Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Elite Units of the Romanian Army
Der Maresal
Posted: July 18, 2003 01:19 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 21

Which was the best Elite Division of the Army throughout most the war?
The best equipped and best trained... something like the "Grossdeutschland Division of the Romanian Army"

-I know there were SS Units from Romania, that had the latest equipment but let's talk about the Army for now..

Did romania had commando units or special operation forces :?: :roll:
PMMSN
Dénes
Posted: July 18, 2003 03:51 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

One such élite unit was the 'Rumanian Ski Unit', known also as 'Der Rumänische Ski-Verband'
For details, see:
http://www.geocities.com/dangrecu/Skiverband.html

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mabadesc
Posted: July 18, 2003 08:25 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

You must be speaking about the Colonel Rotta Detachment, created from within one of the Mountain brigades/divisions.

I'm familiar with their achievements, but I'd like to know how they became an elite group (and why). Were they equipped better? Were the recruits selected from the best soldiers within the Mountain Corps? Did they have more modern weapons? Were they given additional training?

In other words, what differentiated them from the other Infantry and Mountain Hunters troops?

Thanks for your answer.
PM
Dénes
Posted: July 18, 2003 11:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Before I'd attempt to reply to your question, let me state that my interest in non-aviation matters related to history is only general and therefore rather limited.

When mentioning 'Colonel Rotta Detachment' as possibly one of the élite Rumanian units, I made the assumption, that since this units was one of the very few Rumanian units integrated into the German Army, acting under German command and thus independently from the Rumanian Army - as per Dan Grecu's mentioned web site - it must have been equipped with German issued weapons, to solve supply problem. This could mean a superior equipment to a regular Rumanian Mountain unit, both in quality and quantity.

As you may know, in the Wehrmacht, Gebirgsjäger units were considered above-the-average - élite, if you will - units, hence my second assumption, namely that the 'Rotta Ski Verband' was similarly an élite unit.

Finally, drawing from a third analogy, this time to the sole ARR unit integrated into the Luftwaffe - namely the 'Deutsch-Königlich Rumänischen Jagdverband', or 'German-Royal Rumanian Fighter Unit' - again I assumed that the member of this ki unit were selected to higher standards than soldiers for a regular Rumanian Mountain unit.

When posting my above short comment, directing the reader to Dan Grecu's web site, my intention was merely to point out a lesser-known unit, which I assumed was an élite one, for the aforementioned reasons.
I hope I didn't disappoint.

Dénes
Victor
Posted: July 19, 2003 10:46 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

The 5th and 6th Mountain Battalion became the 25th and 26th Skier Battalion. The Col. Rotta Group also had a communications platoon, a pioneer platoon, an AA gun platoon (4x20 mm), an AT gun company (6x47 mm) and a 75 mm mountain howitzer battalion. For transportation the Group had 60 donkeys, 60 sleds and 6 trucks. In January 1942, the Skier Group was sent to Crimea and subordinated to the 1st Mountain Brigade. But soon it was put under the direct German command used in the fights around Izyum.

Going back to your question. The mountain brigades/divisions were the elite of the Romanian army, as were the motorized regiments of the cavalry brigades/divisions. The Romanian Grossdeutschland Division could be the 1st Armored Division Romania Mare.
StuG40
Posted: December 06, 2003 11:29 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 159

Since this unit was integrated into the German Army, did its soldiers ever use German helmets/uniforms?
PM
Victor
Posted: December 07, 2003 07:24 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Since this unit was integrated into the German Army, did its soldiers ever use German helmets/uniforms?

It was subordinated to German command, like many other Romanian units. Why would they need German helmets/uniforms?
StuG40
Posted: December 07, 2003 03:07 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

From what I understand after reading the webpage above, Detasamentul Rotta became a German unit made up of Romanians, in the same vain as the Romanian Waffen-SS regiments. :?
PM
Victor
Posted: December 07, 2003 06:43 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

From what I understand after reading the webpage above, Detasamentul Rotta became a German unit made up of Romanians, in the same vain as the Romanian Waffen-SS regiments.  :?

Can't tell from where you got the idea though...
StuG40
Posted: December 07, 2003 08:33 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Almost the totality of Romanian troops were under the command of the 3rd and 4th Armies. This unit here was subordinated to a German Army (17th) for a few years. Look at the fieldpost numbers and German expressions used for the OOB. You don't see similar stuff with any other unit on Dan Grecu's page. But you know this already lol (stop the mind games! :x laugh.gif ). Just tell me if they ever used German uniforms, helmet, etc. tongue.gif
PM
Victor
Posted: December 08, 2003 08:38 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Almost the totality of Romanian troops were under the command of the 3rd and 4th Armies. This unit here was subordinated to a German Army (17th) for a few years. Look at the fieldpost numbers and German expressions used for the OOB. You don't see similar stuff with any other unit on Dan Grecu's page

This statement is false. Many Romanian units were subordinated to German armies (the 11th, the 17th, the 1st Panzer, the 4th Panzer etc). From 1943 on the subordination got even worse, as Romanian units were sometimes broken into battalions or even companies which were distributed to German regiments/battalions. The CO had practically no control over his own forces.
About the "German expressions used for OoB". Just look up Groddek Brigade, Konrad Group, Kress Group, De Angelis Group etc, etc.

But the answer is no they were not issued German uniforms.

German helmets were used in the Romanian army by the 4th Paratrooper Battalion (the M38 model) and by some cavalry units (the M35 model) later in the war.

Btw, col. Rotta did not receive the RK.
Indrid
Posted: December 23, 2003 10:38 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

Romanian soldiers in german uniforms? that`s a laugh! laugh.gif
PMICQ
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0420 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]