Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (15) « First ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Vienna, 30 August 1940 - Award or Diktat ?
dragos
Posted: September 08, 2005 03:04 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Imperialist @ Sep 8 2005, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (dragos @ Sep 8 2005, 12:55 PM)

The rest of your post does not worth answering.

Ofcourse...

It's like useless talking.

Must we start over with the fact that Poland or Finland in 1939 were not in the hopeless situation Romania was in the summer of 1940? Poland had British guarantees and was promised an Allied ground intervention within two weeks in case of a German attack. Finland was also expecting help from the Scandinavian states and the Allies. In July 1940, Romania not only was alone, but was surrounded by potential enemies.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
tomcat1974
Posted: September 08, 2005 03:51 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Group: Members
Member No.: 427

Not to mention that during 20-40's, the army aquisition program was plagued by many corruption scandals(some of them leading to the Royal House). The army was not in any measure to oppose to any agression with chances of success. Despite this ill equiped army , the Soldiers wanted to fight.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: September 08, 2005 04:01 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (dragos @ Sep 8 2005, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (Imperialist @ Sep 8 2005, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (dragos @ Sep 8 2005, 12:55 PM)

The rest of your post does not worth answering.

Ofcourse...

It's like useless talking.

Must we start over with the fact that Poland or Finland in 1939 were not in the hopeless situation Romania was in the summer of 1940? Poland had British guarantees and was promised an Allied ground intervention within two weeks in case of a German attack. Finland was also expecting help from the Scandinavian states and the Allies. In July 1940, Romania not only was alone, but was surrounded by potential enemies.

You are only trying to bring more arguments in the defense of a decision that was outrageous to all romanians at the time, and continues to live in infamy even today.
I for one will not try to convince you of anything anylonger. I have finally understood the disgust romanians in Transylvania have for Vechiul Regat. I wouldnt like to live in a region which is non-essential to the "survival" of the country (a country which can very well continue to be, even without the region, ofcourse) "on the map", a region which can be given up when the going gets harder, rather than for the country to commit "suicide" over it. And I also feel sorry for the romanians in Bassarabia.
You are right, its useless talking. "Great ideas" shouldnt be written from the safety of the computer, hopefully they'll pop up in the mind of the politicians when the situation is not safe. Or, maybe not, the instinct being to adopt the easy way out, instinct which can be changed only in times of safety, not at the last moment.
So we should stop.
I dont understand the mentality of fighting only when you have the chance and giving up when the enemies surround you. It must be something genetical, so I will stop telling it to romanians.
I also dont understand why some continue to whine about the "Diktat" when on the other hand they say it would have been foolish to resist the "Diktat" so it was good to sign the Arbitration, though we all knew it was a Diktat...
I have nothing else to say.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
dragos
Posted: September 08, 2005 04:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (tomcat1974)
Not to mention that during 20-40's, the army aquisition program was plagued by many corruption scandals(some of them leading to the Royal House). The army was not in any measure to oppose to any agression with chances of success. Despite this ill equiped army , the Soldiers wanted to fight.

The Romanian Army Chief of Staff, General Gheorghe Mihail, pleaded for submitting to the diktat. He said that even if the Army was motivated, the ill equipment and the superiority of the enemy offers no chances of victory. He assesed that the Hungarian Army alone could be defeated, but not the Russians.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Zayets
Posted: September 08, 2005 08:13 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

It is clear that people have divergent oppinions.Which is no surprise at all.I for one,support the idea of fight.But people knowing me will say that this is no surprise.I put honor above anything,I put pride above my contracts.I don't believe in compromises,yet I believe in settlements.I hate being told what I should think,yet I gladly forget what I don't like.Bottom line,and myself I would like to finish in this thread if possible,it was definitely no award.Was it arbitration?Seen as a football game,that could be the term.But don't forget , Romania did not ask for this arbitration.Hungary was frustrated in their oppinion.
I am a proud Romanian,born in Transylvania,I do not consider Moldavia inferior,I do not consider Banat superior ,I do believe the fact that politics failed us badly.Then and now.But I also say that it is pure incidental that politics was/is made in Bucharest. I would not blame these people there.They are fine people.Like almost all Romanians I know biggrin.gif .
For the ones thinking about the August 30th as a diktat : justice has been made.
For the ones thinking it was an arbitration : good game.
For the ones thinking it was an award : depends on which side you judge.
Good night gents.

This post has been edited by Zayets on September 09, 2005 06:55 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: September 09, 2005 06:37 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

QUOTE (dragos @ Sep 8 2005, 04:06 PM)
The Romanian Army Chief of Staff, General Gheorghe Mihail, pleaded for submitting to the diktat. He said that even if the Army was motivated, the ill equipment and the superiority of the enemy offers no chances of victory. He assesed that the Hungarian Army alone could be defeated, but not the Russians.

But, why they not have a short war with Bulgaria. As in football, a gesture of honour... and at the end we can have a 2-1 final score (2 - Soviet U. and Hungaria, and 1 Bulgaria).

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: September 09, 2005 08:55 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Let's stay on topic and keep serious. If you want to talk about football open a new topic in General Discussion.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
sid guttridge
Posted: September 09, 2005 10:09 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Imperialist,

What do you think the result would have been if Romania had decided to reject arbitration and fight for Transilvania in 1940?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: September 09, 2005 10:57 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Sep 9 2005, 10:09 AM)
What do you think the result would have been if Romania had decided to reject arbitration and fight for Transilvania in 1940?

Sid, I think I have included that result in the opinions I have expressed on this thread and on the Rejecting the Soviet Ultimatum one.
I will not reopen the discussion now.
If you want to add something, please do.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
sid guttridge
Posted: September 09, 2005 11:10 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Imperialist,

Could you please point me to the posts in question?

cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: September 09, 2005 11:53 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Sep 9 2005, 11:10 AM)

Could you please point me to the posts in question?

No, you'd have to read the whole thread. Sorry, I dont have time to search it for you.

--------------------
I
PM
sid guttridge
Posted: September 09, 2005 11:54 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Imperialist,

Well how about just answering my original question in brief?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: September 09, 2005 12:12 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

QUOTE (dragos @ Sep 9 2005, 08:55 AM)
Let's stay on topic and keep serious. If you want to talk about football open a new topic in General Discussion.

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

But, why they not have a short war with Bulgaria. As in football, a gesture of honour... and at the end we can have a 2-1 final score (2 - Soviet U. and Hungaria, and 1 Bulgaria).

I think you don't understand well...

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
sid guttridge
Posted: September 09, 2005 04:34 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Imperialist,

I have read all your posts on this thread, but I could find no mention of what you think the outcome would have been if Romania had rejected arbitration and decided to fight over Transilvania in 1940.

I have no problem with you not wanting to answer my question, but would it not be more honest simply to say so?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: September 09, 2005 04:48 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Sep 9 2005, 04:34 PM)

I have no problem with you not wanting to answer my question, but would it not be more honest simply to say so?

I think I answered your little question. If you did not like the answer, or did not find something on the thread, tough luck.
If you want to continue the discussion in a serious manner, you can say what you want, and what your point is, without beating around the bush with rhetorical questions.
For me the discussion is closed, I posted my opinions, and I think so did you. If you want to add something reply to one of my posts, or just post what you want to say.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (15) « First ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0505 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]