Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanians within some other armies
johnny_bi
Posted: June 21, 2003 11:07 am
Quote Post

Sergent major

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

There some Romanians within the american or british army?
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: June 23, 2003 04:17 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 9

Yes indeed, Romanians did participate on the Western Allied side in WWII. I don't know nothing about their presence in the British Army. But within the U.S. armed forces, over 5.000 Romanian men served during WWII and distinguished themselves on various fronts. Hundreds of Romanian American women also served in the U.S. Army or WAVE during WWII.
PMUsers Website
johnny_bi
Posted: June 23, 2003 10:39 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 6

Do you have any detailed information on this subject ?
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: June 25, 2003 07:54 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Unfortunately, I do not have any detailed information... :oops:

But I do have some sources :

"Lieutnant Alex Vraciu, the Indestructible." NEW PIONEER 3 (February 1944): 27.

Short article devoted to a brave Romanian American pilot and his daring missions on the Pacific front.

"Lieutnant Vraciu, Navy Top Ace Is of Romanian Descent." NEW PIONEER 2 (October 1944): 10-11.

Short biography of Alex Vraciu, born in East Chicago, Indiana, who downed nineteen Japanese planes. Picture.

"Military News." NEW PIONEER 2 (October 1944): 18-20.

Romanian Americans taking part in the military actions of the Allied Forces on June 6, 1944, in Normandie, France.

"Our Heroes." NEW PIONEER 1 (November 1942): 6-9; 2 (February 1943): 16-25; (April 1943): 20-25; (July-September 1943): 35-47; 3 (October 1944): 26-45.

Lists of over five thousand Romanian men, accompanied by pictures, who served in the U.S. armed forces during World War II, and distinguished themselves on various fronts.

"Our Heroines." NEW PIONEER 2 (February 1943): 15; (April 1943): 89.

Lists of hundreds of Romanian American women who served in the U.S. armed forces or WAVE during WWII. Photographs included.
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: June 26, 2003 02:05 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

It depends who can be considered Rumanian.

For example, recently I came across the following name in a Luftwaffe personnel roster:
"Oberleutnant Nicolai (2./NAGr. 14) "

I was wondering if Olt. Nicolai was, in fact, a Rumanian pilot, who served within the Luftwaffe (possibly after the coup d'état of 23 August 1944).

However, I received the following reply from a German researcher:
"Wolfgang Nicolai was born 12. Feb. 1918 at Finsterhagen, Kreis Gotha. This is Central Germany, far away from Rumania.
Seems to be of German origin, in spite of his name."

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Geto-Dacul
Posted: June 26, 2003 03:05 am
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

"Nicolai" (Nicolaï) is typically Slavo-Germanic... After all I know, the Romanian version of the name is Nicolae.

Best regards,

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: June 26, 2003 02:44 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Back in the 1940s, the name Nicolai, instead of Nicolae, was a quite common spelling form in Rumania. The 'e' and 'i' at the and of names were often interchanged, e.g. Vizanti-Vizante, or Ursachi-Ursache, just to mention a few famous fighter pilots.
Even today, the family name 'Nicolai' is common, see Mrs. Norica Nicolai, Senator, Rumanian Senate...

Dénes
Geto-Dacul
Posted: June 26, 2003 03:42 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

You are right Dénes! I remember reading the book of a Romanian-Moldavian prisoneer of the early Stalinist régime named Neculai Popa. So the two versions of the terminology exist, but today you see more "Nicolae" than "Nicolai" or "Niculai".

But there are also many other versions of the name... Invented by stranger to apparently integrate in the Romanian nation. A good example is the more fictive name Sergiu Nicolau (Serghei Niconov).

Best regards,

Getu'
PMUsers Website
daveh
Posted: June 28, 2003 09:22 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 10

Hi Geto-Dacul

can you tell me a little more about the NEW PIONEER that you mention please. I would be fascinated to follow up the stories of romanians fighting in western armies... yet another area I know nothing about.
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: June 28, 2003 04:20 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

daveh, I'm sorry to disapoint you but unfortunately I do not have any of these magazines... The sources that I mentionned are from a book about the Romanians in USA and Canada. This book features only lists classed by categories about Romanian newspapers, organizations etc. sad.gif
PMUsers Website
allanteo667
Posted: July 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 20

But what about the romanian volunteers in the Waffen SS?

Does anyone know if they fought the allies on the western front (or their exact number smile.gif )?
PM
Victor
Posted: July 05, 2003 02:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

But what about the romanian volunteers in the Waffen SS?

Does anyone know if they fought the allies on the western front (or their exact number  :) )?

See my reply in the 1000 Mann Aktion thread.
inahurry
Posted: August 01, 2003 01:24 am
Quote Post

Sergent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

Nicolai was practically never used for Romanian first name, unless, of course, was the first name of someone of slavic origin or the parents eccentricity.

Niculae or Neculai as variants to Nicolae, yes.

The i or e at the end of the family/last name (Ursachi/e etc.) is another matter.

I know for sure that one Romanian-American was killed at the Pearl Harbour attack(was in the Navy) but unfortunately I forgot the source.
PM
inahurry
Posted: August 01, 2003 01:32 am
Quote Post

Sergent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

about Norica Nicolai - Nicolai is here the family/last name. And even as a last name it is not common at all. Sorry to disappoint you. Norica even less.

You can find a lot of Nicolau or Niculiu or other variants for the last name that are emerged probably from a common Nicolae ( or Nicu - its short form.

Nicolae being the Romanian for Nicholas (for those who don't speak Romanian).
PM
C-2
Posted: August 01, 2003 09:11 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Sorry ,but Alex Vraciu is an American.
Yes his parents were born in Romania but Alex was born like I said in the US.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1295 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]