Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 16 place order bar
Carol I
Posted: July 27, 2004 01:22 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

I have found the images of an interesting 16 place order bar that has been on eBay some time ago.

user posted image

user posted image
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 27, 2004 01:30 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

The badge of the Order of Michael the Brave seems to be quite thick.

user posted imageuser posted image

Can anyone provide some details about this version of the badge?
PM
CCJ
Posted: July 27, 2004 11:10 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 286

Wow,

That looks like about all the awards a person could put on a bar. Is this a bar to a Medical person?

:beer:
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 27, 2004 11:23 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Is this a bar to a Medical person?

I have no idea who was the holder of this bar, but I would guess that he was not a medical officer. The bar has indeed the Medical Merit Cross, but no Queen Mary Cross Order that was introduced in WWI as a medical order. Besides, the presence of the Michael the Brave Order suggests a combat officer.
PM
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 30, 2004 04:46 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 198

Hate to say it, but capitalism has finally come to Bucharest. There is a dealer who is very skillful with the sewing machine and makes some very nice medal bars. Usually, the backing is of old cloth and the front ribbons look new. What give these bars away is the backing thread used is very new, clean and bright looking and more than likely will show up and glow florescent under a black light, showing the new synthetic dies used today in the manufacture of cloth. This bar shows a bright white thread. Large attachment pins are made from old bicycle spokes that show age and rust, but the ends are freshly cut and untarnished. New metal showing. Alot of Medal Bars with Michael the Brave orders have come up for sale. Thick 1916 MV order with a translucent dark blue enamel were made as copies in Austria years ago and sold as originals today. The dark blue enamel is a cleaner, brighter pigmented enamel, and more translucent then ones made during WW2 and especially during WW1. Pigments used in enamels of the period have a dirty or muddy look to them. In reproductions, the enamels are very much cleaner and brighter. Pigments in these enamels of today are much louder and brighter. Think of how paint looked like on an antique car of the 1920's-1940's versus the cars of today. I am not saying that this medal bar is a recent manufactured piece using original medals, but as one collector to another, inspect them carefully. Many currently made bars that look old are flooding Ebay and other military auction houses.
PMYahooMSN
Carol I
Posted: July 30, 2004 06:27 am
Quote Post

General de armata

I am not saying that this medal bar is a recent manufactured piece using original medals, but as one collector to another, inspect them carefully. Many currently made bars that look old are flooding Ebay and other military auction houses.

Thank you for the advice, but I am not interested in this particular bar. It was sold quite a long time ago, and I kept the images just because it was one of the longest order bars I have seen. Besides, it had the strange looking badge of the Order of Michael the Brave. It just happened that I recently stumbled upon these images in my computer. But in general it is good to be warned.

Hate to say it, but capitalism has finally come to Bucharest. There is a dealer who is very skillful with the sewing machine and makes some very nice medal bars. Usually, the backing is of old cloth and the front ribbons look new. What give these bars away is the backing thread used is very new, clean and bright looking and more than likely will show up and glow florescent under a black light, showing the new synthetic dies used today in the manufacture of cloth. This bar shows a bright white thread. Large attachment pins are made from old bicycle spokes that show age and rust, but the ends are freshly cut and untarnished. New metal showing. Alot of Medal Bars with Michael the Brave orders have come up for sale. Thick 1916 MV order with a translucent dark blue enamel were made as copies in Austria years ago and sold as originals today. The dark blue enamel is a cleaner, brighter pigmented enamel, and more translucent then ones made during WW2 and especially during WW1. Pigments used in enamels of the period have a dirty or muddy look to them. In reproductions, the enamels are very much cleaner and brighter. Pigments in these enamels of today are much louder and brighter. Think of how paint looked like on an antique car of the 1920's-1940's versus the cars of today.

You seem to know a lot of tricks about telling apart authentic pieces from counterfeited ones or fakes (I also recall the discussion we had about the Military Virtue Cross). Could you please write some more pieces of advice in some sort of a "Collector's Guide"? Could you please use examples from your comprehensive collection to illustrate the appearance of the authentic badges of the various Romanian orders and medals? Thank you.
PM
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 30, 2004 02:02 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Some other fakes being made are certain badges and the Order of Parliament. Very fine jewler made pieces from Bucharest. Very difficult to tell them apart from original pieces except for the center coat of arms shield on the front center of the Romanian Eagle. Older badges, the artwork was hand painted and baked into the enamal. Each piece has slight to major variations depending on the manufacture. 1938-1945, a decal was made and applied into the enamal finish. These pieces all look the same. Consistant during this period. The fakes of today are using a high tech computer and color printer to make this artwork. It is not a decal but a color photo. It is then applied and a clear acrylic plastic is applied over the top giving the piece an enamel finish. You cannot tell the difference except for 2 things. First, being plastic and not polished baked enamel, it feels different when you rub your thumb or finger over it. Taste it ! You can taste plastic polymirs residue. Dig your finger nail into the shield. Plastic is soft.

This is a difficult and tough area for anyone trying to identifying fakes. These items are not mass produced. Only a handful are made for quick profit and individuals involved go on to their next project as not to bring attention to themselves.
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 31, 2004 02:34 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Same Austrian Mfg who made the dark blue bulbous MV order on the medal bar also made these pieces.
user posted image
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 31, 2004 02:36 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

user posted image
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 31, 2004 02:38 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

user posted image
PMYahooMSN
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 31, 2004 02:40 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

user posted image

So you guys be the judge : Originals or Fakes.
I have already formed my opinion.
PMYahooMSN
mihai
Posted: July 31, 2004 10:16 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 30

I have found the images of an interesting 16 place order bar that has been on eBay some time ago.

user posted image

user posted image

This is great piece.Good enamel shape!
10th order from left side is "Order of Crown of Serbia" in 1920s

Mihai
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 31, 2004 05:58 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

This is great piece.Good enamel shape!

REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR expressed his doubts regarding the badge of the Order of Michael the Brave. It seems that it is a copy made by an Austrian manufacturer, hence the whole bar is suspicious.

10th order from left side is \"Order of Crown of Serbia\" in 1920s

It is actually the Order of the Crown of Yugoslavia instituted on 3 October 1929 to mark the change of the name of the country from the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

The ninth order is the French Legion of Honour.
PM
mihai
Posted: August 01, 2004 10:57 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 30

[quote]10th order from left side is "Order of Crown of Serbia" in 1920s[/quote]
It is actually the Order of the Crown of Yugoslavia instituted on 3 October 1929 to mark the change of the name of the country from the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.[/quote]
Yes, In The king Alexandru of Servia,The partner of HM Princess Marioara,The Serbia and Croatia,Slovakia make The trinity kingdon of Yugoslavia.This is First Yougoslav.
I like This Order of Crown.

Mihai
PM
Carol I
Posted: August 04, 2004 06:13 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Here are some images of another thick-body badge of the Order of Michael the Brave.
user posted image
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0371 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]