Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "D-Day in color"
dragos
Posted: June 03, 2004 04:41 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Sunday 6 June, at 22 hours (Bucharest time), on Discovery Channel: "D-Day in color", with color footage from 6 June 1944 :keep:
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: June 03, 2004 09:40 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Can't wait biggrin.gif tongue.gif smile.gif :beer: :cheers: :keep:
PMUsers Website
Indrid
Posted: June 04, 2004 06:35 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 142

anybody here able to make a good tv tuner capture? :question:
PMICQ
dragos
Posted: June 06, 2004 08:06 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

What are your impressions?

A note on the commentaries that accompanied the footage. Even if the basic idea was the same, underlining the turning point of the war, something new in the documentaries about the D-Day appeared from the first time: even if many French civilians were happy for the changing of the situation, some of them were not too happy to greet the Americans as liberators. They seemed to be content with their previous situation, and they disliked the idea of the French countryside being turned into a battlefield of destruction. :!: It is for the first time I hear something like this in a documentary about D-Day.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: June 06, 2004 08:19 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

That's why I dislike the French...
The Anglo-Americans saved their butts twice in 25 years,and they never were too grateful.
I saw a while ago,a short film ,made in France in the late 40's,(only a few yers from D day.It was so anty American,that I could say it was made by comunists in Stalin's SU!
I still consider that Churchil's proposal,to land insted of Normandia,in the Pelopones was a better and more succesful idea.
PMUsers Website
dragos
Posted: June 06, 2004 08:33 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The documentary stated that several hundreds (or thousands?) of French civilians died in the bombings preceding the d-day.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: June 06, 2004 08:35 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

The same hapened in Rotredeam.....
PMUsers Website
dragos
Posted: June 06, 2004 08:36 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The same hapened in Rotredeam.....

Where is this town??? It sounds like Rotterdam.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
C-2
Posted: June 06, 2004 09:13 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

It is actualy Rotterdam....
I was "innahurry" tongue.gif
PMUsers Website
Chandernagore
Posted: June 06, 2004 10:28 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 106

I was \"innahurry\" tongue.gif

Stay with us laugh.gif

Short term French reaction varied for several reasons, among which :

1. High civilians casualty toll during several years of occupation due to allied bombings
2. The tragedy of Mers el Kebir
3. The political agenda of De Gaulle
4. Traditional French chauvinism

However if you followed the commemoration, it makes no doubt what the feelings are.

Actually a DDay in the Balkans would have gone nowhere but in Soviet arms and logistical problems.
PM
johnny_bi
Posted: June 07, 2004 12:10 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

The documentary stated that several hundreds (or thousands?) of French civilians died in the bombings preceding the d-day.

The same happened in Holland during the Market-Garden operation...
PM
johnny_bi
Posted: June 07, 2004 12:13 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

The Anglo-Americans saved their butts twice in 25 years,and they never were too grateful.  

Do not forget that specially during WWI the biggest toll was paid by the French... that, IMHO, never recovered after that... France was rather a battlefield and it was not the cause of the conflict...
PM
Carol I
Posted: June 07, 2004 10:40 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

Even if the basic idea was the same, underlining the turning point of the war, something new in the documentaries about the D-Day appeared from the first time: even if many French civilians were happy for the changing of the situation, some of them were not too happy to greet the Americans as liberators. They seemed to be content with their previous situation, and they disliked the idea of the French countryside being turned into a battlefield of destruction.  :!:  It is for the first time I hear something like this in a documentary about D-Day.

I have also noticed this remark. But I think it meant that the French civilians only disliked seeing their countryside turned into a battlefield and their houses transformed into ruins, not that they were also content with the German occupation. Otherwise, the mere idea of widespread French resistance during WWII would simply disappear. The other idea that pops up is that those quoted happened to be German collaborators (active or at least sympathetic), but I doubt this.
PM
dragos
Posted: July 14, 2004 12:30 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Marius
Posted: July 24, 2004 07:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 310

That's why I dislike the French...

The french have allways been a proud people. Since Napoleon Bonaparte they never admited loosing a war or getting (a lot of) help from England, America (Canada). When I went to France and i wanted to buy a drink, I asked the guy from the bar in english and he just did not want to talk to me. I had to find out how to tell him in french. :x
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0402 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]