Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Simulated dog-fights, firghters from ww2
Iamandi
Posted: December 24, 2004 10:39 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

Any information about this type of trainings?
I think all countryes do that. Romania for example, had different types of fighter planes. I read some lines about that - simulated dog - fights, between Me-109 E and IAR 80, in another topic. Nothing more. But, how performed different type of planes, one against other?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: December 24, 2004 10:49 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

How was IAR 80 vs. Hawker Hurricane?

Maybe this is easy. Some had acces to romanian documentations, vet's, etc.

But - PZL 24 vs Avia B-534 on Bulgarian Air Force?

Or, back to more easy - romanian fighters against captured soviet ones?

And harder again, german planes vs. captured?

Anyone known some?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: January 09, 2005 08:52 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

I found some interesting things:

"Of course, the P-40s were better than the I-16 and the Hurricane. After the first flight, I said to myself, “Well, Kolya, finally they have given you a modern fighter.”
The cockpit was roomy and elevated. At first, it was discomforting, waist-high in glass. The edge of the fuselage came almost to the level of my waist. The bullet-proof glass and armored seat were well-built.
Visibility was good, especially in the Kittyhawk, which had a bubble-shaped canopy. The canopy moved in an interesting way—by the rotation of a special handle. It did have an emergency jettison capability."

"I say again, the P-40 significantly outclassed the Hurricane, and it was far and away above the I-16.
Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943. If you take into consideration all the tactical and technical characteristics of the P-40, then the Tomahawk was equal to the Bf-109F and the Kittyhawk was slightly better.
Its speed and vertical and horizontal maneuver were good. It was fully competitive with enemy aircraft.
As for acceleration, the P-40 was a bit heavy, but when one had adjusted to the engine, it was normal.
When the later types Bf-109G and FW-190 appeared, the P-40 Kittyhawk became somewhat dated, but not by much. An experienced pilot could fight an equal fight with it.
I flew somewhere around 50 combat sorties and participated in 10—12 aerial engagements in the P-40. Then the regiment became the next in line to replace its equipment—for the P-39 Airacobra."

Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov - 7 downed german aircrafts.

airforce.ru

Iama

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: February 02, 2005 08:51 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Dewoitine Vs. Bf 109 concluded on 4/21/40 with a captured Bf 109E3, the Bf109 was 20 mph faster due to the higher power of its engine, but the D.520 had superior maneuverability and handling.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0427 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]