Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hitler's plan for Post-War Transylvania
mabadesc
Posted: May 17, 2004 07:31 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

In July 1940, the Romanian Military Statistical Bureau in Cluj issued a counter-intelligence report to the General Chief of Staff. The report, which was issued periodically, included various facts, such as the mood of the Romanian population, of the different minorities (hungarian, german), rumors being circulated, incidents, etc...

The report mentions a rumor widely spread among the population regarding Germany's post-war plans for Transylvania.
According to this report, Hitler intended to unite Transylvania, Crisana, Banat, and a portion of Serbian Banat and form an independent state operating in a similar fashion to Switzerland.
This newly formed country was going to enjoy Germany's protection, and the German minority in its population would be the leading class, occupying high-ranking governmental positions.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this and if this plan was a certainty or just one of Hitler's passing ideas.
PM
^All^
Posted: September 26, 2004 01:14 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 344

I live in Crisana but I haven't heard of such a thing among the local elders. I think that this is just a roumor or a made up story.
Best regards.
PMYahoo
mabadesc
Posted: September 27, 2004 05:18 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

I think that this is just a roumor or a made up story.

It's definitely not a made up story. I took it from a 1940 communique found in the book:

Armata Romana de la Ultimatum la Dictat

Documente. Vol. I, II, III

Anul 1940

Autori: Florica Dobre, Vasilica Manea, Lenuta Nicolescu

It was reported as a widespread rumor present in all of Transylvania, especially among the German minority in Transylvania.

Since it's not proven, yes, of course it remains a rumor, but it did have some grounds to it. BTW, I've read about this same plan in a different book.

Regards.

This post has been edited by mabadesc on September 27, 2004 05:20 pm
PM
^All^
Posted: October 20, 2004 07:07 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 344

Aha...Well I'll try to ask around and see if I cand find some answers.
PMYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0237 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]