Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> English books on Romanian Aces, are there any?
Artur
Posted: November 11, 2004 07:54 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

Hello, I was very pleasantly surprised to find this great website and the forum for talking about ARR.
I did model an IAR 80 at one time and with Victor Nitu's help was able to put together a diorama and write about the pilot Ion Galea, here is the link, sorry if it loads long, it is on an almost defunct polish server.
http://www.old.modelarstwo.org.pl/lotnicze...r-80/index.html
Well, I am not writing the above to brag just to show my genuine interest and of course ask for help.
First of all I really love to know as much as possible about a particular pilot and therefore my main question is: Are there any English text books about or written by one of the major Romanian Aces? I especially like autobiographies or biographies written about the pilots by contemporary writers or writers of their era. I would really appreciate any help in this matter.
If there is such a book I would of course need it and then would build the Me 109G of that pilot.
If there is not then I want to build Bazu's Messerschmitt, probably G4 with white 24.

Artur Golebiewski

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: November 11, 2004 08:11 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

There is Denes Bernad's book "Rumanian Aces of WW2" published by Osprey this year.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
cipiamon
Posted: November 11, 2004 10:43 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 115

nice diorama!!!
PM
alexkdl
Posted: November 12, 2004 12:12 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 373

QUOTE (Artur @ Nov 11 2004, 07:54 PM)
Hello, I was very pleasantly surprised to find this great website and the forum for talking about ARR.
I did model an IAR 80 at one time and with Victor Nitu's help was able to put together a diorama and write about the pilot Ion Galea, here is the link, sorry if it loads long, it is on an almost defunct polish server.
http://www.old.modelarstwo.org.pl/lotnicze...r-80/index.html
Well, I am not writing the above to brag just to show my genuine interest and of course ask for help.
First of all I really love to know as much as possible about a particular pilot and therefore my main question is: Are there any English text books about or written by one of the major Romanian Aces? I especially like autobiographies or biographies written about the pilots by contemporary writers or writers of their era. I would really appreciate any help in this matter.
If there is such a book I would of course need it and then would build the Me 109G of that pilot.
If there is not then I want to build Bazu's Messerschmitt, probably G4 with white 24.

Artur Golebiewski

Gyndobre Arthur

I write you from Switzerland . I am not a real modeller just a former military pilot and currently an airline pilot. I had a lot of spare time this year which seems to be full of empty space as well to a lot of people in a lot of countries and I have been building a lot of WWII, German fighters, 8th Air Force Bombers and Fighters and Russians...I have looked so long to buy an IAR-80 model 1:48 or 1:32 ......with AAR marking where the heck can I find it and who sells it ? How did u paint your IAR 80 is it by a chance a spray gun or just hand painting?

Let me know at PLT767E@yahoo.com

THanks
Alex

PS : I was borned in Bucharest
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 12, 2004 02:16 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Bazu flew Bf-109 G-4 " white 24" for a short period in summer '43. It was not his regular mount. But with this particular plane in one day (16 august'43) shot down 3 soviet planes and 1 damaged. If you are interested i can give you photo with Bf 109G 4 " white 24".
Other regular bf 109 G's flown by Bazu were:
1. Bf 109 G 2 " white 4'' flown in summer '43. The camouflage was overall green with 22 vic. bars on his tail fin according to Lt.Dobran testimony. With this plane shot down 2 soviet Spitfire MkV .
2. Bf 109 G 4 " white A " ( written on the rudder) with 44 vic. bars on the fin. With this plane he won many victories between april- june '44.
3. Bf 109 G6 '' white 3" flown in summer '44. ( no picture found )
4. Bf 109 G6 " white 7'' at the end of august '44.( no picture found)
PM
Artur
Posted: November 14, 2004 03:23 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

If you are interested i can give you photo with Bf 109G 4 " white 24".

Yes indeed I would like that veru much, thank you.

Other regular bf 109 G's flown by Bazu were:
1. Bf 109 G 2 " white 4'' flown in summer '43. The camouflage was overall green with 22 vic. bars on his tail fin according to Lt.Dobran testimony. With this plane shot down 2 soviet Spitfire MkV .
Any pictures or profiles of that one?
2. Bf 109 G 4 " white A " ( written on the rudder) with 44 vic. bars on the fin. With this plane he won many victories between april- june '44.
That one I would particularly like to make as it appears to have been flown by him a lot, but in this case a picture would be essential especially because of the "A"

I really want to do a G2,4 or 6 of Bazu during the war, best would be a machine that he flew for a long time and one that is associated with him. White 24 is the only profile I was able to find so that constitutes my sole source. Pictures are so much better, even poor quality ones as they let you decide how to show a plane, without having to rely on profiles ( which are just someone else's interpretation, right? ).
Thank you again,
Artur
PMEmail Poster
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: November 14, 2004 04:56 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 53

Hello Artur,

Just passing by and i saw your message. If you want to make a plane that Bazu had, i can recomand you a nice kit by Hasegawa at 1:48. All the pieces are nice modeled and it is not very difficult to make (my big problem is the painting-- lack of airbrush) It's an Bf 109 G6 Erla canopy type red 2. In this plane he made it's last victory against a FW190 on 25 february 45 and, minutes after he and his wingman Darjan were written off by a german schwarm lead by Lipfert.

Also the kit has the decals for a no 13 plane pilot T Greceanu in summer 44

Yours,
Bm
PMMSN
Victor
Posted: November 14, 2004 07:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Artur, please use the [QUOTE] tags when replying, as it makes it easier for someone else to follow your message.

Btw, the IAR-80B no. 222 was of slt. av. Carol Anastasescu, not of Ioan Galea.
Artur
Posted: November 15, 2004 04:50 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Yes, Victor it was indeed Anastasecu who piloted 222 and he flew during Tidal Wave. It has been some time ago that you gave me that article and I forget for mixing up my Romanian pilots. I believe the plane was originally Ioan Galea, but then I repainted it to match your story.
As you see now I have come to another project involving Romanian pilots.
I believe some time back I got from you or someone else a link to a Romanian webpage that has all the aviation literature on it. Unfortunately I lost that link and now I just cannot Google it or find it in any other way. I remember there were some books in both Romanian and English about some of the pilots, perhaps another has been added to the list over the last five years?
I would really like to read a book about Bazu or Serbanescu.
Artur
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: November 15, 2004 08:28 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

I would really like to read a book about Bazu or Serbanescu.
Artur

Unfortunetly the only books about this two great pilots were romanian written. ( Modelism editor) But short description of the two romanian aces exploits was also published in english and french by other authors ( ex: Denes " WWII Romanian Aces" -Osprey editor).
PM
Bill
Posted: November 15, 2004 09:26 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 387

QUOTE (Bernard Miclescu @ Nov 14 2004, 04:56 PM)
Hello Artur,

Just passing by and i saw your message. If you want to make a plane that Bazu had, i can recomand you a nice kit by Hasegawa at 1:48. All the pieces are nice modeled and it is not very difficult to make (my big problem is the painting-- lack of airbrush) It's an Bf 109 G6 Erla canopy type red 2. In this plane he made it's last victory against a FW190 on 25 february 45 and, minutes after he and his wingman Darjan were written off by a german schwarm lead by Lipfert.

Also the kit has the decals for a no 13 plane pilot T Greceanu in summer 44

Yours,
Bm

Hello bernard,
Do you have additional information about the Bf 109 G6 "2red" flown by Bazu Cantacuzino, in that mission? The only information I was found is in Aeromagazin FARR supplement, and a photo in Mr. Denes Bernad book about Romanian aces.
The " Raport Operativ 176/25.02.1945" is specific about the pilot that flew this plane? What about the Bf 109 K 4 flown by Helmut Lipfert in that day? there are other informations about it?
I want to build the Hasegawa kit and I need additional information about that 2 red G6.
Thank you,
Bill biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: November 15, 2004 04:19 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Bill @ Nov 15 2004, 03:26 PM)
Do you have additional information about the Bf 109 G6 "2red" flown by Bazu Cantacuzino, in that mission? The only information I was found is in Aeromagazin FARR supplement, and a photo in Mr. Denes Bernad book about Romanian aces.

Besides the mentioned photo, on p. 64, there is a colour side view as well, No. 32, published on p. 46. What other information would you need on 'Red 2'?

What about the Bf 109 K 4 flown by Helmut Lipfert in that day? there are other informations about it?

Hptm. Lipfert did not fly a 'Kurfürst' that day, but rather a 'Gustav'.
For details, check out the book based on his memoirs.

Lt. Col. Dénes
Dénes
Posted: November 15, 2004 04:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Nov 15 2004, 02:28 PM)
short description of the two romanian aces exploits was also published in english and french by other authors ( ex: Denes " WWII Romanian Aces" -Osprey editor).

Short biographies of the four leading Rumanian fighter aces (Cantacuzino, Serbanescu, Milu and Vizanty) are indeed included in my book published by Osprey.

Lt. Col. Dénes
Artur
Posted: November 15, 2004 11:15 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

I know they are, I read them several times but my apetite for history makes me want more, more, more :-)
Well, perhaps in the age of computer publishing and translation software we can break that language barrier one of these years.
Artur
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0545 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]