Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian troops during battle of Budapest 1944-45, I need help
mabadesc
Posted: June 27, 2005 02:15 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

I found a book in a bookstore named "The Siege of Budapest". I didn't take down the name of the authors, but it was written by 2 Hungarian historians.

I looked at the alphabetical index at the end of the book - there was no mention of the Romanian Army or anything related to Romania at all. Same thing throughout the book, including maps, although I didn't look at it too closely.
PM
Dénes
Posted: June 27, 2005 02:41 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Victor @ Jun 26 2005, 12:30 AM)
Operation Budapest started in 29 October 1944 and the 7th Cops was involved also in the fights in the city's outskirts, not only inside it.

Just a small correction. 'Operation Budapest', which started at the end of October, was launched from the Tisza River's line, rather far away frmo the Hungarian capital.
The aforementioned 10K+ losses of C7A were counted from that date and position.

If anyone is interested, I can upload the map showing the first stage of the operation.

Mabadesc, the activity of Rumanian troops in the siege of Budapest in 1944/1945 is not well known in Hungary, even in academic circles. That's why my study hopefully fills a void in this respect.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
petru
Posted: July 22, 2005 02:09 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

Krisztian Ungvary "The siege of Budapest" (printed 2005). The original English edition of this book is entitled Battle for Budapest: 100 Days in World War II and was published by I. B. Tauris & Co Ltd.

Pretty good work. It reminds me of the books of David Glantz. However the author uses mostly Hungarian and German sources, and very few soviet sources (and no romanian sources). One could find a picture with gen. Sova that was posted on the forum in a previous thread. It is taken in the streets of Pesta and depitcs a romanian loading a morter, while gen Sova is standing behind him. The caption of the figure has the same error as the one posted on the formum

"Lieutenant-Colonel (sic!) Nicolae Sova, commander of the Romanian 7th Army Corps (far left) with his soldiers in central Budapest"

I will put some paragraphs regarding the romanian 7th corp a little later.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

This post has been edited by petru on July 22, 2005 02:10 pm
PM
petru
Posted: July 22, 2005 02:37 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

The Romanian 2nd and 19th Infantry Divisions captured Pecel and Kistarcsa and reached the edge of the eastern suburb of Cinkota, where extremely heavy fighting ensued. After three assaoults Cinkota was finally occupied during the night of 29-30 December, but the Romanian 2nd Infantry Division was so worn out that it had to be withdrawn from the front at once.

By 3 January heavy engagements had reduced the combat strength of the Hungarian 12th Reserve Division to between 10 and 25 men in each battalion, and on that day alone 307 Hungarians were taken prisoner by the Romanians. Despite repeated German and Hungarian attempts to drive them back across the Rakos stream, the Soviet continued to widen their salient. To secure their position, they redeployed the exhausted Romanian 2nd Div., which had been redrawn two days earlier.

8 January

At Rakosrenezo Station, west of Pestujhely, more significant breakthroughs followed. Units of the 7th Romanian Army Corps attacked the post office’s vehicle depot in Egressy Road and by the evening, in hand to hand fighting, had taken the post office building.

9 January

Nearby, the Romanian 7th Army Corps, having captured the Racecourse, crossed Hungaria Boulevard at the Kerepesi Road junction.

12 January

Although the front line had moved toward the west three days earlier, it was only now that the Romanian 7th Army Corps managed to capture the Ferenc Josef barracks between Kerepesi Blvd. and Hungaria blvd., which each room being fought so fiercely that in one of the attacking company all officers and NCOs were killed.

The capture of Pest being only days away, Malinovsky ordered the Romanian 7th Army Corps-which had reached the Great Boulevard after loosing 23,000 dead, wounded, and missing (more than 60% of its strength) since October-to the front in northern Hungary. Although the real reson was that he did not want to share the victory with the Romanians, he claimed that he responding to requests from the Romanian general staff. The Romanian commander, General Nicolae Sova, reluctantly obeyed but nevertheless dismissed on 7 February for “insubordination” and, after the communist takeover of Romania, was sentenced to ten years’ hard labor in Siberia.

From Krisztian Ungvary " the siege of Budapest"
PM
SiG
Posted: October 31, 2005 08:36 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 616

QUOTE (Dénes @ Jun 27 2005, 02:41 PM)
If anyone is interested, I can upload the map showing the first stage of the operation.

I would be interested in seeing this map.
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: September 02, 2021 07:20 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

The 7th Army Corps (rom) in Budapest.
Source https://historyrussia.org/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwWz7QI58U...iew?usp=sharing

This post has been edited by Petre on September 02, 2021 07:39 am
PMEmail Poster
adicontakt
Posted: September 06, 2021 04:12 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3322

Great , like always , Petre
Many thanks
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: September 10, 2021 02:15 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Great document. Many thanks, Petre!
If you will find a continuation of this topic, please share it with us.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Petre
Posted: September 12, 2021 05:17 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Liberation of Europe.

Report of rom. 7th Army Corps about fighting actions, night of 1/2 dec. 1944
2 dec. 1944.
1. În cursul noptii 1/2.12.44. slabe actiuni ale focului infanteriei de ambele parti. Artileria inamicului a actionat pe sectoarele Div.2 inf si Div.9 cav, mai ales în a doua parte a noptii. Câteva lovituri de artilerie grea a inamicului asupra noastra dinspre Vacszentlaszlo.
2. Unitatile noastre au mentinut permanent contactul cu inamicul prin actiuni de cercetare.
3. Pierderi si trofee.
- Div.2 inf = 1 sdt ranit; capturati 8 prizonieri din R.18 inf hu.
- Div.9 cav = 2 sld raniti; capturati 2 prizonieri din R.6 inf hu.
Col. (?)Serb (semnat)
ZAMO RF, Fond 341, Opis 5312, Dosar 578, p. 140.

This post has been edited by Petre on September 12, 2021 05:18 am
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: October 21, 2021 04:28 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Order of CO, 2. Ukr. Front for CO, 1 Rom Army and Group Budapest
15 ian. 1945.
Comandantul Frontului a ordonat :
1. În scopul pregatirii reunirii în mâinile Cd-tului A.1 rom a C. 4 si 7 A rom, în noaptea de 16.1.45 C.7 A rom se scoate în raionul Mohora, Legend, Amio-szap(?), Szanda, unde se va concentra în dimineata de 18.1.45.
Deplasarea - pe ruta Kerepes, Szada, Galamacsa, Acsa, Galgaguta.
2. Div.10 inf în dimineata 19.1.45 se concentreaza tot în acelas raion, unde finalizeaza actiunea de reformare(?).
3. St.maj A.1 rom în dimineata de 18.1.45 se instaleaza la Seceni (Szecsenke?) si stabileste legatura cu Cdt. A.27 (sov) – Salgotarjan.
4. Ordinul pentru reunirea C. 4 si 7 A rom va fi dat suplimentar.
5. Raportati de primire si executare.
(Sef St.maj) M. Zaharov
TzAMO RF, Fond 341, Opis 5312, Dosar 854, p. 141.

This post has been edited by Petre on October 21, 2021 04:34 am
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0490 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]