Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Knights of the Order of Michael the Brave
Carol I
Posted: July 04, 2004 11:32 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

I have found these photos from a celebration of the Day of the Order of Michael the Brave (8 November - the feast of Sts. Michael and Gabriel) when the surviving knights of the order were invited in full attire for a reception at the Cotroceni Palace.

user posted image
Source: The Office of the President

user posted image

Are these all the surviving knights of the order?

Can you please identify them?
PM
CCJ
Posted: July 04, 2004 06:23 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 286

Terrific biggrin.gif

Those are wonderful. Is the custom to wear the MV insignia with the Ferdinand Cypher and not the Michael I Cypher?
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 04, 2004 06:31 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Is the custom to wear the MV insignia with the Ferdinand Cypher and not the Michael I Cypher?

The cape was introduced in 1936 when only the King Ferdinand type of the order existed. Probably the subsequent regulations of 1941 and 1944 modified only the metal badge of the order but not the cape.
PM
CCJ
Posted: July 04, 2004 06:33 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Thanks... That makes since.
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 04, 2004 06:46 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

The Order of Michael the Brave also has its own flag introduced in 1941. It can be seen in the photo below surrounded by the flags of four units that have been awarded the Order of Michael the Brave. These flags are also present behind the knights in the photo above.

user posted image
PM
Victor
Posted: July 04, 2004 09:25 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

There only 47 living holders of the MV order, all of the 3rd class.
Teh air force officer wearing the Iron Cross 1st class is gen. av. Ion Dicezare. Teh other air force officer was gen. av. Vasiel Gavriliu if I am not mistaken. He passed away 2 years ago.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
CCJ
Posted: July 04, 2004 10:00 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Question: were Romanians allowed to wear WW2 awards during the reign of communism? I doubt any 3rd Reich awards were allowed. Also, the Iron Cross worn by Air Force officer... would it be a type that is de-nazified?

I am also interested to learn if Romanians wore the awards from the war against Germany in WW1 during the period 1941-1944. I would think they did but not sure.
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 05, 2004 01:33 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Teh air force officer wearing the Iron Cross 1st class is gen. av. Ion Dicezare. Teh other air force officer was gen. av. Vasiel Gavriliu if I am not mistaken. He passed away 2 years ago.

If you refer to the seventh from the right, he is not Vasile Gavriliu. He was shorter, chubbier and did not have a moustache.

BTW, the fact that DiCesare wears the Eisernes Kreuz, 1st Class is very remarkable...
Carol I
Posted: July 05, 2004 06:00 am
Quote Post

General de armata

If I understood right, only Ioan Dicezare (DiCesare) was identified in the photo and he is the second from the right. Does anyone have any idea who the other ones are?
PM
Victor
Posted: July 05, 2004 06:19 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Question: were Romanians allowed to wear WW2 awards during the reign of communism? I doubt any 3rd Reich awards were allowed. Also, the Iron Cross worn by Air Force officer... would it be a type that is de-nazified?

I am also interested to learn if Romanians wore the awards from the war against Germany in WW1 during the period 1941-1944. I would think they did but not sure.

Yes they were allowed, but only the ones awarded after 23 August 1944 and only some of them. THe MV Order was offcially disbanded IIRC. The Star of Romania was replaced with the Star of the Republic and some exchanged the old one with the new one. I think that is what my grandfather did.
CCJ
Posted: July 05, 2004 06:20 am
Quote Post

Sergent

What about the Iron Cross?
PM
Victor
Posted: July 05, 2004 06:23 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

What about the Iron Cross?

I don't think it's the de-Nazified version. Ask C-2, he personally knows Dicezare and can forward the question to him.
Carol I
Posted: July 05, 2004 06:28 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Yes they were allowed, but only the ones awarded after 23 August 1944 and only some of them. THe MV Order was offcially disbanded IIRC. The Star of Romania was replaced with the Star of the Republic and some exchanged the old one with the new one. I think that is what my grandfather did.

As far as I know, all the royal Romanian orders were officially disbanded. But as Victor said, some of the old decorations could have been changed to new ones. And this is what many officers did as I heard that in the first years of the People's Republic the mere possession of a royal decoration could mean harassment from the authorities and even years in prison.
PM
CCJ
Posted: July 05, 2004 12:24 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

What a shame.

These men who most likely exchanged their orders and got rid of ones that were illigal must have had to get new Michael the Brave orders later on to wear on their uniforms. Does anyone know how these decorations were replaced for these men.
I guess many may have hidden their medals or it may have been as simple as leaving the medals stored out of view. I don't know what its like to live under communism...
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 05, 2004 12:53 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I guess many may have hidden their medals or it may have been as simple as leaving the medals stored out of view

Most veterans destroyed them or threw them away, as the threat of being jailed for merely possessing such royalist decorations (or even photos!) was very real.

I don't know what its like to live under communism...

Of what I understood, it wasn't much different than living under Naziism (before the war), except in some cases (like travel, private enterprises, religion) it was worse...
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0442 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]