Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Military Virtue Cross
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: December 09, 2006 08:01 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

Hallo Carol I & b737 biggrin.gif

thanks for the very quick replies, with regard the two silver ones, one with ball ring mount and the other with hoop mount any ideas as to if originals? or WW2 era??

I would also like to know a little about the criteria for the awarding the cross, was it strictly an "Other Ranks" award, seperate from Officers?

And do the three have any individual monetary value as such?

Kevin in Deva biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: December 09, 2006 08:18 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (New Connaught Ranger @ December 09, 2006 09:01 pm)
I would also like to know a little about the criteria for the awarding the cross, was it strictly an "Other Ranks" award, seperate from Officers?

Since WWI the Military Virtue Cross was the highest military decoration for the lower ranks (equivalent to the Order of Michael the Brave for the officers).

with regard the two silver ones, one with ball ring mount and the other with hoop mount any ideas as to if originals?

The first one appears to have poor details on the wreath. Even the medallion seems to have an odd appearance, but it is hard to tell whether it is the result of poor execution or of damage.
user posted image user posted image

The second one is more detailed, but seems to lack the ornamental lines in the "trough" around the arms of the cross that were mentioned earlier in the thread.
PM
b737
Posted: December 10, 2006 12:04 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (Carol I @ December 09, 2006 08:18 pm)

Since WWI the Military Virtue Cross was the highest military decoration for the lower ranks (equivalent to the Order of Michael the Brave for the officers).

with regard the two silver ones, one with ball ring mount and the other with hoop mount any ideas as to if originals?

The first one appears to have poor details on the wreath. Even the medallion seems to have an odd appearance, but it is hard to tell whether it is the result of poor execution or of damage.

The second one is more detailed, but seems to lack the ornamental lines in the "trough" around the arms of the cross that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

From my poit of wiew , both medals are ok !
PMEmail Poster
mihai
Posted: June 28, 2013 03:29 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 30

This is other pieces of Military Virtue Cross.

It's typical WW2 issued pieces.

Mi

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/yz31.jpg/

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This post has been edited by mihai on June 28, 2013 03:34 am
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0309 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]