Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian military operations in Czechoslovakia
mabadesc
Posted: July 18, 2003 08:45 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

Not much is written about Romanian Troops fighting in Slovakia. Battles such as Lucenec, Banska-Bystrica, Tatra Mountains, etc...

We know that Romanian CO's were appalled and angry with the way the Allied Soviets kept taking all the credit for all positions conquered. We also know that the troops were demoralized due to lack of food and supplies (most of which were also diverted by force to the Soviet Army).

Besides this, however, I'd like to learn more about the military operations and strategies employed by the Romanian Troops during these battles. Did they perform well? Did they continue to fight well or was their morale too low to be effective?

Any info. appreciated.
PM
Florin
Posted: September 26, 2003 05:27 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

Hi Mabadesc,

I see that you are "stuck in time", but if you still live in Romania, you should be able to access some books in libraries.

In the Communist Era, the Romanian historians were very scarce about the Eastern Front period, but plenty of books were printed about the post-August 23rd period, covering Northern Translyvania - Hungary - Czechoslovakia.

I bet some books may be published also after 1990 about the after-August 23 period. One of them covered a little bit your concern, mostly because the subject was wide and complex: "Hitler, King Carol and Marshall Antonescu".

While in the military service (some years before 1989...), I could take a glance through "Romania pe frontul Antihitlerist / Romania on the anti-Hitler Front". If there are more books with the same title, I remember that one had about 1500 big pages.

Florin
PM
Victor
Posted: September 26, 2003 09:31 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The Romanian troops were cited several times on the entire Red Army. The 2nd Tank Regiment received no less than four citations in almost a month and a half of fighting. The battle for Banska Bystica was a very hard fought and bloody victory. The examples could go on. Unfortunately this part of the Eastern Front in 1944/45 receives little attention today, just like it did then, when the push to Berlin was the main concern.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0411 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]