Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Soviet counterattack near the River Pruth on 29 June, 1941.
Csaba Becze
Posted: July 30, 2003 12:33 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

On this day a Hungarian Caproni bomber claimed to destroyed a bridge over the Pruth in Lemberg-Czernowitz road, 50 km SE of Kolomea, to set back a Soviet counterattack. I think, it was in the Rumanian Army's sector. Anybody have some details about this counterattack and the fate of this bridge?

Thanks,

Csaba
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 30, 2003 01:56 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

50 km SE of Kolomea was well inside the USSR borders (just west of Chernovtsy). The bulk of the Rumanian Army did not cross River Pruth into Northern Bukovina until July 2, 1941; therefore, those Axis troops must had been Germans.

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Csaba Becze
Posted: August 01, 2003 12:43 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 54

Ok, thanks, plutonier adjutant Dénes smile.gif

P.S. you have a very fast career in Rumanian Army :wink:
PM
Michi
Posted: August 25, 2003 08:27 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 49

Is there any link between your mentiones Russian counter-attack, and the Russian attach to Chilia Veche??
There are 3 days difference (29th June & 26th June)

The three battalions of the Romanian Marine Regiment guarded the Danube Delta. The regiment was comparatively recently formed and was poorly equipped with obsolete weapons surplus to army requirements. The Soviet Danube Flotilla would have to pass the positions of its 15th Battalion at Chilia Veche and its 17th Battalion at Periprava if it was to secure its retreat to the Black Sea. On 26 June, in their only successful attack on to Axis soil in 1941, the Soviets crossed the Danube and enveloped Chilia Veche.
15th Battalion was ill prepared, as it had no artillery capable of penetrating the armour of the Soviet gunboats and many of its positions had been flooded by an unusual rise in the Danube. Most of the battalion was wiped out. The Soviets tried to follow up with an assault on Periprava, but 17th Battalion had some 47mm AT guns and they were thrown back. This repulse was significant because, when the Soviet Danube Flotilla finally withdrew on 11/12 July, it had to pass under the guns at Periprava. While the armoured gunboats attacked Periprava, the larger monitors passed behind them under cover of smoke and escaped along the coast to Odessa. The Soviets are believed to have lost four gunboats, including BKA-111, BKA-113 and BKA-134.

MfG Michi

This post has been edited by Michi on August 25, 2006 04:24 am
PM
Victor
Posted: August 26, 2003 07:57 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

The attack at Chiliawas linked most likely with the Soviet naval action the same day. It was probably a bigger planto strike in Dobruja, but it was abandoned after the real strength of the defense was evaluated.
Florin
Posted: September 30, 2003 03:24 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

[quote]Ok, thanks, plutonier adjutant Dénes smile.gif

P.S. you have a very fast career in Rumanian Army :wink:[/quote]

This shows that in the Romanian Army the individual value was always more important than to what minority do you belong.
PM
Dénes
Posted: September 30, 2003 04:11 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

With leaders like our Moderator and Administrator, it's a piece of cake. laugh.gif

However, in the real Rumanian 'People's Democratic' Army, my lacklustre career ended as Sergent major, although most of my colleagues were promoted by office to Sublocotenent (2nd Lt.). My company commander, Lt. Datcu, especially did not like me and gave me lots of trouble. I'm wondering where is he now? Still an "Apv-ist"? Now, as a Major, I'd love to order him: "culcat!"

Dénes
Florin
Posted: October 01, 2003 03:19 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

...However, in the real Rumanian 'People's Democratic' Army, my lacklustre career ended as Sergent major, although most of my colleagues were promoted by office to Sublocotenent (2nd Lt.). My company commander, Lt. Datcu, especially did not like me and gave me lots of trouble. I'm wondering where is he now? Still an \"Apv-ist\"? Now, as a Major, I'd love to order him: \"culcat!\"

Dénes

Hi Denes,

I used the word "always" in my post just to force your reaction. It seems it worked.
I gave to the Romanian Army 9 months of my life, before University, and 2 weeks after it. I cannot say it was a pleasure, generally speaking. This being said, many people suffer in a way or another, more or less, sooner or later, during a military service.
As usually it is happening, when you belong to a minority, it is easy to think that what you are suffering is because you belong to that minority.
I had 4 Hungarian "comrades" in my battalion, and I sincerely do not remember that they suffered in any way more than the Romanians or the Germans around. I also remember situations when some of these 4 Hungarians were punished, but that happened to a whole group being in the same situation, and the rest of the group were Romanians.
Well, I made this effort to write knowing that you'll not be convinced at the end of it.
Regards,
Florin
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0712 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]