Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian monuments in Hungary, Checz and Slovak Republics
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 07:58 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Cemetery of Romanian soldiers in Zvolen (source: http://www.zvolen.sk/en/)

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos03
Posted: April 14, 2005 01:19 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

Regarding German graveyards in Romania: every Saxon town or village in Transilvania has a cemetery near the church with monuments with the lists of all the locals who died in both wars in the German, Romanian or Hungarian armies.
There are also many WW1 cemeteries scattered around the country with German and Austro-Hungarian tombs. For example: near the Peles castle there is a graveyard with Romanians, Germans and Austro-Hungarians who died in the area.
PM
mabadesc
Posted: April 14, 2005 05:56 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

near the Peles castle there is a graveyard with Romanians, Germans and Austro-Hungarians who died in the area.

I think I know what graveyard you're talking about. It has two WWI-era cannons in front of it, and it's located just in front of a road's steep curve (a turn).

Are all graves there from WWI or from other wars as well?
Also, I didn't know there were any battles around Sinaia during WWI.
What else do you know about that graveyard, Dragos03?
PM
dragos03
Posted: April 14, 2005 06:21 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Yes, that's the one. All the graves are from WW1, i think. Heavy battles were fought in the area, the Germans were trying to break the front towards the Ploiesti area. Fierce fighting took place when Romanian units tried to prevent the enemy from capturing the royal palace, they didn't succed and the frontline was established somewhere south of Sinaia. Eventually, the German attack was held and Romanian units only retreated after the Carpathian line was breached in the Jiu valley and they were in danger of being surrounded. There are other WW1 graveyards all over the Prahova valley, the Caraiman cross is also dedicated to the soldiers who died in the area.

There is also a Turkish military graveyard in Bucharest, Turkish soldiers who died in Romania during WW1 may also be buried there.

I saw some RAF crewmen buried in the Comana monastery, South of Bucharest.
PM
Cristian
Posted: April 14, 2005 06:34 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

And there is a stone with names of american ww2 pilots. I was there with some american friends and they were surprised to see that stone there(on the left side of the cemetery)
PMEmail Poster
Danut
Posted: June 04, 2005 05:58 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 450

I worked a few years ago and I cheked all the monuments and the graveyards in Cluj county. I made pictures and notes almost three months about all this staff. I hade a lot of pepers. Unfortunatelly, a lot of monuments were in the bed conditions.( I remember the graveyards at Muntele Rece (Cold Mountain), where a lot of mountain troups were buried). Maybe today look different. I will be happy if this think happened!
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: June 04, 2005 06:04 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Hi Danut,

Can you share with us some of your research?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Danut
Posted: June 05, 2005 03:54 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 450

Hi Dragos,

Unfortunately all my work is in Romania. One copy is in Cluj at History Museum of Transilvania. But I'm not sure...Was 17-18 years ago, and I don't know if they keep all this documents. I live in US, and is hard for me to chek with somebody at Cluj. You may be sure Dragos, was a lot of work for me. I did this work with enthusiasm, and I don't think somebody before did something in this area. I was unhappy because I saw to many monuments in bed conditions. Maybe today the people take care more like 20 years ago.
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: June 18, 2005 11:43 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (dragos @ Apr 14 2005, 08:58 AM)
Cemetery of Romanian soldiers in Zvolen (source: http://www.zvolen.sk/en/)

user posted image

The Romanian Military Cemetery in Zvolen (Slovakia) has recently been subjected to a 250,000 EUR facelift (source).

Also from the same source, the SNP (Slovak National Uprising) cemetery in Martin seems to be the resting place for some other Romanian soldiers fallen during WWII.
PM
Dénes
Posted: October 18, 2005 01:16 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Victor @ May 25 2004, 04:31 PM)
Here is a list with some cemeteries in Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria.

Hungary
Szarfold: 272

Off-topic: this is a perfect example why diacritical (accent) marks are necessary.
Szarföld means Land of Shit.
Szárföld means Land of the Harvested Wheat (where only the wheat's cut-off stems remain).
laugh.gif

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on October 18, 2005 02:37 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Zayets
Posted: October 19, 2005 11:43 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

laugh.gif
dragos03
Posted: November 14, 2005 08:39 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Editura Militara recently published an album, in Romanian and English, with information and pictures of the Romanian monuments and graveyards in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Even some individual graves are listed.

The PDF can be dowloaded from their site:
http://www.edituramilitara.ro/downloads/LO...DE%20GLORIE.pdf
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 08, 2005 03:28 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Here is a monument erected in memory of the Rumanian soldiers fallen at Biharnagybajom, Hungary, between October 8-15, 1944. It's located nearby a cornfield, on the top of a mass grave, adorned with fresh flowers. [Photo: Taszi - Roncskutatás]

Gen. Dénes

user posted image

This post has been edited by Dénes on December 08, 2005 03:29 pm
dragos
Posted: December 08, 2005 09:53 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Impressive shot.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: December 08, 2005 10:01 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

But the colours on the flowers circlet are red, white and green ?! huh.gif
Shouldn't be Romanian colours?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0311 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]