Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Panzerfausts in the Romanian Armed Forces ?
Geto-Dacul
Posted: August 02, 2003 11:43 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

I saw a pic of a Romanian soldier having a panzerfaust in the snow, somewhere in Czechoslovakia, early 1945... Did the Romanians had any panzerfausts during the year 1944?
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: August 03, 2003 01:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The first AT rockets were imported in late 1943. Each platoon had several men trained as tank-hunters. The team was formed from a destroyer and a lookout. They also used Soviet AT rifles (there was even a project to build a Romanian one), but obviously the AT rockets were much more efficient.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Geto-Dacul
Posted: August 03, 2003 03:59 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

How effective was a panzerfaust against, let's say a T-34/85? I heard that the panzerfaust had 66% chances of destroying a tank... Is it true? Are there any records of Romanian soldiers using panzerfausts against Soviet tanks, during the Iasi-Chisinau campaign?
PMUsers Website
luer
Posted: August 03, 2003 06:38 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 59

G-D, maybe you know it already, but this is the most comprehensive site on German AT-weapons:

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust.htm

The PzF's on your photograph were probably PzF#s30, klein (small), the soldier is happily eating some bread ? These nust have been also the first ones delivered to Romania, and they had a range of 30 m. SO, still, the tank had to be goddamn close. When you hit, and the warhead hit with the correct angle (shaped charge warhead), you had a very good chance of penetrating the T-34's armour. So, 66% might be correct once you fired, but the chance to fire (and not loosing your nerves too early) was way lower.

L.
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: August 03, 2003 07:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

How effective was a panzerfaust against, let's say a T-34/85? I heard that the panzerfaust had 66% chances of destroying a tank... Is it true? Are there any records of Romanian soldiers using panzerfausts against Soviet tanks, during the Iasi-Chisinau campaign?

I remember a mention of a soldier from the 3rd (or was it the 4th?) Motorized Vanatori Regiment knocking out two Soviet tanks (most likely T-34s) on 20 August.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
C-2
Posted: August 03, 2003 07:17 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

An uncle of mine was one of the first Romanian soldiers who fired a Panzerfaust.Not in combat but as a demonstration (he was a training oficer).He told me more than 10 years ago ,that he fired on a captured Russian tank ,from less than 30m and blew the turret.
A few weeks ago I asked him again about the this demo(I was interested about the tipe of the tank and more details)but he would't remember(or didn't wanted to remember(he's 89).I'll tray again....
PMUsers Website
PanzerKing
Posted: August 03, 2003 08:21 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

There's no doubt that if you hit a T-34/85 at close range it will be destroyed or extrely disabled. The effective range was 100 meters, so if you fire point blank (like street and city fighting) those poor blokes don't stand a chance.
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
luer
Posted: August 03, 2003 08:45 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I am not sure if we talk about the same weapons here. The Panzerfaust delivered to Romania were of the 30, klein, 30 and maybe of the 60 type, so they had effective ranges of 30 and 60 m respectively (give or take a little). The PzF100 was only in production after August 44.

The Panzerschreck, or Raketenpanzerbüchse 54 had an effective (=decent hit chance) range of ca. 100 to 125 m (max range 200).

But, both weapons worked with the shaped charge principle, rather burning a hole into the tank with a plasma jet than working with momentum.

That implies two things: the effectiveness of the weapon is not affected by the distance you fire from, it does not make a difference for the armour penetration if you fire from point blank or 200 m away.

Also, it seems unlikely that you can blow away a turret of a big tank with a weapon like that. The projectiles were flying very very slow.

But something I really would like to know: did Romania receive RPzB54 from Germany ? My sources state differnt things here and remain blurry.

Luer.
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: August 03, 2003 09:04 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

I don't know the tipe of the tank that was used as a target and I don't know what he ment by"blowing the turret".I'm curious too.
If I remember corectly Iwas told that the proiectil hit the tank"under the turret".Si i-a smuls turela(couldn't translet that).
I'll try to get more inf.tomorow.
PMUsers Website
inahurry
Posted: August 04, 2003 12:37 am
Quote Post

Sergent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

I don't know the tipe of the tank that was used as a target and I don't know what he ment by\"blowing the turret\".I'm curious too.
If I remember corectly Iwas told that the proiectil hit the tank\"under the turret\".Si i-a smuls turela(couldn't translet that).
I'll try to get more inf.tomorow.

Maybe plucked the turret will do. Anyway, means detaching it from the chassis and throwing it away, possibly leaving it structurally intact.
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: August 04, 2003 02:01 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

luer wrote :

G-D, maybe you know it already, but this is the most comprehensive site on German AT-weapons:  

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust.htm  

Yes, very interesting page, indeed! Thanks!

The PzF's on your photograph were probably PzF#s30, klein (small), the soldier is happily eating some bread ?

I do not remember the soldier eating something, but I'm nearly sure that he had a PzF-30.
PMUsers Website
luer
Posted: August 04, 2003 10:10 am
Quote Post

Soldat

by 45, most romanian pzf will have been captured ones, so all kinds and types seem likely.

and c-2, I did not want to question anything your grandfather told you, just to make that clear.

But I know how hard it is to get hard info out of grandfathers - from my own. I can show him 4 pictures of armoured cars on 4 different days and he will say "yes, that's the one we drove in.....hmm, or not ?" ....

plucked away might be, especially if it was a smaller tank.

cheers
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: August 04, 2003 08:26 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Could not talk to my uncle but I foud a veteran named Alexandru Sitaru ,who was a head of an anti tank batalion.
He talked a lot and in small details about two AT weapons used by him:
-The FAUSTPTRONNE(1944) which was fired from9-15m!!!!!! and could penetrate an armour 5-7 cm deep.was fired from an 80 cm tube.
-The OFFENROHN(I'm not so sure the name is correct-I was talking on the phone),which was fired from a tube of 12 cm diam.an 1.5 m long it was recoiless and was used from a distance of 15-17 m and could penetreit 5-7 cm .
I even got a picture by a "special messeger".
AS has a lot of details about the use of those weapons but I didn't get eny information about a "meeting" between those weapons and a T-34.....
PMUsers Website
Geto-Dacul
Posted: August 05, 2003 01:36 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Are their any cases of soldiers destroying Joseph Stalins (IS-2) with Panzerfausts?
PMUsers Website
Csaba Becze
Posted: August 05, 2003 04:12 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 54

The Panzerschreck was the "Ofenrohr" (means: stove pipe) Some IS-2 was knocked out by Panzerschrecks.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0316 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]