Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (7) « First ... 5 6 [7]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> RAF/Commonwealth operations over Romania, recce, night bombings, targets, losses
Cantacuzino
Posted: September 27, 2006 08:40 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

TINCABESTI - 12th November

Thank you for the fast reply. I would be very happy to help arrange transport to and from the Cemetery as we always have plenty of car space. We are usually invited back to the Ambassador's house afterwards......and that means ALL of us !!.

We will talk more about the arrangements, but please inform those that you feel should be there and I will inform the Embassy as a matter of courtesy of what we are planning to do.

Military Attaches from EU and Commonwealth countries come to lay wreaths every year, but to see little old men lay flowers for former adversaries........that is what it is all about for me.

Until now six rom. WWII vet. accepted the invitation for "Remebrance Day" service at Tancabesti:

1. G-ral av. Dobran Ioan (ex Bf 109G pilot)
2. Comandor av. Marinciu Ioan ( ex Bf 109G pilot)
3. G-ral av. Dan Stoian ( ex Ju 88 pilot)
4. Comandor Lucaci Mihai ( ex Bf 109E pilot)
5. Comandor av. Dragos Stinghe ( ex bf 109 G pilot)
6. Comandor av. Nicolae Traian( ex Blenheim pilot)

Soon the list will be updated. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on September 28, 2006 08:35 am
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: October 30, 2006 11:47 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

We will talk more about the arrangements, but please inform those that you feel should be there and I will inform the Embassy as a matter of courtesy of what we are planning to do.

Military Attaches from EU and Commonwealth countries come to lay wreaths every year, but to see little old men lay flowers for former adversaries........that is what it is all about for me.

Talk to you soon.

Hi Peter,

Do you have any news for the " Remembrance day "arrangement ?

I allready talked with some vet. about this.

Dan.

PS: check your PM message.
PM
electric
Posted: October 30, 2006 04:44 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 380

I would like to participate to the "Remebrance Day" service at Tancabesti.
Do you have some details on time/hour?

thanks,
electric
PMEmail Poster
wannermaker
Posted: October 16, 2008 02:50 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2274

I am looking for any information or sources on RAF recce missions over Romania, specifically Northwest Transylvania. I am looking for aerial photographs of this region and because these photos have only recently been declassified, they are not catalogued. Therefore I need to know specifics, and have not had very much luck at my local library. Any help at all would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

This post has been edited by wannermaker on October 16, 2008 02:50 pm
PMEmail Poster
flighty
Posted: August 07, 2009 08:32 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2581

Hi everyone,

this is a bit of a long shot but I am looking for more detail of my father's last mission flying over Szombathely, Hungary. I know this is the Romanian site but I can't find an Hungarian equivalent. He was shot down in a Wellington from 104 squadron, based at Foggia on the night of 21/22 October 1944. He and his crewed baled out and survived. My father's name was Norman Flight and he was the pilot. I have a copy of the w/op log book entry for that night. The Wellington serial number was LP501u. Any help would be gratefully received.
Regards, Ross.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: August 08, 2009 07:08 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I found 1 Wellington of 70 Sq., 1 B-24D of 34 SAAF Sq. and an unidentified RAF bomber lost over Szombathely on Oct. 21, where at least one crewmember was killed. Your father's mount - if none of the crew was killed - must have been another Wellington. All these were shot down by Luftwaffe night fighters.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
flighty
Posted: August 08, 2009 07:24 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2581

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I am pretty sure all my father's crew survived. I think I may have even found the name of the pilot who shot him down from a book of Luftwaffe Night Fighter Combat Claims.
The pilot listed in the book as Oblt Josef Kraft shot down 3 aircraft that night of the 21st October over Szombathely, a B-24 and 2 Wellingtons. As roughly about 5 aircraft were lost from a total of 74 on that raid that night there is a chance my dad's was one of them.
Thanks again for your help,
Ross
PMEmail Poster
tiptopjohn
Posted: August 02, 2012 09:26 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3355

Hello,

The Pilot of the Wellington Bomber was my Grandads Brother Stanley Clarke, would really like to contact anyone who knows the whereabouts of the wreckage, as would like to come over to Romania and see it for myself and visit his grave.

I have a photograph of Stanley if anyone would be interested?

Anyone can contact me on: john.pearson902@gmail.com

John Pearson
7 Coronation Drive,
Forest Town,
Mansfield,
Notts
NG190AJ
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (7) « First ... 5 6 [7]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0372 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]