Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Info on pilot Florea Virgil Chifulescu
Barbosu
Posted: January 12, 2005 10:51 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Group: Members
Member No.: 438

I have to travel outside Bucharest to get the remaining documents and I did not have the time to do that.

ABOUT 73rd BSqd. According to the campaigns section of your site:

IN 1941 there was no 73rd B sqd! That was my question!

IN MAY 1940 it was part of Flotila 1 Bombardament

QUOTE (about Flotila 1 Bombardament) from Sorin Tulea's book:

"...may 1940...

One could admire airplanes like: french (Potez 54, Potez 651, Potez 63, Bloch 210 “Verdun”), english (Bristol Blenheim MK1), polish (P.Z.L. 38 „Los“), italian (Savoia Marchetti 79 cool.gif, german (Heinkel 111 H3, Foke Wulf 58 „Weihe“), american (Fleet F 10G), and, of course, romanian (Set 7 K).

In that period, the 73rd squad was flying 9 Savoia Marcheti, 2 Foke Wulf, 2 SET 7K and 3 Fleet F 10G."

In the campaigns section I find the 73-rd only in july 1941. That means that it did not fight until that date?

Thank you,

Barbosu
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: January 13, 2005 07:42 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Barbosu @ Jan 13 2005, 12:51 AM)
In the campaigns section I find the 73-rd only in july 1941. That means that it did not fight until that date?

Thank you,

Barbosu

Yes. From what I understand, the 73rd initially used the P.23Bs as trainers and it was not intended to use them in combat, but because the front needed more aircraft they eventually ended up flying these aircraft in combat and even achieved some notable successes.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Barbosu
Posted: January 19, 2005 02:02 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

I need your help again, please.

1. Does anybody has info on 5th BG before '43? (Pilot rosters if I am lucky!) As I know, in '41-'42 5th BG was famous flying on He 111 H3.

2. Or anything about Flotila 1 bombardament Brasov in '41 and '42 campaigns

3. Where can I buy Sorin Tulea's book (Amintiri din razboaie neterminate - Memories of unfinished wars)?

4. Did you ever had a topic on "Mircea Cantacuzino" school? A lot of good war pilots were there first, like Buzu Cantacuzino, Sorin Tulea, Mariana Dragescu and almost entire White Squadron, also other pilot heroes of Romanian aviation with international records and raids. Unfortunately, I have only few info on this school.
My interest is obvious as Chifulescu was instructor at this school.
If there was no topic on this, I'll start one if it's ok with you, admins. Thanks.

I know only what he did in war in 43-44. Nothing about him before august '43 or after september '44.

Many thanks everybody
Barbosu

PS.
I red Dan Stoian 's book (Pumnul tarii - The fist of the country) since I have not posted on this topic.

Chifulescu is mentioned by Stoian:

as Victor already posted, there were two difficult situations in which he proved his experience, skills and courage, once saving both the plane and creww and another time saving his crew.

Chifulescu was decorated with Virtutea aeronautica, Iron Cross (cl II) and Coroana Romaniei. Maybe he had other decorations before 1943, when Stoian came to the 5'th BG.

He was at least 15 years older than Stoian and probably he was not among Stoian closest friends so he is not in a single photo in the book. I hope I will receive in a few days some photos of him.

This post has been edited by Barbosu on January 19, 2005 02:06 pm
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: January 19, 2005 08:04 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

He wasn't in the 5th Bomber Group or the 73rd Bomber Squadron during 1941. As I siad before, try to locate his flight books, which will answer all your questions.
Barbosu
Posted: February 16, 2005 11:12 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Hi everyone. Long time no see. Happy to write again on the forum.

tongue.gif Alex, remember you said Chifulescu should be decorated by the parachute maker because of his many jumps for his life?

laugh.gif I found in a book that he was the first Romanian pilot to jump with the parachute to save his life, in 1928, when his SPADE fighter burst into flames. (According to Denes, he was flying a Nieuport in 1928, when the accident occured).

Well, I bought - not so enthusiast - a book I was almost 100% sure I'll never find something on him in it. But, in general, the book could be another source on the history of Romanian aviation. Now the more I read it the more I apreciate the work of comandor ® Aurel Pruia, comandor ® Ioan Morariu and ing. av. Bogdan Pruia.

The book is "A century of Romanian Aeronautics" (Un secol de aeronautica romaneasca - 1999). In fact the book is a timeline pointing events in the history of Romanian aviation, with short stories on each event.

PS PLEASE, Anyone knows WHERE I CAN FIND SORIN TULEA'S BOOK? (Amintiri din razboaie neterminate - Memories from unfinished wars)

PMEmail Poster
alexkdl
Posted: February 16, 2005 11:43 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 373

Barbosu

Yes indeed...I said so provided that the bailling out crew or pilot used British chutes....since WWII and as of date of today, MARTIN BAKER AIRCRAFT manufacturer of the ejection seats of modern military jets and in WWII manufacturer of emergency seat type parachutes as well escape chute would award any airman who used the chute for saving his life a golden silk worm pin...featuring the silk warm from which the canopies fabric were made of in wwii...if your uncles jumpped out of a UK manufactered aircraft ,I presume there was UK parachute used on board, so he had one or would be entitled for one if he didnt claim it ...otherwise it would be a German type.......which won't entitle him for the MB award ...I hope you will locate some photos and medals of your uncles and post some photos on here

Best Regards
Alex

This post has been edited by alexkdl on February 16, 2005 11:46 pm
PM
Dénes
Posted: February 17, 2005 03:38 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Barbosu @ Feb 17 2005, 05:12 AM)
I found in a book that he was the first Romanian pilot to jump with the parachute to save his life, in 1928, when his SPADE fighter burst into flames. (According to Denes, he was flying a Nieuport in 1928, when the accident occured).

Actually, in my files it is mentioned that Plut. av. Florin Chifulescu used his parachute twice in 1928, that could be the source of discrepancy.

BTW, the book you mentioned is full with errors, so I wouldn't consider it as a very reliable source.

Gen. Dénes
C-2
Posted: October 05, 2005 06:00 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

user posted image
Florea Chifulescu on the right.
Courtesy Dr Serban Dutescu.

Acording to Sorin Tulea,Chifulescu's bomber (Los) lost bouth eangines,and landed on the "mosie" of a rich "Boier".The bOier had a very "special" dauther .
Chifulescu married her....
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: October 05, 2005 06:02 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Acording to Sorin Tulea's book,
Once Chifulescu took a young student as a pasanger.
The student was crazy,and wanted to commit suicide because of some girl...
As a resuld,the student died ,the plane was total lost and Chifulescu broke bouth legs.
PMUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: October 09, 2005 09:01 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (C-2 @ Oct 5 2005, 07:02 PM)
Acording to Sorin Tulea's book,
Once Chifulescu took a young student as a pasanger.
The student was crazy,and wanted to commit suicide because of some girl...
As a resuld,the student died ,the plane was total lost and Chifulescu broke bouth legs.

QUOTE (Dénes @ Jan 9 2005, 06:44 PM)
May-1931 DH-60 Moth+  plut. Florea Chifulescu, (pasager mort)+ Baneasa a/f acc. Av. intrat in vrie la joasa inaltime, cazut

Could it be one and the same incident?
PM
Dénes
Posted: October 09, 2005 02:18 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Could very well be. Nice catch.
I will be able to tell you more as soon as I'll have the chance to read Tulea's book.

Gen. Dénes
C-2
Posted: October 09, 2005 03:00 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Chifulescu ,had a lot of luck;
When the student blocked the controls and went into a dive,Chifulescu took a fire extinctor,and gave him a blow to the head.The crazy guy went unconstient and Chifulescu was able to stop the sharp dive,but not totaly....
We all know the resulkts.
It was a very interesting person that Chifulescu.
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: October 09, 2005 06:11 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

user posted image
A better photo with Virgil Chifulescu.
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: January 04, 2006 07:25 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

On the way back from a bombing mission,Virgil Chifulescu's plane (Karas?) got into serios problems,and had to make a force landing.
He landed in a certain "Mosie",where the "Boier" had a very beautiful and special dauther.
In very short time,VC married her...
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: January 04, 2006 08:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Not Karas (P.23), but Los (P.37)
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0498 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]