Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Reenacting Romanian WW2, looking for materials to start with
CSIR
Posted: May 04, 2005 06:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 581

Hello all,
I wanted to start reenacting Romanian Army authentically, I figure I will need reference material on the uniforms to start (even in Romanian as along as there are good period photos, militaria photos of originals etc.).

Next I'd want to start purchasing originals that I may be able to copy, they don't have to be in great shape but in good to very good condition: infantryman uniform, headgear, etc.

Lastly is there a source in Romania that could supply me with buttons and accessories in case others also want to follow me in doing this impression?

Thanks in advance for all the guidance and help.
PM
Dragos1984
Posted: May 05, 2005 10:40 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 168

hey
I was wandering were would you like to reenact? because I would be very much interested in joining in.
I don't have any ww2 Romanian uniforms but I do got some pictures and medals.
im sure the uniforms can be copied very easily so that should not be a problem.
let me know what you plan to do.

Dragos
PMYahooMSN
CSIR
Posted: May 06, 2005 01:18 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 581

Hey Dragos,
you're definitely welcome to join me. I'm in Ireland right now but I travel all over to reenact, I just came back from a reenactment in the States. Maybe what you can do is go to those weekend markets and try to find original WWII infantry uniforms that we can copy in all the detail just like the originals. That's half the fun for me if I have everything that I'm wearing be as real as possible.

Can you tell me if there are good uniform books in Romania for me to buy? What about original equipment, can that be obtained? Like I said I'd like to do all the research first and get originals then decide on a unit to portray. I'd like us to look like we could be in one of those original pictures.

Let me know what you can do on your end, I can reproduce the uniforms as I'm a tailor.

CSIR
PM
Victor
Posted: May 06, 2005 05:35 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

For better details on uniforms, I suggest you take a look at this older thread:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1176
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dragos1984
Posted: May 06, 2005 05:50 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 168

hey .
I wish I was in Romania right now but unfortunately im stuck in Canada lol.
I was thinking in taking a trip down there this summer for some battle field metal detecting and of course looking for some great military antiques.
now I am in the process of getting my self a Dutch M29 helmet from my friend that owns a surplus store in downtown KW.
And I would have to say that's a start to the reenacting process.
but I will do some research on the net ill contact some of my cousins in Romania and ask them if they can do some market hunting and find some WW2 uniforms.

Dragos
PMYahooMSN
RHaught
Posted: October 03, 2006 09:06 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (CSIR @ May 04, 2005 06:24 pm)
Hello all,
I wanted to start reenacting Romanian Army authentically, I figure I will need reference material on the uniforms to start (even in Romanian as along as there are good period photos, militaria photos of originals etc.).

Next I'd want to start purchasing originals that I may be able to copy, they don't have to be in great shape but in good to very good condition: infantryman uniform, headgear, etc.

Lastly is there a source in Romania that could supply me with buttons and accessories in case others also want to follow me in doing this impression?

Thanks in advance for all the guidance and help.

Suggest getting a repro and working from it. Original items might be difficult to find.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
RHaught
Posted: October 03, 2006 09:36 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

anyone have any ideas on what items would be acceptable?

Look at the Polish items for this one.
Armia Militaria
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
mihnea
Posted: October 03, 2006 10:05 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

From the polish list you can use: the repro gas mask bag Md 32, the bayonet frog for the Austro-Hungarian bayos (I'm 100% sure they can hold VZ 24 bayonets), the reproduction shovel carrier and the first aid dressing (but the markings need to be changed)
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: October 08, 2006 09:01 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Have the gasmask canisters taken care of with a friend in Bucharest. My question is the rucksack. What one would be acceptable since none are available?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Kepi
Posted: October 09, 2006 07:27 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 680

I think is not compulsory to have a backpack (rucksack or something) as the Romanian soldiers carried no such kind of equipment in action. In most photos they had only the bread bags (with mess tin), canteen, gas mask, ammo pouches and the entrenching tool/bayonet, eventually with the tent sheet/greatcoat carried rolled-up ever the left shoulder (as the Russians). In most cases they left their knapsacks at the regimental train.

However, I think it’s not difficult to acquire a WW2 style communist period rucksack, as many retired officers received such items for their campaign kit and now they could be found on some flea markets.

As it was several times posted on this forum, the communist times knapsack (see: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...=knapsack&st=90 ) was very similar to the WW2 model ( see: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=2992 ).
PMEmail Poster
RHaught
Posted: October 09, 2006 09:54 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Kepi,

It is important for the Living History events that will be going on later as well as to complete the impression. I have a german one (marked and dated) that I use for such purposes and it comes in handy at events as well.
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Kepi
Posted: October 10, 2006 05:41 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

If you have a german rucksack (army or gebirgs jaegers style) it might be OK for a Romanian impression, even if I never saw in the WW2 photos Romanian soldiers carrying such kind of equipment.

There’s out of question to carry a M.1934 german rectangular knapsack (with a furred or canvas front flap).
PMEmail Poster
Messerschmitt
Posted: October 12, 2006 08:27 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 975

good idea! i would like to join you . By the way, i found in a antiqity maket(piata de vechituri) a bayonet but i don`t exctly know its age and i found one Black Cross. if u need them.. tell me

P.S I am in romania
PMEmail PosterYahoo
RHaught
Posted: October 14, 2006 10:10 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

What about the Polish overcoat? Know the AEF WWI overcoat could be converted and would neeed buttons. Here are some pics of a repro Polish coat.

Pics from Schipperfabrik
Front
user posted image

Back
user posted image

Also, Kepi can you email me the pics you had of the Romanian overcoat?

This post has been edited by RHaught on October 14, 2006 10:12 am
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
Kepi
Posted: October 18, 2006 06:04 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

I think the American WW1 greatcoat is the best solution for a possible conversion into a Romanian WW2 greatcoat. The Polish model is not suitable for such a transformation because it is single breasted and has a rear back strap. See also: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...pic=2360&st=135.

A photo representing a WW2 greatcoat could be seen here: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3090&hl=
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0791 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]