Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Romanian Battlefront in World War I
Dénes
Posted: April 18, 2012 06:51 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Just spotted on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Romanian-Battlefront.../ref=pd_sim_b_4

Short review:
Despite a strategically vulnerable position, an ill-prepared army, and questionable promises of military support from the Allied Powers, Romania intervened in World War I in August 1916. In return, it received the Allies’ formal sanction for the annexation of the Romanian-inhabited regions of Austria-Hungary. As Glenn Torrey reveals in his pathbreaking study, this soon appeared to have been an impulsive and risky decision for both parties.

Torrey details how, by the end of 1916, the armies of the Central Powers, led by German generals Falkenhayn and Mackensen, had administered a crushing defeat and occupied two-thirds of Romanian territory, but at the cost of diverting substantial military forces they needed on other fronts. The Allies, especially the Russians, were forced to do likewise in order to prevent Romania from collapsing completely.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Victor
Posted: April 19, 2012 01:18 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

I just ordered another book a couple of says ago. Had I known about this one...
Victor
Posted: December 29, 2012 08:49 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

I finally finished reading the book. It's indeed interesting, because it offers a relatively objective view of the events, something which Romania authors are not really capable of doing for obvious reasons.

Do not think of it however as a book similar to Third Axis, Fourth Ally. It focuses mostly on the politics and the military operations, without going into much detail regarding the OoB, the equipment etc.

It is a most welcomed book, because it brings to focus a part of WW1 that was usually overlooked in all major English language works on the market. For Romanians it is what we already basically knew, but for the rest it should be an eye opener. Thank you Glenn Torrey and Kansas Press Publishing.
Petre
Posted: April 06, 2015 02:02 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 2434

PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: April 09, 2015 02:47 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Dénes @ April 18, 2012 01:51 pm)

Torrey details how, by the end of 1916, the armies of the Central Powers, led by German generals Falkenhayn and Mackensen, had administered a crushing defeat and occupied two-thirds of Romanian territory, but at the cost of diverting substantial military forces they needed on other fronts. The Allies, especially the Russians, were forced to do likewise in order to prevent Romania from collapsing completely.[/i]

Gen. Dénes

Why "especially the Russians" ?
A good chance to clarify this.
Even during the days of the Communist regime, when in theory Soviet Union was our ally, our imperial Russian partner of World War One was not seen in a good light when discussing official history, while the focus was on the help that mostly France gave us in early 1917.

This post has been edited by Florin on April 09, 2015 02:49 am
PM
Petre
Posted: April 09, 2015 10:57 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

The French Mil.Mission were some 1,500 people.
Russian sources say they sent here (on the Romanian Front) a quarter of the Imperial Army. AFAIK (books), they were one milion people in Moldavia (the 9th, 4th, 6th Armyes, plus some navy & air forces). That was to stop the Central Powers to advace further.
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: April 10, 2015 12:15 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Petre @ April 09, 2015 05:57 am)
The French Mil.Mission were some 1,500 people.
Russian sources say they sent here (on the Romanian Front) a quarter of the Imperial Army. AFAIK (books), they were one milion people in Moldavia (the 9th, 4th, 6th Armyes, plus some navy & air forces). That was to stop the Central Powers to advace further.

Thank you.
As I mentioned, it seemed that the big picture of everything was not grasped even in the days when we were "friends" with Soviet Union.
PM
Petre
Posted: July 24, 2020 06:00 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Romania în Primul Razboi mondial - Glenn Torrey 2012

https://1lib.eu/book/5228711/7241ad?regionC...redirect=617774

This post has been edited by Petre on July 24, 2020 06:01 am
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0973 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]