Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Generals KIA
cainele_franctiror
Posted: January 27, 2006 08:19 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 334

How many generals were killed in actions during WW2?
PM
cainele_franctiror
Posted: January 27, 2006 08:31 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

It is right if we consider gen. Ioanitiu KIA?
Also, how actually died gen. Hercule Fortunescu?
PM
Dénes
Posted: January 27, 2006 08:35 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (cainele_franctiror @ Jan 28 2006, 02:31 AM)
It is right if we consider gen. Ioanitiu KIA?

I would say not. He died in an accident, albeit while in service.

I would categorise his death as 'died in the line of duty'.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
cainele_franctiror
Posted: January 27, 2006 08:39 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

I heard that it is a film with this accident. Also, some photos, but I never saw one.
PM
Victor
Posted: January 28, 2006 05:34 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Major general Ioan Sion, CO of the 15th Infantry Division, was KIA on 24 November 1942.

Bigadier general Alexandru Pastia, deputy CO of teh 1st Armored Division, KIA on 21 November 1942. He was promoted to the rank of general posthumously.

Fortunescu died on 1 March 1966.
steen ammentorp
Posted: January 29, 2006 08:39 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 47

If we define KIA as killed as a result of enemy action I count the following as KIAs

Brigadier-General Grigore Balan, mortally wounded by artillery fire on 9th Sep. 1944 and died in hospital four days later.

Brigadier-General Ioan Danescu, killed by artillery fire on 2nd Oct. 1941. Posthumously promoted to Brigadier-General.

Major-General Ion Glogojanu, killed by an enemy mine on 22nd Oct. 1941.

Plus the two mentioned by Victor.

However if you define KIA as instant death as a result of enemy action the Balan and Glogojanu shouldn't count.

I do have a question though. Does anybody have information on the circumstances of the death of these two:

Lieutenant-General Florea Mitranescu
Brigadier-General Corneliu Serghievici

Both died while in service.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II
PMUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: January 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (steen ammentorp @ Jan 29 2006, 09:39 PM)
Major-General Ion Glogojanu, killed by an enemy mine on 22nd Oct. 1941.

This has happened at the bombing of the Romanian HQ in Odessa.
PM
REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR
Posted: July 03, 2006 01:09 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 198

user posted image

Photograph of Major General Ion Glogojanu, Commander of the Romanian 10th Division, Killed in the Odessa bombing of the Romanian HQ.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=461
PMYahooMSN
LORNITZ
Posted: January 13, 2007 05:39 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1237

THE FOLLOWING WERE GENERALS WHO DIED DURING WOLRD WAR II:

GENERAL ION BENGLIU
GENERAL FLOREA MITRANESCU
GENERAL OCTAVIAN GEORGESCU
GENERAL DOBRE PARASCHIV
GENERAL DUMIRU VASILIU
GENERAL SAVA CARACAS
GENERAL ION DANESCU
GENERAL CORNELIU SERGHIEVICI

IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DETAILS ABOUT THEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

BEST REGARDS

LORNITZ
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: January 13, 2007 10:32 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (LORNITZ @ January 13, 2007 06:39 pm)
THE FOLLOWING WERE GENERALS WHO DIED DURING WOLRD WAR II:

GENERAL ION BENGLIU
GENERAL FLOREA MITRANESCU
GENERAL OCTAVIAN GEORGESCU
GENERAL DOBRE PARASCHIV
GENERAL DUMIRU VASILIU
GENERAL SAVA CARACAS
GENERAL ION DANESCU
GENERAL CORNELIU SERGHIEVICI

Gen. I. Bengliu was assassinated before the war, on 26/27 November 1940. Two other generals were assassinated that day: Gen. G. Argeseanu and Gen. G. Marinescu (see the thread on Political assassination attempts in Romania).

On the other hand, at least three names are missing from the list of WWII deaths: Gen. A. Ioanitiu, Gen. I. Sion and Gen. G. Avramescu.
PM
dragos03
Posted: January 14, 2007 12:47 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 163

There are several names missing from these lists.

One of them is Brigade General (post-mortem) Tocineanu D. Petrescu. While he was the commander of the 9th Infantry Division, Petrescu was KIA on 10 February 1943 by an artillery shell during the fights near Abinskaia, in the Caucasus.

Brigade General (Post Mortem) Cristu Cantuniar died of exhaustion in a Bucharest hospital on 1 October 1942 after leading the 6th Cavalry Division in the offensive and defensive actions in the Caucasus. Although he was sick, Cantuniar refused to be evacuated earlier and insisted on leading his unit during the defensive battle near Ahtarskaia (15-26 September), when 22 enemy attacks were repulsed. He was sent home after the end of the battle, following an order of the General Staff, too late to save his life.

Brigade General (pm) Gheorghe Carp, commander of the 7th Rosiori Regiment, was KIA on 2 September 1942 on Hill 205 in the Sukka-Novorosiisk Valley, when his command platoon was ambused by a Soviet unit.

Brigade General (pm) Ervin Claus, the commander of the 4th Rosiori Regiment, was killed on 24 September 1942 after an enemy air attack on the Kerci port.

Brigade General (pm) Raul Halunga, commander of the 10th Vanatori Regiment, was killed by an artillery shell at Bujalik on 28 August 1941, during the siege of Odessa.

Brigade General (pm) Gheorghe V. Ionescu, commander of the 6th Artillery Regiment, was KIA by machinegun fire at Katerinovka on 9 August 1941, while he was coordonating the fire of his unit from the front lines during the siege of Odessa.

Brigade General (pm) Emanoil S. Lucescu, commander of the 36th Artillery Regiment, was killed on 28 February 1942 at Tulumceak (in Crimea). After an enemy attack broke through the positions of the Romanian infantry, Lucescu's artillerymen opened direct fire on the approaching enemy infantry and then tried to defend their guns in hand-to-hand fighting when the enemy reached their positions. During these fights, the officer was mortally wounded.

Brigade General (pm) Andrei Nasta, deputy commander of the 21st Infantry Division, was KIA on 31 August 1941 at Vakarjani, when he was leading a bayonet charge during the siege of Odessa.

Brigade General (pm) Gheorghe Niculescu, commander of the 12th Dorobanti Regiment, was KIA on 9 July 1941 at Epureni (Bassarabia), while he was personally leading an infantry assault on the enemy positions.

Brigade General (pm) Dumitru Orasanu, commander of the "Lunca" battlegroup, was killed on 29 August 1941 by an enemy airstrike at Freudenthal, during the siege of Odessa.

Brigade General (pm) Richard Rottenburg, commander of the 9th Mountain Infantry Group, was KIA on 18 July 1941 at Kozlov, while leading his men from the front lines during the enemy attempt to eliminate the Romanian bridgehead on the Dniester.

Brigade General (pm) Constantin Simionescu, commander of the 39th Infantry Regiment, was KIA on 19 November 1942, while personally leading a counterattack of his encircled unit during the Battle of the Don's Bend.

Brigade General (pm) Caton Sorescu, commander of the 8th Vanatori Regiment, died on 6 September 1941 in a hospital in Iasi after being mortally wounded on 2 September in the Freudenthal area, during the siege of Odessa.

Brigade General (pm) Alexandru Toparlan, commander of the 23rd Inf. Regiment, was KIA on 13 September 1941 on Hill 66.8 near Dalnik, while personally leading a counterattack.

Gen. Hugo Schwab, commander of the 7th Army Corps, commited suicide on 24 August 1944 at Humulesti, to avoid being captured by the Soviets.
PM
dragos03
Posted: January 14, 2007 12:49 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Some info on the others:

General-Engineer Dumitru Vasiliu, the Head of the Army's Fortifications Department, was KIA in June 1942, during the battle for Sevastopol.

Brigade General (pm) Ioan Danescu, the commander of the 8th Cavalry Brigade, died on 2 October 1941, after being mortally wounded by artillery the previous day at his command post at Veselaie, during the Battle of the Azov Sea.

Florea Mitranescu died of disease and exhaustion on 21 February 1944.
PM
Victor
Posted: January 14, 2007 05:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

IMO those that the colonels thaty were promoted posthumously to the rank of brigadier-general should not be included in the list, except if they held a brigadier-general position, like col. Ioan Danescu or col. Alexandru Pastia.
dragos03
Posted: January 14, 2007 06:04 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Well, in this case at least Tocineanu D. Petrescu and Cristu Cantuniar should count, since they were division commanders.
PM
LORNITZ
Posted: January 18, 2007 06:35 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1237

EXCELLENT! THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!

BEST REGARDS
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0391 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]