Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Previous school,highschool,college years before 89
alex77
Posted: May 19, 2016 01:13 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3756

I mean the years before Nicolae Ceausescu.How was schooling back then?Was it more different than nowadays?When you were entering a highschool or college you were getting out with something usefull and applicable?How many study hours were there in that time?Were there manuals,exercises books,notebooks for all scholars?How severe were the teachers?Was there correctness in that time?I mean when you shared something to someone everything was equal to superiors and inferiors.
We could put in our disscusion world war 2.
I had an uncle in my country and he had 2 jobs electrician and accountant.He fought in the first and the second war.By 1945 he abandoned his first lieutenant function in the army and he choosed these 2 jobs.I dont know how he got promoted from the rank soldier to first lieutenant.Maybe he was a cultivated man(he had an entire library at his service so i guess he was a geek).
Why can't we learn nowadays lots of information like back then?

This post has been edited by alex77 on May 19, 2016 01:13 pm
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: May 21, 2016 07:01 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (alex77 @ May 19, 2016 01:13 pm)

I had an uncle in my country and he had 2 jobs electrician and accountant.He fought in the first and the second war.By 1945 he abandoned his first lieutenant function in the army and he choosed these 2 jobs.I dont know how he got promoted from the rank soldier to first lieutenant.Maybe he was a cultivated man(he had an entire library at his service so i guess he was a geek).

It is interesting that you used the word "function" rather than "rank" in relation to your uncle's position of "lieutenant" in the army. The romanian army has a saying: "functia bate gradul" (function beats rank). It is hard to explain, but for example an officer with the function of "battalion commander" and the rank of "Captain" is more important than a, let's say, an officer with the function of "quartermaster" in the same battalion with the rank of "Major". Your uncle may have got what is called a "battlefield promotion/commission" where by he took the "function" of "lieutenant" while his actual "rank" remained "private". Such battlefield promotions are often temporary, but sometimes they can be made permanent in really extraordinary circumstances, such as for example Ecaterina Teodoroiu. A private can make it all the way to marshall (some did so in Napoleon's army) with some hard work, but that involves experience, a few years in military academies, tests, etc.
HTH
Radu

This post has been edited by Radub on May 21, 2016 09:55 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
halesjason
Posted: May 24, 2018 11:39 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 4162

I am not from that era but I can recommend a book called 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0616 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]