Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Non-aggression pact with SU, 1933
Imperialist
Posted: October 29, 2010 11:33 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

Maybe memory plays tricks on me at this late hour, but I don't seem to remember reading or hearing about this before:

July 1933 Soviet-Romanian Non-Aggression Pact

The Romanian and Soviet governments signed a Pact of Non-Aggression after lengthy negotiations. The Russians recognized Romania's claim to Bessarabia and the World War I border agreements. The pact reflected East European fears of a resurgent Germany and Russia's pre-occupation with events in the Far East.

--------------------
I
PM
MMM
Posted: October 30, 2010 10:44 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

Jesus, NO!!!!!
This is more than unreal, this is "Unreal Tournament" by now... I must check out the date to see what exactly happened then; but the answer is NO, USSR NEVER recognised Bessarabia as part of Romania!!!!

This post has been edited by MMM on October 30, 2010 11:01 am

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: October 30, 2010 12:54 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

This is what I found:

CONVENTION BETWEEN THE USSR, CZECHOSLOVAKIA, YUGOSLAVIA , ROMANIA, AND TURKEY ON THE DEFINITION OF AGGRESSION
London, 4 July 1933

http://www.rastko.rs/istorija/diplomatija/kod_e.html

--------------------
I
PM
Agarici
Posted: October 30, 2010 09:10 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

If I remember correctly, that Convention was indeed signed by USSR, but it was never put into practice. The so-called recognition was only implicit (so basically MMM is right), being an official (multilateral) act to which USSR was part, which was also signed by Romania, by which the latter and its borders were recognized as such. Although it wasn’t per se a bilateral non-aggression agreement between the two countries, I think the Convention was the maximal moment of bilateral Ro-SU détente in the interwar years, being part of the (also formal but rather informal) Titulescu - Litvinov series of negotiations for signing a non-aggression treaty (the next step, as it was seen by Romania, in recognizing its post-WW 1 borders by the USSR), which never materialized.
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: March 30, 2011 08:32 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

From a NET Chronology, in russian, about Bassarabia Operation 1940 :
1940.03.29, Moscow.
At the session of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the People's Commissar for Foreign Affairs V.Molotov declared: "We have not a nonaggression pact with Romania. This is due to the unresolved disputed issue of Bassarabia, which capture by Romania, Soviet Union never recognized, although it never called for the return of Bessarabia by military means. "
PMEmail Poster
contras
Posted: January 01, 2012 12:43 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 2693

About the tensions on Dniestr river during interwar period.

http://cristiannegrea.blogspot.com/2011/12...ti-romanii.html
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0324 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]