place, for the pagan and inhuman things you have done”

After this second monk had finished talking, Vlad stood up from the throne and spoke the following:

“You who have spoken first, you have not told the truth. I command that you shall be impaled on a stake in front of the people in the middle of the town center, so that it shall be known from now on allover my country how I punish those who lie.”

And you, who have spoken truth, you may leave and keep in mind that I always punish and judge truth wise.

This post has been edited by Der Maresal on February 10, 2005 06:21 am
PMMSN
udar
Posted: February 14, 2005 04:30 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Members
Member No.: 354

Vlad the Impaler-Vlad Tepes,was a master of psichological warfare,and he`s methods,cruel even for that period was verry eficient,and help the country to survive,in that dangerous times.He became a legend for that time,and sow know,that mothers from Otoman Empire scare their childrens with he`s name,and he`s expedition in south Danube,in winter 0f 1461-1462,provoc an exod of turk population who want to go in Anatolia.And foreigners merchant,(especially from germans origin,who spread the vampire mit)was punish for brake the country law and economy.Ofcourse the traitors and others peoples from country who brake the rull,was cruel punish too.There is a legend who say that if you lost your gold money,to the most dark part of any town or village,you can find him next day,untouch,in the same place.I think Vlad-Tepes was one of the most important medieval rulers,who influence with he`s action other great leaders(Stefan cel Mare/Stephen the Great,or Mihai Viteazul/Michael the Brave).
PMEmail Poster
petru
Posted: February 17, 2005 03:24 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

I think he was just a very sick person, who happend to fight the turks. therefore he became more of a myth during the communist time. Lately I had the opportunity to watch some old romanian hystoric movies. Most of them are not entirely true, but they also contributed to the myths.
PM
Indrid
Posted: February 18, 2005 11:23 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Member No.: 142

QUOTE (petru @ Feb 17 2005, 05:24 AM)
I think he was just a very sick person, who happend to fight the turks. therefore he became more of a myth during the communist time.

how old are you?
PMICQ
petru
Posted: February 18, 2005 04:33 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

how old are you?

I posted that somewhere on the forum. Just check it if you are curious!
PM
Mareşal Boboescu
Posted: February 19, 2005 08:04 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 397

I would like to add just one thing: Vlad was the only European ruler of his day that had the courage to atack the Ottoman camp and attempt to kill the sultan. His only missfortune is that he got the wrong tent.

HONOR ET PATRIA

Ml. B.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: February 19, 2005 08:33 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Well, not exactly. During the first battle of Kossovopolje, a Serb knight gave himself up and when he was brought in front of the sultan Murad II, he killed him. The situation was saved by the sultan's son: Bayezid, the well known foe of Mircea the Old.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: February 21, 2005 07:17 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

This serb knight... want to make a revenge, because his loved girl Olena was killed in a turk harem, or something?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Stephen Dabapuscu
Posted: April 22, 2005 06:03 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 440

Vlad Tepes, was a great Romania "hero" he defeated the Ottomen Empire, and Romania was spared the Ethnic violance that former Jugoslavia, suffered in the 90's. Vlad Dracula fought against the corrupt boyar class, who where putting their own interest ahead of Romania's. Romania could use a strong leader like Vlad Dracula, today we would strong again quickly.

Thank You
PMEmail Poster
Indrid
Posted: April 22, 2005 06:09 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Member No.: 142

QUOTE (Stephen Dabapuscu @ Apr 22 2005, 08:03 AM)
Vlad Tepes, was a great Romania "hero" he defeated the Ottomen Empire, and Romania was spared the Ethnic violance that former Jugoslavia, suffered in the 90's. Vlad Dracula fought against the corrupt boyar class, who where putting their own interest ahead of Romania's. Romania could use a strong leader like Vlad Dracula, today we would strong again quickly.

Thank You

what is sad is that i hear this discourse everywhere these days without anyone actually doing anything
PMICQ
Zayda
Posted: April 22, 2005 03:34 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 300

isn't anyone worried about this "popular truth" regarding the fact that all that will ever work in Romania and be succesful with Romanians is a strong leader? it is a myth that started with Tepes. is it true? do we only respond to punishment or threats of force hanging over our heads?
PM
Florin
Posted: April 23, 2005 02:02 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Zayda @ Apr 22 2005, 10:34 AM)
isn't anyone worried about this "popular truth" regarding the fact that all that will ever work in Romania and be succesful with Romanians is a strong leader? .................is it true? do we only respond to punishment or threats of force hanging over our heads?

The temptation toward corruption and toward using politic power for personal interest is in every country.
What makes the difference between various societies is their will to punish this behaviour, at all levels, regardless of who the caught person is. There is no perfect society, but for people to trust in their economy, they have to be convinced that there is some fairness in the every day life.
As the Romanians say: Frica pazeste pepenii. (Fear keeps the watermelons safe.)
PM
Florin
Posted: April 23, 2005 02:16 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

Many people, especially foreigners, who try to ridicule Vlad Tepes and his cruelty, forget that those were very cruel times in Europe. Torment in many forms continued in Europe as late as the end of the 18th Century, with executions in public squares etc.
Inquisition was abolished in 1820 - quite late I would say.
During the empress Maria Tereza was published a catalog / manual for the tormenters, where various advices about how to produce pain where detailed. This is not quite a honor for that Austrian regime, considering that it was in the middle of the XVIIIth Century - "The Illuminated Century".

My note was stirred by the awful reproduction/picture here in this topic.
But just learn what the Spaniards did decades later, in their beloved role as Conquistadors, in the newly occupied territories of Central America.
Unfortunately, all across Europe, the Europeans became experts in torture long before they became experts in industry, financing or art.
PM
Stephen Dabapuscu
Posted: April 23, 2005 11:59 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 440

Many Western European/North American's may not like Vlad Tepes, for his crulty!
Why should we care? They do not understand the postition that Romania was in or our history. Romania was/is a nation surrounded by emenies and self-serving allies, only a strong leader like Vlad Tepes could have saved Romania. Instead of complaining about Vlad Tepes methods, westerners should be greatful to Vlad Tepes and Romania. He stoped the Ottomen Empire from expanding any further into Europe.

Thank you
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: April 24, 2005 03:10 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Stephen Dabapuscu @ Apr 23 2005, 11:59 PM)
Many Western European/North American's may not like Vlad Tepes, for his crulty!
Why should we care? They do not understand the postition that Romania was in or our history. Romania was/is a nation surrounded by emenies and self-serving allies, only a strong leader like Vlad Tepes could have saved Romania. Instead of complaining about Vlad Tepes methods, westerners should be greatful to Vlad Tepes and Romania. He stoped the Ottomen Empire from expanding any further into Europe.

Thank you

Vlad and other Romanian rulers used guerilla tactics against a superior foe.
They harassed the supply columns of the invaders, they attacked under the cover of night, they used the ground to face an overwhelming enemy.
Vlad used some psychological weapons too. I mean the great number of impaled ottoman soldiers which were posted so as to be seen by the invading army.
He was a warrior and he fought as he could/knew.
Though there is a wave of removing the myths in Romanian history, I think the more the myth is removed the more the true value of the rulers is recognised. Ofcourse, on condition the political and military context of the age is understood.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0355 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]