Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gen Avramescu - Alternative to Dr. Groza Gov. 1945, New Article
mabadesc
Posted: March 19, 2014 06:28 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

For those interested, there is a new, very well documented article about the causes leading to Gen. Avramescu's death in this month's issue of Historia magazine.
As some of you may recall, Historia published a front-cover article on Gen. Avramescu last year. Although last year's article, authored by Marcel Stanescu, was well-intentioned and laudative, it did not go into depth and mentioned in passing the same far-fetched idea that he was arrested due to supposed ties with the Iron Guard.

This new follow-up article, however, is ground-breaking in producing well-documented, hard historical evidence from OSS, Soviet, and Romanian archives, all pointing to the fact that Avramescu was on a very short list (2 people) to be appointed as prime minister following Radescu. In fact, king Mihai I did propose this appointment to him, which he accepted.

Benefitting from political support from both sides of the Romanian political spectrum (PSD, PNL, PNT) as well as from public support, Avramescu could not be publicly arrested by the Soviets, who wished to impose Dr. Groza as the next prime minister. Therefore, he was recalled to the front, where he was secretely arrested to clear the way for Dr. Groza.

I highly recommend the article, which, I believe, comes with a lot of fresh archival information and makes an important step in solving the mystery surrounding his death.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0370 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]