Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lt. aviator Ioan Oprisan
Alexandru C.
Posted: May 17, 2020 07:33 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 3326

Hi,

Lt. Ioan Oprisan died on 14.08.1934. I have a letter received by my grandfather from another aviator wich signed "Aristide" (could be Lt. Aristide Dumitrescu). He describes the death circumstances. They both executed a 20 min flight, Lt. Oprisan on an I.A.R. and "Aristide" on a P.Z.L.
While Lt. Oprisan was coming to landing after his acrobatic exercise, the plane engaged in a spiral and hit the ground. He died instantly.
Can you tell me what type of I.A.R. it was? My supposition is I.A.R.-14.

Thanks and regards.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: May 19, 2020 04:11 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

In 1934, only the I.A.R. 14 was built in series (all other aircraft bearing the I.A.R. name were prototypes). Therefore, I believe your supposition is correct.
It would be great to know the unit Lt. av. Ioan Oprisan, and the location of the accident. It would narrow down the possibilities.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Alexandru C.
Posted: May 20, 2020 11:27 am
Quote Post

Caporal

It’s weird because the I.A.R. 14 appears without any accident, e.g Wikipedia, but of course this source it’s not always very accurate.

I don’t have additional info but I think they were part of the Pipera Fighter Flotilla except Fighter Squadron 2. I know the members of Squadron 2 because my grandfather was part of it.
At the aerial meeting on 26 aug. 1934 Bra?ov Cpt. Ath. Georgescu, Lt. N. Ticulescu (Fighter Squadron 2, my grandfather) and Adj.-chief M. Giossan (also Fighter Squadron 2) flew in formation of 3 I.A.R. planes.
I hope it helped a little.
Alexandru
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: May 20, 2020 11:32 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Thanks, Alexandru. Your answer certainly helps clarifying the events.

Don't take Wikipedia as valid source. The story of the I.A.R. 14 fighter trainers is very sketchy, not much concrete information is available.

By chance, do you have the logbook (carnet de sbor) of your grandfather? That would further clarify the topic.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Alexandru C.
Posted: May 20, 2020 01:16 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Unfortunately we don't have it anymore. You can find some info about his activity here https://www.aviatori.ro/dict_pers.php?sel=T , part of them from Mr. Dan Antoniu.

Alexandru
PMEmail Poster
Alexandru C.
Posted: October 22, 2023 07:50 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

According to the "Dimineata" newspaper of 16.08.1934, Lt. Oprisan was flying on a I.A.R. 14, plane, No 3.
PMEmail Poster
Alexandru C.
Posted: October 25, 2023 07:05 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

The accident was near the Pipera airfield.
Alexandru
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0492 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]