Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian voluntary units in Spanish Civil War
Iamandi
Posted: September 01, 2004 12:06 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

Day after day, with all my effort, i forgot to take the book or notices at work, to write about this artilery unit. The book is "Istoria artileriei romane in date" - "The history of romanian artilery by ...." - and one of his writers was G-ral Victor Stanculescu. Maybe, tomorrow is the day...

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
cainele_franctiror
Posted: September 02, 2004 11:14 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 334

In spanish civil war fought a romanian comunist C Burca . When he was in romanian army he was in air force (maybe a mechanic , not a pilot). I do not know if he fought on a plane in Spain.
PM
Iamandi
Posted: September 03, 2004 10:07 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Oh, my god! Denes and C-2... Now, read this (from my book about Ro artilery):

Ianuary 1937 - Murcia

Under the direct supervisation of the International Brigades Comissar is born first romanian volunteer unit - "Divizionul roman de artilerie" (Romanian artillery battalion) - and its commander was ... Ing. Valter Roman! The unit had have 2 batteries with 3 pieces of 75 and 77 m.m.

February 12 - 1937

First action - fire in help of International Batallion "Edgar Andre" from XI Brigade (International). Press, "Reconquista" magasine shows about romanian voluntary unit - he had no maps, observation and communication equipment, but his efficiency was verry good - based on artilery help, "Edgar Andre" retake a higher position in vecinity of Alcaria. In one day, romanian unit fired 920 shells, repulsing 6 enemy attacks.

Romanian unit now is a Regiment - "Regimentul roman de artilerie motorizata", under 35th International Division. Commander is again, Ing. Valter Roman, who is also the commader of all the division's artillery.

One of the battery commander is Nicolae Cristea ex- worker at "Pirotehnia Armatei din Bucuresti", and one of battery servants is Vida Geza "artist al poporului " who realised monuments: "Monumentul eroilor din Carei", "Coloanele de la Moisei", "Rascoala", "Balad lui Pintea", etc.

The unit has ended its existence, part of his members fight later in Frances as partisans.

In week-end i ask my girlfriend for help me to translate more. I find some info about G-ral Korne, a little, and ... etc. smile.gif

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: September 03, 2004 08:00 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I think that Don Pedro will be interested :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
PMUsers Website
C-2
Posted: September 03, 2004 08:01 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

We may find a street named after his father :evil:
PMUsers Website
Stellan
Posted: October 15, 2004 02:05 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 369

I cannot find my documents. But telling from memory the Romanian Artillery Units were organized after the battle of Guadalajara where the Republicans captured a lot of Italian Guns.

If I remember right one Arty Bn was called "Ana Pauker". I can be wrong but I think one was named "Gehorgiu Gehorgiu Dej" or something like that.

Anyhow here is a picture of Walther Roman (in black baret) talking with "Ludwig Renn" aka Freiherr Arnold Veith von Golssenau (ex-Cpt Ger Art WW I) and COS of 11th International Brigade.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: October 15, 2004 10:01 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The first battery of Romanian volunteers was named "Tudor Vladimirescu".

In may 1937 at Almansa it was formed the "Romanian artillerymen group", named Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Stellan
Posted: October 15, 2004 10:19 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

What about "Ana Pauker"- was she not a high ranking Rum communist?
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: October 15, 2004 10:23 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Yes, but I don't think there was any artillery unit named after her.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Stellan
Posted: October 15, 2004 10:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

I think she had an Arty Battalion named "Ana Pauker" - but must try to find my documents on Sp Ciw War. So far I only found Infantry.

But I think there was also a Rum Inf Coy in one of the "Mixed Balkan" Btns. Will try to find it.

But in the whole Rum were running the Arty in the Repubilican Ejercito Popular.

PMEmail Poster
Stellan
Posted: October 16, 2004 01:50 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

So I found some of my notes on IB Arty in SCW.

In Spring 1937 the 2nd Arty Bn (II Grupo) "Ana Pauker" was formed.
CO Maj Agard (Fr) later Maj Szánto Zoltan "Baller" (Hung)

Formed by expanding Bty "Agard".
1st Bty "Ana Pauker"
2nd Bty "Pasionara"
3rd Bty "Asturias"

Stellan
PMEmail Poster
dragos
Posted: October 16, 2004 02:23 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Stellan @ Oct 16 2004, 04:50 PM)
So I found some of my notes on IB Arty in SCW.

In Spring 1937 the 2nd Arty Bn (II Grupo) "Ana Pauker" was formed.
CO Maj Agard (Fr) later Maj Szánto Zoltan "Baller" (Hung)

Formed by expanding Bty "Agard".
1st Bty "Ana Pauker"
2nd Bty "Pasionara"
3rd Bty "Asturias"

Stellan

I could not find any information on this unit in the book Istoria artileriei romane (Romanian artillery history). Did it have Romanian artillerymen ?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Iamandi
Posted: October 18, 2004 06:51 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Why - in that period - a unit named after Ana Pauker? And in my book is not mentioned "AP" or "Gh.Gh.D"...

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Stellan
Posted: January 07, 2005 09:21 am
Quote Post

Soldat

QUOTE (Iamandi @ Oct 18 2004, 06:51 AM)
Why - in that period - a unit named after Ana Pauker?

I think Ana Pauker at that time was a high ranking member of Komintern living in Moscow.
PMEmail Poster
jivana
Posted: November 18, 2005 04:32 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 639

I loked up the Spanish sites about the topic.

In the websites you find very few informations.

I´ll try to resume/recopilate them out of my memory:

Yes, there were Romanian voluntiers,
most of them fought on the republican (=comunist) side.

As to the airoplanes:
on the franquist side, where also German and Italian voluntiers were included, they had 1249 aeroplanes
on the republican side with Russians and the International Brigade (here were also the Romanian voluntiers) they had more than 1300 aeroplanes.
So it could have been possible that there were also Romanian pilots.

There were also many Romanian Jewish voluntiers in the brigades.

One of the most important men was general Kleber (his origin is different in the texts I read: Hungarian, Romanian, Jewish, Russian??), whose original name was Manfred Stern (this sounds German), he was in charge of the XI International Brigade which was very important defending Madrid on Nov. 6th, 1936. He died captive in Siberia.

The above mentioned artillery brigade "Tudor Vladimirescu" was led by José Epstein (born Andrej), originally from Poland. This battery was important at the "Batalla del Ebro" of Jan. 1938.

As to Walter Roman (written with "W") I found out that his wife, a Spanish refugee of the Spanish Civil War was initiator of the Spanish emission of a Romanian Radio. Walter Roman had fought in the Internationalö Brigade in the Spanish Civil War.

I also read something about the American Author Ernest Hemingway (he also fought in the Spanish Civil War), he must have mentioned Roman in one of his literary works.

So this is a resume from the things I remember, maybe I get more informations and I can give more and concrete informations with the exact sources.

All these informations are without guarantee ;-)

You can find the web sites by looking up for instance the key words "guerra civil española" and "Rumanía" (written with "u"). I think Spanish is easy to understand for Romanians.

Greetings
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.3936 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]