Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (105) « First ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tidal Wave Footage Photos, 15th AAF and Luftwaffe, 'Black Sunday', 1 August 1943
Dénes
Posted: February 22, 2005 04:58 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Currently on eBay a photograph depicting a 376th Bomb Group B-24D Liberator just after its return from Operation Tidal Wave.

Gen. Dénes

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
alexkdl
Posted: February 22, 2005 09:36 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 373

Thanks fpr posting it Denes

Alex
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 23, 2005 11:24 am
Quote Post

Group Icon

To ALL TW readers

While on M.Hill " BLACK SUNDAY " was indicated that the entire crew of MATERNITY WARD has perished while crashing into the Ionian Sea ....both pilots have survived the crash, were transffered after a while to Saloniki to the German SS given British uniforms from captive British soldiers and put on a train to Frankfurt for STALAG LUFT III in SAGAN Poland 160 KM from Berlin

If you remember the film THE GRET ESCAPE with Steve McQueen produced by Holywood on the 60's ...thats the place based on which the film reconstructed this great escape, that's the place both pilots spend the rest of the war at .

For the next 2 years the 2 pilots of MATERNITY WARD lived through every kind of hardship associated with POW detention in Germany ...hunger, freezing, marches in the dead of winter ,sickness , fear and anexity and were not as fortunate as the other TW prisoners who enjoyed a good treatment in Rumania .

The strength of these two man endured however and when Allied Forces invaded Germany and liberated the camps Lt.John Vernon Ward and Lt.Andrew Anderson were free men and weeks later put foot on American soil again

Bellow , Lt Andrew Anderson CPLT of the MATERNITY WARD photographed at the STALAG LUFT III ( on the left) ...from the book Final Flight of Maternity Ward by M.M.Aronowitz

To my US TW friends...what happened to both pilots in due course of the years ?

This post has been edited by alexkdl on February 24, 2005 04:40 pm

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 23, 2005 01:00 pm
Quote Post

Group Icon

Alex ,

Hi I am Rick Brower and I knew Lt Anderson family, I think Andrew is still alive and while I wasn't yet in contact with you regarding the TW Forum I need to thank you for posting the stuff about Andrew. I may be able to get you post WWII photos of Andrew but that will take a while.

On an other context I love the Great Escape, do you by chance know who was the US POW escapee Steve McQueen was playing on that picture at Luft Stalag III camp ? I remember his Harely bike ride near Swiss border .

Rich.Brower
Pompton Lakes, NJ
USA
=================================================

Dick

Thanks for your message, any info you can send me on the post WWII destinity of Andrew and Lt Ward will be greatly appreciated, my yahoo TW mates didn't either.

Ultimately I am sorry but I can not tell you whos US escapee of Luftstalag III Steve was its counterpart ....

However attached is a photo of Steve Mcqueen I've got many years ago from him personally while he flew on my DC-9-50 , the photo was taken in Bavaria during the production ( an not near Swiss border as many commonly were thinking of ) while he worn this Whermacht uniform on his last escape attempt....In reality I don't think that none of the escapees ever reached Swiss borders.....and some of the identities played on this motion picture are fictious. Also the life at Luft STALAG III was anything but as portrayed at the GREAT ESCAPE because unlike the motion picture they POW's had serious problems with food supplies and many didnt even live in barracks but tenths ( see the photo above) .....nevertheless long live Holywood .

Alex

This post has been edited by alexkdl on February 24, 2005 04:39 pm

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 23, 2005 02:08 pm
Quote Post

Group Icon

Dick

here is one more photo I found at Ebay on the GREAT ESCAPE motion picture from Luftstalag III where Lt Ward and Lt Anderson spent their captivity,depicting Steve on a unknown type of of motocycle ( not Harley)

Alex

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Victor
Posted: February 24, 2005 04:07 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

oldbludgeon,
unless your name isn't John L. Frisbee, I expect you to provide the source of the article you posted in this thread. I have edited the post to include the url to the Air Force Association site, where the article was originally published.
emanoil
Posted: February 27, 2005 06:12 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (alexkdl @ Dec 7 2004, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (C-2 @ Dec 7 2004, 07:50 PM)
I saw some time ago,at Medin Robanescu's office,a great T.wave photo:
A B 24 who made a belly landing and somehow stall at some moment and got his nose into the muddy groung and his tail up.Big as a house!.

Here are some more footages of Ploesti Tidal Wave

Are you sure that this photo represent a B24 D?
QUOTE=C-2,Dec 7 2004, 07:50 PM] I saw some time ago,at Medin Robanescu's office,a great T.wave photo:
A B 24 who made a belly landing and somehow stall at some moment and got his nose into the muddy groung and his tail up.Big as a house!. [/QUOTE]
Here are some more footages of Ploesti Tidal Wave
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: February 27, 2005 06:42 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Cannot be 100% sure.
It was a wreck..
PMUsers Website
alexkdl
Posted: March 01, 2005 12:45 am
Quote Post

Group Icon

The book called WING AND A PRAYER of the pilot of the UTAH MAN is on its way to me from the US ( this book has been out of print for quite a while) its promises a lot of yet unseen TW photos

Alex
PM
Dénes
Posted: March 01, 2005 08:20 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Has anyone read this book? Is it related to the Tidal Wave?

user posted image

Gen. Dénes
alexkdl
Posted: March 01, 2005 09:42 pm
Quote Post

Group Icon

Denes

On previous messages I posted info from this book about Col.Gunn...me and Dan have this book

Alex
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 03, 2005 10:33 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Member No.: 144

Hi all,
i received yesterday the permission to post more pictures with 1/48 scale model of Boiler Maker II in ARR service - Liberator I. The model builder is Cornel Nastase.
The model is now at National History Museum in Bucharest.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 03, 2005 10:34 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Hi all,
i received yesterday the permission to post more pictures with 1/48 scale model of Boiler Maker II in ARR service - Liberator I. The model builder is Cornel Nastase.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 03, 2005 10:35 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Hi all,

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: March 03, 2005 10:36 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Hi all,

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (105) « First ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0709 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]