Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> German Units in Buzau
Toxaba
Posted: December 04, 2015 03:51 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3711

Does anyone know about german units stationed in Buzau ? Or passing through in retreat in 1944. I know there were heavy street fights in the city around Central Palace and Police Station area. They were rearguard, sacrificed themselves all for their camarades .
PMEmail Poster
Taz1
Posted: December 08, 2015 09:19 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2414

Buzau was a regruping point for all the german forces that manage to escape from Moldova front . Many units passed through Buzau. Remanins of the 13 panzer divizion, 10 panzergrenadier divizion, different stug batallions, infanterie regiments like 306 infanterie division. They manage stop the russions for a while. They were resuplied by air with fuell and ammo.
Do you have more informations regarding the fights in Buzau in 1944 ?
Here is a map : http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/i/2dwr-fk.jpg
Some info : http://www.kerstinullrich.de/Fam2-Kriegsge...aft/Teil-2.html
PMEmail Poster
Toxaba
Posted: December 10, 2015 01:35 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3711

QUOTE (Taz1 @ December 08, 2015 09:19 pm)
Buzau was a regruping point for all the german forces that manage to escape from Moldova front . Many units passed through Buzau. Remanins of the 13 panzer divizion, 10 panzergrenadier divizion, different stug batallions, infanterie regiments like 306 infanterie division. They manage stop the russions for a while. They were resuplied by air with fuell and ammo.
Do you have more informations regarding the fights in Buzau in 1944 ?
Here is a map : http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/i/2dwr-fk.jpg
Some info : http://www.kerstinullrich.de/Fam2-Kriegsge...aft/Teil-2.html

Thanks for infos ! Great map ! I don't know too much ...the Russians attacked the Palace (where germans fought) with artillery guns and destroyed the clock tower. There weren't many germans left behind in the end to delay the Russians advance, maybe max 1 platoon. Now they are resting in HEROES CEMETERY, beside the Romanians. Russians have their own resting place...
My grandfather told me about a german cannon abandoned in 1944 outside the village of BREAZA (where my family once lived), located in the Hill Istrita area. That artillery high position controlled the road Buzau - Mizil. I also know that my grand grand ones sheltered in the basement a young german soldier who asked for help at their door. But in the end of 1944 the soldier left for Germany saying that he would send a letter on arrival. Never happened. I don't know man's name and there is nobody to ask anymore.
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: December 13, 2015 06:26 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

So, "Toxaba", it seems that your concern is focused only for the city of Buzau, and only for 1944.
If we consider the county of Buzau, that would include Râmnicu Sărat.

Few miles from Râmnicu Sărat there is an airfield at Boboc, that was operated by the Romanian Army from the days before World War One.
Boboc being quite close to Prut River, from an aeronautical point of view, it was quickly taken over by Luftwaffe, who built a strong airbase, with long term facilities (barracks, kitchens etc.).
In the weeks preceding Barbarossa there were many German troops stationed around Boboc and Râmnicu Sărat, waiting for the invasion to come.

Soon after June 22nd 1941, when groups of Soviet bombers were coming unprotected for various Romanian targets, pairs of Messerschmidt 109's would take off from Boboc and bring havoc into bomber groups few times bigger in numbers. In one instance 2 of Me-109's shot down all 8 twin engine bombers that were in their way.
As the front moved far away, things got quiet once more around Râmnicu Sărat.
I have to remind that in those days there was a separate county named Râmnicu Sărat, that in the days of the Communists was mostly incorporated in Buzău county.
PM
Florin
Posted: December 14, 2015 03:56 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Toxaba @ December 10, 2015 08:35 am)
[. . . . .]  I also know that my grand grand ones sheltered in the basement a young german soldier who asked for help at their door. But in the end of 1944 the soldier left for Germany saying that he would send a letter on arrival. Never happened. I don't know man's name and there is nobody to ask anymore.

In the days when my grandparents lived in Râmnicu Sărat, for few years they had as neighbors a family with quite an interesting story.
Another stray German soldier found benevolent shelter in a Romanian family.
I wrote "another" because you mentioned one in your story.

In this case the host's daughter liked the German soldier, so they got married.
This guy had a natural blonde hair so, in order to don't draw attention, he dyed his hair for a number of years.
When they were neighbors with my grandparents, this was several years after WWII, and things were now peaceful enough to allow the German to show his natural blonde hair.
My grandfather liked to talk with him, to share memories from the Eastern Front.
If I remember right, this guy established the link with some German relatives and the couple left for West Germany, with their blonde kids smile.gif .

This post has been edited by Florin on December 14, 2015 04:00 am
PM
Ferdinand
Posted: December 14, 2015 07:05 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 1486

QUOTE (Florin @ December 14, 2015 03:56 am)
In the days when my grandparents lived in Râmnicu Sărat...

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

My grandparents were from near Rm.Sarat. biggrin.gif

Also, there was an airfield operated by IAR80 in Ramnic, where the brakes factory stands today, airfield covered also the Targ field. wink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1830 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]