Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Want to meet Romanian War Veterans?
Der Maresal
Posted: July 18, 2003 01:46 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Want to meet Romanian War Veterans?...at least one was still alive last year during the summer and I had the oportunity to talk to him.

A pilot during the war, he flew the Reconaissance aircraft Fiesler Storch, that awesome plane that could land on only 50 meters of runway! He was close to stalingrad, in that area he told me, and he talked about a pilot that was hit, and totaly blinded managed to land his plane using only the instructions from the ground controll station! What a story! smile.gif

I only know the last name of this veteran, "Burghiu" and I also know that he will attend the Romanian Campus at Hamilton, Canada this year where Romanians gather from allover Canada and the USA some even came from as far away as Berlin, or Sydney Australia!!

This campus called "Câmpul Râmanesc" lasts at least one week, and it is quite nationalistic in nature if I can make that remark, there were at least two old men that had been Legionares in the Iron Guard, one of them is a priest now.

This is a Campus, where you sleep in tents, eat dinner in a big Cottage style restaurant, there was even a Romanian Military Band that came last year all the way from Romania and (to my great annoiance) missed it last year :cry: , there is even a small river where people do some fishing! The hallway is decorated with pictures of the Poet Eminescu, the King Michael, Codreanu leader of the Iron Guard and even Marshall Antonescu! I even even departed with 2 video casettes about the Romanian Army in World War 2 last year, and I sure hope to get something this year.

Some of the older peoples who attend were political prisoners and many have served long sentences, (decades) in the communist postwar romania

If you want to meet veterans (while there is still time), and if you live in North America I recomand that you attend this Campus, which starts on the 20th of July.. You do learn alot from old people, especially veterans. This veteran pilot that I was talking with, I showed him my familly pictures of my own grandfather also in the Airforce, - he liked the photographs and said that he had taken many himself during the war but which he later burned for fear of being arrested! (I would never have done that).

Here's the adress and driving directions, If you are interested please bring your tent and some money too, this is not free, but the memories will surely last a lifetime.

You can find photographs of the place here on this site which is in Romanian language: :arrow: http://www.thebans.com/romania/rom/cimp.asp

The advertisement and map of the camp is here=> :arrow: http://www.romanianchurchtoronto.com/camproha.htm
it is located north of Hamilton (which has a substantial romanian population) and not that far away from Toronto, from where many visitor come.

Enjoy your stay: :wink:
PMMSN
mabadesc
Posted: July 18, 2003 11:54 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

Sounds interesting. Thanks for posting the info...
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 19, 2003 12:51 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I've heard that there are 2 veteran Generals currently living in North-America (one in the USA and the other one in Canada): Jipa and Fenichi.

Do you know if this is true and if yes, how can they be contacted (with their respective permission, of course).

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0560 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]