Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Support for August, 1944?
Curioso
Posted: April 26, 2004 02:45 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 262

Greetings.
How much support was there behind the August, 1944, side swapping? Most parties seem to have been in it. The army? The people?
Thanks for any replies.
PM
Victor
Posted: April 30, 2004 05:32 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The term of "side-swapping" is not exactly very accurate. Initially there was no state of conflict between German and Romanian forces. The Germans were given two weeks to evacuate their forces. Of course it was a little childish to believe that Hitler would just take his toys and leave. War was declared to the Axis after Bucharest was bombed on 24 August by the Luftwaffe. I think, at least technically, it is a difference.

Almost everybody was behind the idea of an armistice. There were no cases of Romanian units fighting Romanian units (pro-Axis vs pro-Allied). Every unit respected the orders it had received from the higher echelon. The desire to retake NW Transylvania was high among both the army and the people.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Brotherhoodofthecross
Posted: April 30, 2004 10:10 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 223

The term of "side-swapping" is not exactly very accurate. Initially there was no state of conflict between German and Romanian forces. The Germans were given two weeks to evacuate their forces. Of course it was a little childish to believe that Hitler would just take his toys and leave. War was declared to the Axis after Bucharest was bombed on 24 August by the Luftwaffe. I think, at least technically, it is a difference.

In another words, the Germans asked for it laugh.gif laugh.gif :lol
I wonder how many Romanians perished because of the Germans (as enemies) compared to those killed by the Russians while they were "the mighty ally from the East" in the months following the treason.

Almost everybody was behind the idea of an armistice. There were no cases of Romanian units fighting Romanian units (pro-Axis vs pro-Allied). Every unit respected the orders it had received from the higher echelon. The desire to retake NW Transylvania was high among both the army and the people.

You make it sound like the Romanians accepted enthusiastically the new Alliance with the Russians and the fight against the Germans :mad: Sounds like cheap propaganda pal.

I had a chat with a friend of mine whose grandpa was a machine-gunner in the Romanian Army. He fought from Stalingrad 'till Tatra and had many interesting story to tell. One of them was about the fights around 23 August in Moldova when he recalls that on several occassions German-Romanian units fired at Soviet-Romanian units. However, it is true, the reason was the widespread confussion and not the 'loyalty' of the Romanian units subordonated to the Germans. HOWEVER, in my oppinion, if the Romanian soldiers (and their leaders) back then could have forseen the future most likely that would had fought to the last man.
PM
Victor
Posted: April 30, 2004 10:51 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

In another words, the Germans asked for it

There is no part in my text, which states such a thing. All I did was state historical facts. The rest is your subjective interpretation.

I wonder how many Romanians perished because of the Germans (as enemies) compared to those killed by the Russians while they were "the mighty ally from the East" in the months following the treason

Until 23 August 1944 some 71,585 men were listed as killed. From then on, until the end of the war, 21,035 were listed as killed.

The using of word treason is inappropriate IMO, because, as far as I know, Romania did not owe anything to Hitler and Nazi Germany, as long as he couldn't anymore guarantee its status-quo. And this was clearly the case in August 1944.

You make it sound like the Romanians accepted enthusiastically the new Alliance with the Russians and the fight against the Germans. Sounds like cheap propaganda pal.

The words "Russian/Soviet alliance" are not even mentioned in my post, so I find it pretty difficult to see how you came to such a conclusion. I believe what I meant is expressed bluntly.
Chandernagore
Posted: April 30, 2004 11:25 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 106

The words "Russian/Soviet alliance" are not even mentioned in my post, so I find it pretty difficult to see how you came to such a conclusion. I believe what I meant is expressed bluntly.

Victor, you "made it sound like" so you're so obviously guilty that only the penal battalion can possibly redeem you. Please, ban yourself for a few days laugh.gif
PM
Curioso
Posted: April 30, 2004 02:17 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 262

You make it sound like the Romanians accepted enthusiastically the new Alliance with the Russians and the fight against the Germans.

You think so? As far as I can tell, it sounded like he said that the Romanians wanted an armistice and wanted Transylvania back. Neither could be accomplished without fighting alongside their new allies.

As to Romania not owing anything to Germany, however, there was the Tripartite Pact, which Romania had joined.

Anyway, have you got any info to add about the topic, i.e., what kind of popular support was behind the course of events of August, 1944? There are those who claim that the King and the politicians and generals involved weren't representative of the country. On the other hand, it seems that virtually all political parties were involved (save the Legion, of course), and Victor, in his post, says no army units chose to ignore the new orders. Have you got any other insights?
Thank you in advance.
PM
dragos
Posted: April 30, 2004 04:03 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

It was a sensational and incredible news. "Yet, I thought, it could be just a rumour?" I've had to check it immediately. In the shoretest time, the news was confirmed. The people we met in our way gave us new details about the official statement broadcasted one evening before. So, my soldier correctly heard baker's word and he understood very well the situation.

When we reached south of Bacau we stopped for a while in a forest nearby the road. In that moment the joy bursted out. Everyone was asking something, everyone was laughing and crying. The soldiers were convinced that peace was to come tomorrow. None had the time to listen to the voices of the wood, the leaves which rustled, the birds which sang their songs.

At dawn we left the forest and continued our march on the pitch ribbon of the road. As I was swinging in my saddle in the slow rhythm of my horse's steps and the heavy cannon's wheels were making their rattling noise, I was thinking what was to come next. I was hoping that when the darkness would lay upon, the gloomy thoughts which surrounded me will go away.

Suddenly, somewhere, into the depth of my soul, an insistent question entered, bringing new worries. What will happen with us, with our country? What was going to be the Soviet's attitude? How shall we manage to detach ourselves from the German troops, which were marching on the same roads with our units? The answers were to come later, but they were accompanied by other bewilderments. Only one thing remained certain; we were to fight from now on against our former allies, together with our yesterday enemies. Was it good? Was it right?

The orders were that we had to jump over the Carpathian Mountains chain and to liberate the north-western part of Transylvania, occupied by Horthy's troops. Not a single Romanian soldier was in doubt about the legitimacy of such an action. Transylvania was - still is, and ever it will be - our country's heart. We were thinking about Transylvania, we were yearning for Transylvania even in the moments when we were fighting far away from our home, on foreign lands, in the East.

Romania in World War II, ISOSIM, Bucharest 1997, pp 205-206
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 30, 2004 04:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

The Declaration of the new Romanian Government - set up on August 23, 1944, and presided by General Constantin Sanatescu, under the aegis of the National Democratic Bloc - expressed the wishes of all Romanians, by showing that " the regime we want to set up will be a democratic regime, where all the public liberties and civil rights of the people will be fully respected and guaranteed ". The first decrees of the new power - referring to the political amnesty and to the abolition of the internment camp - also, the August 31, 1944 Decree, that stipulated the coming back into effect of the 1923 Constitution titles (II "About Romanian Citizens' Rights" and III "About State's Right") clearly provided this reality.

Romania's entering the Anti-Hitlerite war meant a radical change in our country's foreign policy and situated the Romanian people on the United Nations' side, together with the other forces which led the resistance movements and the struggle for the national liberation in the majority of the European states. Romanian Army's fight for the liberation of the entire territory of Transylvania has stimulated the national unity consciousness and also involved all social-political forces of the country to support the war effort.

Within the frame of this national, patriotic upsurge, determined by the fight developed for driving away the German and Hungarian troops, the political parties and groups restarted their activity. Practical, all democratic parties which have managed to survive the totalitarist regimes, in spite of the past pressures and of the interdictions, normally took again their activity; the National Liberal Party and the National Peasant Party, the two principal political forces which had ruled succesively the country during the interwar period, the Social Democrat Party and the Communist Party, which becam, after August 23, governamental parties. In the ressurected Romanian political life only one past element was missing: the extreme (radical) right. The small pro-Hitlerite groups or formations scrapped together were acting isolately. Therefor, they were to try, very soon, to integrate themselves or to penetrate in the democratical parties, but this fact did not change the structure, the programme or the doctrine of these parties.

The fulfilment of the national interest measures, assumed by the new Government instaured on August 23, was the result of the collaboration between all political parties, out of any discussion of their principles, in spite of the different conceptions and ideologies of the parties integrated in the National Democrat Bloc.

Romania in World War II, ISOSIM, Bucharest 1997, pp 211-212
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Brotherhoodofthecross
Posted: May 01, 2004 02:43 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Until 23 August 1944 some 71,585 men were listed as killed. From then on, until the end of the war, 21,035 were listed as killed.

Again (I have to repeat myself). How many Romanians died following the Alliance with Soviet Union because of the Soviets? (I am talking about those that "vanished", died in the "re-education" camps and so on).
I was reffering to what the Romanians have been going through as German's Allies as compared to when they were Soviet's Allies. Further, I dared to insinuate that there were less Romanians killed by the Germans (as enemies) than there were killed by the Soviets (as allies). And I did this because you put so much emphasis on the Bucharest bombing by the Germans.

The using of word treason is inappropriate IMO, because, as far as I know, Romania did not owe anything to Hitler and Nazi Germany, as long as he couldn't anymore guarantee its status-quo. And this was clearly the case in August 1944.

I have flash backs. I have seen that before in Romania and it is called "denial".
It was treason, maybe not "technically" as you like to insinuate. IMO about it is inappropriate to discuss about treason the way you do, its one of those things...
And we as Romanians should start accepting that. And everyone should agree on that. Everyone meaning those that say that it would had been better (long-term) to keep fighting against the Soviets, on the German side (I am one of those) and those that say that it was better to submitt to the Soviets and save as much as possible from the Romanian teritory and avoid the chance of becomming another Soviet Republic. I would agree to disagree with the later ones but those usually scream loud that there was "no treason" intead of saying that it was a "justified treason".
One more thing, probably you know that quote:
"Treason is justified and there is no shame in doing it when you WIN". WE LOST for God's sake!!!. That makes even more shameful!

"The words "Russian/Soviet alliance" are not even mentioned in my post, so I find it pretty difficult to see how you came to such a conclusion. I believe what I meant is expressed bluntly.

I thought that one of the condition (as imposed by the Russians) for the secretly negociated arminstice (you mentioned the arminstice, right?) was to fight against the former allies (the Germans) on the Soviet side. I cannot understand why you insist of separating those two issues. You cannot have one without the other.
PM
Brotherhoodofthecross
Posted: May 01, 2004 02:55 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Victor, you "made it sound like" so you're so obviously guilty that only the penal battalion can possibly redeem you. Please, ban yourself for a few days  laugh.gif

Have you ever thought about becoming a lawyer? rolleyes.gif
PM
Brotherhoodofthecross
Posted: May 01, 2004 03:06 am
Quote Post

Soldat

When we reached south of Bacau we stopped for a while in a forest nearby the road. In that moment the joy bursted out. Everyone was asking something, everyone was laughing and crying. The soldiers were convinced that peace was to come tomorrow. None had the time to listen to the voices of the wood, the leaves which rustled, the birds which sang their songs.

I wonder if those soldiers, were aware that they were about to submit to the Soviets and start fighting against the Germans not only to free Transylvania (indeed a good reason to fight) but also to "free", Hungary, be used as cannon meat and so on... I wonder if they would had been that happy it they knew what was about to come upon Romania for the next 50 years (or should we say 60?).

Anyway, the text is very poeticall with the singing birds and the monologues and all that smile.gif
PM
Brotherhoodofthecross
Posted: May 01, 2004 03:28 am
Quote Post

Soldat

The fulfilment of the national interest measures, assumed by the new Government instaured on August 23, was the result of the collaboration between all political parties, out of any discussion of their principles, in spite of the different conceptions and ideologies of the parties integrated in the National Democrat Bloc.

I have to agree this sounds very nice (for a non-Romanian). smile.gif It doesn't sound like propaganda. Oh no, not at all laugh.gif
I wonder if those political leaders would had been so enthusiastic if they knew what will happen to them later on :guns: . I wonder to which extent was influenced their decision by the desire (and hope) to save their own skin. When it comes to the Red Plague and those that had to do with it (politicians), I respect only the Martyrs.

I also wonder what the reaction of the average Romanian would had been if they knew what that Soviet General said (I am sure you remember his name better)
"After we (the Russians) finish with the Romanians all they will have left is the eyes so that they can weep..." And that was (as far as I know) after the arminstice

By the way, I remember reading a while ago from the memoirs of one of the politicians who participated at the Russian-Romanian negociations for the arminstice. He didn't sound enthusiastic at all, especially after the Britts and US witnesses had turned their back (literally). Maybe you could refresh my memory and share with the others if you have some more information about that...
PM
Brotherhoodofthecross
Posted: May 01, 2004 03:49 am
Quote Post

Soldat

You make it sound like the Romanians accepted enthusiastically the new Alliance with the Russians and the fight against the Germans.

You think so? As far as I can tell, it sounded like he said that the Romanians wanted an armistice and wanted Transylvania back. Neither could be accomplished without fighting alongside their new allies.

Thats what I said too, but he (Victor) says that he did not mention about the alliance. He mentioned only the arminstice rolleyes.gif
What I criticized was the fact that it is not stated clearly if and When the Romanian troops notified about the continuation of war up to Tatra Mtns.

And if you scroll a bit further you will see that the average soldiers (and probably citizens too) were enthusiastic because they thought the war will be over soon and that the 'shift' will run smooth. The officers were happy only for a moment, after that, they realised (given their experience) that the future doesn't look good under Soviet command and they weren't so happy anymore. This makes me think that the soldiers were not briefed clearly on purpose, and it also make me think that the back then politicians were aware of the fate of Romania but made their decision mainly because they wanted to save their very skin. But they have forgotten they had to do with the Russians NOT with the Allies.

Cheers big-ears!
PM
Victor
Posted: May 01, 2004 07:45 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Again (I have to repeat myself). How many Romanians died following the Alliance with Soviet Union because of the Soviets? (I am talking about those that "vanished", died in the "re-education" camps and so on).
I was reffering to what the Romanians have been going through as German's Allies as compared to when they were Soviet's Allies. Further, I dared to insinuate that there were less Romanians killed by the Germans (as enemies) than there were killed by the Soviets (as allies). And I did this because you put so much emphasis on the Bucharest bombing by the Germans.

Sorry, I did not read too carefully. Unfortunately there is no complete statistic of those who returned to Romania from the Soviet Union's POW camps. Also there is no statistic about how many of those roughly 130,000 taken POWs after 24 August 1944 by the Soviets came back. Until September 1947 only 89,696 (including the men in the two volunteer divisions) of the 309,533 MIAs in the war in the East had returned. To the same date, 4,603 men from the 58,43 MIAs in the war with the Axis had returned. 642 of 975 Romanian soldiers who were in different schools in Germany on 23 August returned.

But I do not see what is the relevance of this, when related with the support for the act on 23 August 1944. This happened after that. If you want to discuss if it was the right/wrong decision there are, IIRC, already several threads about it.

It was treason, maybe not "technically" as you like to insinuate. IMO about it is inappropriate to discuss about treason the way you do, its one of those things...

I do not insinuate it. I stated my opinion clearly and I will stand by it with arguments. There is no "hidden" meaning to my posts. Nor do I have a secret agenda or something like that, as a former member of this forum "insinuated" time after time.

"Treason is justified and there is no shame in doing it when you WIN". WE LOST for God's sake!!!. That makes even more shameful!

Treason is not justified by anything.

I thought that one of the condition (as imposed by the Russians) for the secretly negociated arminstice (you mentioned the arminstice, right?) was to fight against the former allies (the Germans) on the Soviet side. I cannot understand why you insist of separating those two issues. You cannot have one without the other.

And the Romanian side insisted that the German be given 15 days to evacuate their forces from inside Romania, to which the Soviets agreed, not without mentioning their doubt that the Germans would do such a thing. From my point of view this condition, which was initially respected by the Romanian troops, who did not engage in fighting with their former allies, exonerates the treason accusations. This is why I separate the two issues. Of course Romania would have eventually declared war to Germany too, after it would have declared war to Hungary. But it did not do it from the first moment.

Thats what I said too, but he (Victor) says that he did not mention about the alliance. He mentioned only the arminstice
What I criticized was the fact that it is not stated clearly if and When the Romanian troops notified about the continuation of war up to Tatra Mtns.

The Romanian troops actually went further than the Tatra Mountains. But Curioso's inquiry was related to 23 August, not the aftermath.
Victor
Posted: May 01, 2004 07:45 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

As to Romania not owing anything to Germany, however, there was the Tripartite Pact, which Romania had joined.

Germany offered guarantees to preserve the Romanian status quo in September 1940. It was clearly in August 1944 that it was in no position to fulfill its promises. Since Romanian interests could not be satisfied by Hitler and Germany anymore, it was normal IMO to seek another way to try to solve the difficult situation.

I am curious, however, to see a summary of the Tripartite Pact and what were the obligations of the signing parties.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0420 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]